none
UWP Javascript App - Moving forward. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I’m hoping  you can give me more information about Visual Studio 2019 and UWP Javascript projects.

I understand that UWP Projects javascript projects are no longer supported in Visual Studio 2019, is there any discussion of them bringing support back.

We have a large UWP javascript project that works offline and online, what would be the recommended way forward for this project.

How long will our app be supported on Windows 10, when should we look at re-writing?

Any help greatly appreciated

Brian

Monday, September 2, 2019 11:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I could fully understand your confusion and anxiety, but for now, PMA is indeed the future trend. So I do recommend that you could try to use PWA. For more information about PWA, please refer to this link. In addition, although Visual Studio 2019 no longer supports UWP JS apps, it has no effect on running existing UWP JS apps. You can re-write js at any time in vs2017, but recommend to use PWA in vs2019.

Best Regards,

Fay

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Peacob00 Wednesday, September 4, 2019 11:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Peacob00 Wednesday, September 4, 2019 11:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 2:58 AM
  • Thanks for the response, I've been looking at using PWA in VS2019 by following this guide:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-edge/progressive-web-apps/get-started

This does not seem to work for VS2019 as it refers to the javascript "Windows Application Packaging Project" project template which is no longer available.

Do you know of any other guides to get me started with PWA and VS2019?

Regards

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

First, we recommend that you can use PWA in VS2019, which is aimed at creating the normal web app. And if you need to use some features of windows runtime, you still need to switch to VS2017 and wrap your web app with UWP.

Best Regards,

Fay

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:15 AM
  • Hi Fay, our app uses the Windows Runtime, will we ever be able to complete the process without having to use Visual Studio 2017?

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

To use Windows Runtime, you need to do it in the UWP framework. And to create a UWP framework that accommodates PWA requires Visual Studio 2017. So if you want to complete the process, you still need to use vs2017.

Best Regards,

Fay

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, September 5, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Thanks for the response, do you know where PWA UWP Apps are installed to on the local file system?

Will the behaviour stay the same for the new Chromium Edge?

Regards

• Edited by Peacob00 Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:11 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

The location installed on the computer should be consistent with the normal UWP application. And about Chromium Edge, the Chromium Edge is still in the testing stage. You can keep paying attention to this before the official documentation.

Best Regards,

Fay

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:51 AM