Developing an application with unique daily content RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm relatively new to developing for Windows Phone and am pretty much going through and teaching myself all I can.  Have managed to do a couple of apps already - rather basic apps that utilise the C# skills I have already.

I see a lot of applications that seem to pull unique data on a daily basis - e.g daily horoscopes, or an app that has a database of 1000's of jokes, or an app that offers relationship hints/tips etc and has 100's of different hints/tips in it!  I am really interested to know how that is done....  is it pulled from a website and customised to the UI? Or does it come from a database of info that the developer has created?  It's the sort of thing I would love to try... but have no idea where to start.  Any advice? 

Thanks! :)
    Friday, December 16, 2011 2:15 AM

All replies

• Usually it would be requested by the app from a web service, either owned by the app developer or a third-party web site/service.  The information would usually be delivered in a XML or JSON format for easy parsing.  The app then adds the data to a list, or displays it on a page as necessary.
    Friday, December 16, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Thank you so much for the info. There is actually an app I want to put together for our church - and they can give me a link to the Xml format...  do you know any tutorials or video's that might show me how to put something like this together?  Thanks heaps :)
    Friday, December 16, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Hi,

Perhaps Adam Nathan's 101 Windows Phone Apps book can provide you with the ideas you need.
    Also search my resource kit using the link below.

- Mark
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Thank you!  That's an awesome resource kit that you have put together too - will definitely come in handy! Thank you so much :)

Cheers
    Deb
    Friday, December 16, 2011 9:49 PM