[UWP]Windows Hello for Kiosk-like apps? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to use Windows Hello to authenticate users in a UWP kiosk app? We would like to achieve something similar to the greeting kiosk [1], but using Windows Hello instead of the cognitive services (because Windows Hello works locally): The app runs fullscreen and uses Windows Hello to identify users, very similar to the Windows logon screen. When a user of the camera comes within reach, I would like to access his identity and navigate to further UI.

For that, we can assume that all users that will use the kiosk have an account that is set up with Windows Hello. However, the passport sample [2] always tries to authenticate the current user that is running the kiosk app and I haven't seen any other example. If a different user is seen in front of the camera, the camera detects ther user, this user is greeted ("Hello <user name>"), but the Windows Hello popup only allows to click the cancel button. Did we miss something or is this a scenario that simply is not supported by the current API?

Thanks for the help in advance

[1] https://github.com/Microsoft/Cognitive-Samples-IntelligentKiosk/blob/master/Documentation/GreetingKiosk.md

[2] https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/MicrosoftPassport

Monday, August 6, 2018 11:43 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

This problem is strange and it is not suitable to discuss via the forum. It needs more professional support. I suggest that you might need to open a support ticket for this. Please contact our paid phone support at MS Support. You will get 1:1 support on that. Please kindly note that your support ticket will be free if it is Microsoft's issue.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 2:53 AM