Design view is unavailable for x64 and ARM target platforms

Question

• I've started seeing this message when I set the Configuration Manager to build for the ARM platform. The error output also reports that LayoutAwarePage does not existing in the namespace "using:<appname>.Common", and that the member Resources is not recognised or accessible. I'm unable to access the properties of any XAML object whilst VS2012 is in this state.

These problems go away if I switch the build back to x86 but that slows down development and also seems to trigger the wiping of the Local app storage on the Surface RT when I redeploy the app; that doesn't seem to happen if I keep the configuration manager set to ARM but then I can't do any XAML work.

Any thoughts on what might have caused this or how I can try and determine what has happened? I've gone back over the source history to see what has changed but I'm not seeing anything that occurs to me as a possible cause.

Philip

Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:28 PM

Answers

• Because the XAML Designer in VS is dealing with actual types and assemblies, and because of the fact that VS is a 32-bit process, we cannot activate types from ARM and x64 binaries. Hence you are seeing this behavior. The workaround is to switch back to x86 or AnyCPU (if managed) when you want to use the XAML design surface (intellisense should continue to work no matter what configuration you choose).

Thanks,
    Unni

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:14 AM

All replies

• Could you use any cpu in the configuration manager?
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Because the XAML Designer in VS is dealing with actual types and assemblies, and because of the fact that VS is a 32-bit process, we cannot activate types from ARM and x64 binaries. Hence you are seeing this behavior. The workaround is to switch back to x86 or AnyCPU (if managed) when you want to use the XAML design surface (intellisense should continue to work no matter what configuration you choose).

Thanks,
    Unni

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:14 AM
  • I didn't think I could, because I'm using SQLite which is CPU-specific, but I'll give it a try.

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:15 AM
  • So XAML Designer *never* works if you've selected x64 or ARM as the build process?

I'm not sure if I misunderstand what you mean by Intellisense but what *definitely* breaks is the ability to work with the Properties pane when XAML Designer isn't working so even if you are working on raw XAML and not using the design surface, the experience is really poor. I might just as well be using Notepad :-(.

I hope there is a solution to this soon. I'm heavily using my Surface RT as my debugging device - a big improvement on trying to use a non-touch laptop - but this problem is having a significant impact on my productivity as I try to work on some UI/XAML issues.

Philip

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:19 AM
  • I don't think it is a bug. As it was mentioned in the previous posts, its because you have installed the x86 version of VS hence its dependencies are also x86. You can design & develop in x86 mode. Later you can publish packages specifically for x64 or ARM if required.
    • Edited by c0deslayer Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:33 PM
  • "The workaround is to switch back to x86 or AnyCPU (if managed) when you want to use the XAML design surface"

Ok but that totally sucks. Please at least fix your standalone Blend to work with 64bit. Nobody wants to constantly dance around with targets. How am I supposed to design or debug a 64bit only app?

Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:46 AM
  • Have the same issue and in fact with SQLite too

I have use that workarround, the one that change the platform when XAML and then change again when debug.. is a pain

Hope thete is a better answer to this

I'm using VS 2013 Update 4

Saturday, December 27, 2014 7:16 PM
  • I just want echo the wish of others.  I have to target ARM for a project.  Switching between targets is a nuisance.

Hong

Friday, March 20, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Maybe raise the feedback at https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 1:04 AM