none
Is it possible to create a package for the store via command line with makeappx.exe?

Question

• Can makeappx.exe create Store packages? I do not see an option to hand in the Store credentials.

Or is there a msbuild target that allows to create store packages (Publish target)?

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:55 AM

Answers

• To be clear, there is no way to supply your credential and build a package for Store using makeappx.exe on the command line. The only way you can build a store package is by going through the Create App Package wizard in the VS IDE. Alternatively, you can first associate your app with the Store inside Visual Studio, which will cause an update to the package manifest to contain Store information. Then subsequent builds on the command line using MSbuild.exe will produce the package with the correct Store information.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by mark_1h Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:21 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 10:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

You can use the command but you need to have your app manifest ready before you do so. I am not sure if you are trying to create the app manifest through command line. The following site gives you a list of commands as well as a list of syntax. Have a look at this site and let us know if you are looking for something more specific. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh446767.aspx  I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Jesse

Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Don't I also need a valid storeKey.pfx and a Package.StoreAssociation.xml file? How to I get them (or generate them)? I think the key is downloaded from the Store and is signed by MS?
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Phil,

You do need a valid Storekey and this file is created when you package the app in Visual Studio. Please take a look at the page on Signing a package. The package.storeassociation.xml will also be created in your project when you build the app for release to the Store. Look in your project folder and you should see it in there.

The important thing to keep in mind is that the Publisher attribute must match the subject field of the .pfx file. If these don’t match then they need to be updated before submitting. Here is more information on Identity.

You will be able to use the Manifest Designer to create your package double-clicking the package.appxmanifest file in Solution Explorer and selecting the Packaging tab. I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

Jesse

• Proposed as answer by Jesse_F Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:30 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Jesse, so there is no way to request a valid Storekey via commandline? We need a full command line driven process with no UI for our CI server. 
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Phil,

As long as your app manifest is set up correctly, you should be just fine. Does this have to be done via command line? Have you considered using Powershell as an alternative to do this?

Thanks,

Jesse

• Edited by Jesse_F Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:34 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:33 PM
  • can you download/request the StoreKey and StoreAssoc.xml via Powershell then this would be a valid option of course.
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:38 PM
  • Phil,

Both of these files are generated when you create the appx package, as long as you use a valid developer account in Visual Studio. I am including a link to packaging your apps that may help some, as well. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh446593(v=vs.85)

Thanks,

Jesse

• Edited by Jesse_F Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:19 PM content
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:09 PM
  • To be clear, there is no way to supply your credential and build a package for Store using makeappx.exe on the command line. The only way you can build a store package is by going through the Create App Package wizard in the VS IDE. Alternatively, you can first associate your app with the Store inside Visual Studio, which will cause an update to the package manifest to contain Store information. Then subsequent builds on the command line using MSbuild.exe will produce the package with the correct Store information.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by mark_1h Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:21 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Candy,

is VS, option Store->Create Store Packages... is diabled for me. It used to be enabled, but not any more. What am I doing wrong? I am following the same steps like before but this option continues to be disabled. How do I create a package?

Thanks,

PV

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Got it. If you have multiple projects in the solution, you need to have a proper project selected in the solution explorer so that all Store options are available.

PV

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:29 PM
  • So how does TFS create deploy packages? You cannot seriously expect developers to always create store packages via the IDE? There must be a way to do that in an CI environment.

And speaking of creating of store packages via IDE. Why do we always have to log in again and again for every package build? Ever heard of caching login credentials?

Friday, November 2, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Agree with Phil, requiring a login every time is a serious buzzkill. After we have associated a project with an app in the store there should be one click publish integration in the IDE AND there should be command line option for those of us with an actual build process.
    Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Any updates on this matter? I more or less want to do the same thing. I have written an app, my costumers will provide me there content and the output I would like is an appx with my customers account which he can submit to the store. All by command line or powershell. Is this possible?
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Hi Candy,

I just wanted to make sure if once I have already associated the app with the store via visual studio, then subsequent builds using MSBUILD would really be the same. I did associate it with the store and the files generated are similar with what was generated using MSBUILD.

I have this pending question https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/4fae4a2d-69cd-471c-afea-d313ad4fd86a/app-package-for-upload-to-store-built-using-msbuild-via-jenkins?forum=wpsubmit

and since I am not sure if the reply is correct, on the safe side, we have been building the package via Visual Studio. However, this is hard to maintain since if I am not around, no one would be able to build the package. That is the reason we setup a build server.

I hope you could answer this question

Thanks

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 1:46 AM