none
[UWP][Desktop Bridge]Why does my application show up as Runtime Broker in Task Manager? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an application that is converted to UWP with the Desktop App Converter. Sometimes (I have yet to find consistent repro steps), my application shows up under the name Runtime Broker in the Task Manager. I know UWP apps run alongside a Runtime Broker to manage permissions but I have not seen my issue in any other UWP app.

Moreover, I checked other converted apps on the store (Evernote and Arduino IDE) and they don't come with a Runtime Broker.

Why is this happening to my app?

Thanks.

Friday, September 13, 2019 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you requesting some permissions in your app like microphone, camera or other ones? Runtime Broker is a Windows process in Task Manager that helps manage permissions on your PC for apps from Microsoft Store and to inform you about it.

Best regards, 

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 1:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we do request permissions. I am not worried that Runtime Broker is running with my app. This is expected. The issue is that this often happens:

I expect "My App" (which is the registered name of the application in this example) to show as the parent process, not Runtime Broker. It makes it hard for someone to find the app in case they want to kill it or see its CPU load.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:53 PM
  • Hi,

Well, a question first. How do you converted your app using desktop bridge? DAC or WAPP? or makeappx? 

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:03 AM
  • I am using makeappx.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

I tested desktop bridge app using WAPP. But the output app shows correctly in the task manager. It seems to be a strange problem. I'm asking the team about this. There might be some time delay. Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for looking into this. Is it possible that it could be because the entry point for my app is an exe that calls "MyApp.exe"? Maybe after the first exe finished executing and before "MyApp.exe" launched, there is a moment where there is no exe running except for Runtime Broker?

Thursday, September 19, 2019 4:58 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for looking into this. Is it possible that it could be because the entry point for my app is an exe that calls "MyApp.exe"? Maybe after the first exe finished executing and before "MyApp.exe" launched, there is a moment where there is no exe running except for Runtime Broker?

Never mind... I removed that and it still happens. This is not the issue.
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:38 PM
  • Hi,

Got that. I'll come back here as soon as I get the response from the team.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Friday, September 20, 2019 1:12 AM