1. speaker icon with red cross: mouseover; the audio service is not running
2. control panel/hardware&sound/sound: mouseclick: audio service is not running - enable windows audio service? YES!
3. Sound Tab pops up: Playback/Recording both state "No audio devices are installed".
4. Device Manager: Sound, video and game controllers:
Creative SB Audigy 4 (WDM) - (though it's actually and Audigy 2 and, yes, I have tried numerous other/correct drivers.
PnP Audio Device
SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro (for good measure via usb to test)
Manager states all are working and up to date...
Granted it's an old machine...
Hi pils schouler,
Are you currently running the Developer Preview or the Consumer Preview?
For Consumer Preview questions, please see the answers.microsoft forums for hardware and driver issues.
- Marked as answer by John-P Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:56 PM
What i did to solve this issue was, download the audio driver from the manufacturer site ( not windows 8 driver yet, but i used the one for windows seven/vista) and the went to device manager and update manually the driver. NOTE: windows legend was " last driver is the best one "
So update manually and i hope you fix it. Regards!!!