Speeding up the certification process? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way of speeding up the certification process? I mean, the users don't expect releases once a week for a mature app but for a new one when bug reports come in, 5 days can feel like an eternity. And I can only shudder when I think of the scenario where I accidentally break the app for 50% of the users with an update and have to wait a week to fix it :-/

Especially when the certification is a bit... dodgy. I've had colleagues who have gotten apps certified while they've been waiting for someone to contact them about getting login credentials so the tester can get past the first screen.

Monday, November 25, 2013 11:14 PM

Answers

• You can probably open a support case to find out what is happening with regards to your app certification. You can visit: http://getsupport.microsoft.com and select the appropriate Problem type: "App submission and certification" and  Category: "App certification status".

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:18 AM

All replies

• You can probably open a support case to find out what is happening with regards to your app certification. You can visit: http://getsupport.microsoft.com and select the appropriate Problem type: "App submission and certification" and  Category: "App certification status".

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:18 AM
  • Well, there really is no official issue since it's "supposed" to take 5 business days. I'm just wondering if there would be a shortcut e.g for developers that already have several apps in production and the auto-analysis shows e.g that there are no new libraries included and the changes are minimal...
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:01 AM
  • Maybe release your app as beta first.  You can update the beta quicker than with the full certification process.  Once your beta testers are happy with the app then submit it for approval in the store.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:05 AM
  • Yep, done that but the real issue is updates to the production version. If I accidentally break the production version with an update, all I can do for a week is watch the negative reviews pile up and users leaving (some of them never to return, I'm sure) because I can't get my one-liner-fix in. 
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:28 AM
  • Yes I understand that can be frustrating.  I just think if you make a new version of the app and have a couple of quick bug fixes(assuming it was possible) right after the update it looks bad for you too.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Well, if I could choose I'd prefer to look bad by fixing one issue every day than looking bad by having users waiting a week for a simple fix :-/

One would think that MS would be very interested in competing with Android/iOS. In order to get happy users you need great apps and in order to get great apps you need happy developers. And you get happy developers when you have a good platform (check) and you don't make them stand around for a week looking silly ;-)

Friday, November 29, 2013 11:30 AM