The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps, Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

[UWP]UWP with .net core 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How to build a UWP application with .Net Core 3.0 Preview 8 Platform.

I tried to a new UWP application project with latest Visual Studio 2019 preview but still it is pointing to .net core 2.2. Similarly i am able to use .Net Core 3.0 with WPF application but not with UWP.

Please let me know if any way to port UWP application to use .net core 3.0 preview.

Thanks,

Nagarjuna

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:43 AM

All replies

• As keenyzx said .Net Core is about the application being able to run on multiple platforms, so you have a .NET Core console application, or an ASP.NET Core application, you can run the application with the same "dotnet run" command on either Windows or Ubuntu without having to modify a single line of code.

Currently .NET Core only support two project types, Console and ASP.NET Core. UWP is still strictly Windows only, you can't write a UWP application and expect it to run on other OS than Windows.

And the latest release version is 2.2 and the matched Microsoft.NETCore.UniversalWindowsPlatform is 6.2.8. So we could not update to .Net Core 3.0 yet. Please pay attention to the following update https://github.com/Microsoft/dotnet/blob/master/releases/UWP/README.md

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:21 PM
  • If .Net Core is about being able to run on multiple platforms, why are WPF and WinForms supported when these are clearly Windows only? It seems like MS is dropping support for UWP?
    • Edited by Xiaoye Chen Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:24 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:23 AM
  • UWP and .Net Core are different things. Both are just implementations of .Net Standard: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/net-standard When you see something about .Net Core in your UWP project, it means compatibility, not implementation or dependency.

In other words, .Net Core 3.0 has support for WPF but not UWP because WPF is framework, while UWP is platform like .Net Core itself.

As you can see from the table by reference above, .Net Core 3.0, Mono and Xamarin already adopted recent .Net Standard 2.1; UWP and Unity will implement it later. UWP is tightly coupled with Windows 10, so, we can expect it next spring. If they will not adopt it, they will anyway have to switch to .Net 5 next autumn, when it will join all platforms and replace .Net Core, .Net Framework and all other stuff.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 11:01 AM
  • I like the clarification:"because WPF is framework," :)

Embedded MVP

Friday, October 25, 2019 6:31 AM