none
Can't find a Keyword that really works RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to find if Keywords are really used in Store Search. This experiment is general, for all apps in the store.

If I start typing in the Search box on Windows Store, all I see are the apps that have that word in their name. I never see an app that does not have the word in its name. This means Keywords are totally ignored. I tried many searches and can't find keywords being used. For example, there must be a lot of Social Media apps in there with the keyword "Social Media." Facebook is an example. But if you type "Social Media" only those apps come up which have these words in their names. Am I missing something?

If this is true, then this is a real App discoverability problem in Windows Store. Otherwise, can someone show me a keyword example where it shows up an app where the word is not in its name? 

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi SanjaySk,
    > can someone show me a keyword example where it shows up an app where the word is not in its name? 
    Although the keyword is defines by developers for searching their app,  in order to facilitate search most keywords are part of the app name.You could see more details in Search terms. Of course, there are also keywords based on categories, such as Game. When you search it in the Store, the keyword is not in the app named Xbox Console Companion app(As the follow picture shown)

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 5, 2019 2:30 AM
  • Update: Since this post, I found that the real search happens when you hit enter after typing something. The short list
    that comes up as you type is the suggestion list but it is not clear what apps are given prominence to show up
    in that short suggestion list. So now my question refers more to this short suggestion list than the search results.

Hi Daisy,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

My point is that why can't this be a complete list of apps that  specified this keyword? Currently, all it brings up is a small list of app names.

This becomes a serious problem to make any App known.

Suggestion to be forwarded to the Store team:
    1) Please give a Search option where a complete list of Apps is produced that specified the keyword. 
    2) Give an option to Sort by Name, Downloads, etc.

NO WAY TO PROMOTE!!!
    Otherwise, with Paid Campaigns stopped (as announced in Dashboard), there is no way to promote an App. The only way is to go to Google adwords but that is too expensive for Search advertising and doesn't justify the ROI for the typical App prices. The App promotion feature of Adwords is only for IOS and Android apps. So as Windows App Developers, we are stuck. You are spending all those resources to improve app submission for developers (MSIX, etc) but no one at Microsoft is giving any thought to help app developers promote their apps and make them known. If this continues, there is no option but to move away from Windows development to other platforms where they seem to do more for App promotion--adwords app promotion is a typical example.

There is no wonder Windows Store is not as successful as other stores despite all the technical improvements like DAC and MSIX. Without proper Search, neither the customers can find relevant apps for their search and neither can developers promote their apps properly on Store Search. I can see this point brought up in many threads on Internet but no one at Microsoft cares or listens.

I hope you can forward this feedback to the proper folks at Microsoft.

Thanks.

P.S.
    Please don't tell me to put this suggestion in your feedback forum. That idea of collecting Votes for suggestions is useless. Many bright ideas are just sitting there for years because no one really has time to go in there and read all good ideas and vote for them. 

• Edited by SanjaySk Friday, September 27, 2019 8:49 AM
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 3:40 AM
  • Hi SanjaySk,

Sorry for any inconvenience. As soon as the notice of campaign ads deactivation came out,I tried to consult the teams about this and reported users' needs.Therefore I can only suggest you to offer your feedback and suggestion at Feedback forum which could be more effective than forum proposal.

Best regards

Daisy Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 6, 2019 1:53 AM
  • Thanks. I will post there. But I have my doubts on any Vote based feedback system. That system assumes that the users have time to login there regularly, read all the suggestions and then vote on the suggestions. That is not true. I, myself, rarely visit that feedback forum, once or twice a year. How can they expect good suggestions to collect votes? It's simply an excuse to postpone working on suggestions. The feedback system should rather be a forum like this one with dedicated people like you who regularly read and evaluate questions irrespective of how many votes they collect. 

Friday, September 6, 2019 12:11 PM
  • Hi SanjaySk,

>The feedback system should rather be a forum like this one with dedicated people like you who regularly read and evaluate questions irrespective of how many votes they collect. 

As far as I know, the MSFT will check the advice in the feedback periodically and may add it in their to-do-list base on the ideas. But the details of how to do it is out of our scope,I couldn't give more details for you about that, thanks for you understanding.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:00 AM
  • Nice to know. But I only hope that they do not ignore the feedback with zero votes. 

Thanks.

Friday, September 13, 2019 2:58 AM