The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

[UWP]UWP App install error RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to sideload a UWP app using appxbundle on 19H1 OS. But I am getting an error "{apppackagename}.appxbundle failed with error 0x8000FFFF. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app deployment issues. (0x8000ffff)"

I checked the below event logs as per the link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160:

Applications and Services Logs -->AppX Deployment Server-->Microsoft Windows AppxDeployement Server / Operational & Microsoft Windows AppxDeployement Server /Restricted. 

But the logs do not provide any clues other than the error message. I am not getting error codes mentioned in the above link. The issue occurs when the app is re-installed after uninstalling the previous installation.

But it is possible to install the app using powershell script Add-AppDevPackage.ps1. 

What could be the reason the app is not able to installed using appxbundle? Error code 0x8000FFFF says "catastroohic failure". Can someone please throw some light on this? 

Monday, September 16, 2019 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What about trying to sideload a new created blank app? Does it give the same issue?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 10:07 AM
  • Thanks Roy Li. Yes, I tried sideloading a new blank app. It is giving the same error. 
    • Proposed as answer by cesatjulio Monday, September 16, 2019 10:17 PM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 11:55 AM
  • Is there any updates ?
    Monday, September 16, 2019 7:46 PM
  • Hi,

On which version you are building your app? Debug version or a Release version? If it's a debug version, what about a release version? Is there another device to test this?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:38 AM
  • It is a release version. It works in other machines..
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 5:48 AM
  • Hi,

How do you sideload the appxbundle? Double click the appxbundle or via other ways?

Also, have you checked the develop mode in the setting? Does it has the same problem when using sideload apps mode instead of developer mode?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:40 AM
  • It is sideloading. Developer mode is enabled.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:44 AM
  • Hi,

It's a strange problem and I'll ask other engineer to take a look at this.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Friday, September 20, 2019 6:41 AM
  • Hi Roy,

we have the same issue since last year. It does not matter if I double click the package, try to install it via the auto-update feature, use the debug or release build etc.

Are there any news about that topic?

regards

Alex

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please tell me the OS version of your device and the target version of your app? Also, could you please tell me the VS version? Have you tried to update the operating system and VS to the latest version?

If your app could install correctly before, may I know the OS version of that time? If it's not the same as now, would you like to downgrade the version and try it again?

Best regards,

Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:15 AM