none
Do I have to declare "Internet (Client)" as a capability if my app can launch the store app? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm creating a free version of an app in addition to the full version which I've already successfully submitted to the store.  From the free version the user can click a button which launches the store app and goes directly to the listing for the full version.

Two questions:

1) Do I have to declare "Internet (Client)" as a capability for this app?

2) The full version of the app has the lowest age rating (3+ Suitable for young children).  If I have to declare Internet (Client) as a capability, does this also mean that I can no longer classify this as an app for ages 3 and up?  I'm guessing that's the case based on the following line from the "Age rating and rating certificates" page of the app submission process:

"Apps with this age rating also cannot enable features that could access content or functionality unsuitable for young children. This includes, but is not limited to, access to online services, collection of personal information, or activating hardware such as microphones or webcams."

Any guidance is very much appreciated!

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• 1) Yes.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464936.aspx#general_use_capabilities

"An important certification requirement is to include a link to your Privacy Policy on the Setting pane if you declare these capabilities. Forgetting to do so is currently the most common certification blocker!"

2) If your target market includes children 3+, I'd go with the age rating that will allow for the app to pass and include in the description or policies page a disclaimer to outline that the app is suitable for children +3 while accompanied by an adult.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694070.aspx#agerating

~Daniel~

• Proposed as answer by D Monteiro Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by kaka-koala Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:48 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:55 PM
  • Hi D,

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Regarding the first question, I wasn't sure if I needed to declare Internet (Client) as a capability as technically my app doesn't make use of it as all.  It just launches the store app, which itself requires an internet connection.  But just to be safe I declared it.  It has since been certified.  Thanks again for the response.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:51 PM