none
[UWP][Xbox]UWP App on Xbox crashing on startup in retail mode only

Question

• Hi, I've written an app for use on the Xbox One and during all testing within Dev Mode it works fine. I've submitted it to the store, passed certification fine and is available in the store, but after downloading to the Xbox One from the store in Retail mode the app won't load. Just get the Splash screen and it exits back to the Xbox Home page, no error message or anything.  What can I do to diagnose this, obviously I can't connect the Visual Studio debugger during Retail mode and nothing errors when running in Dev Mode (tested in both Release and Debug modes, with and without the debugger running).  I had put in a support request but was asked to post here instead.

Any ideas please, at a complete loss.

Regards,

Stu

Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:44 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

Thanks a lot for reporting this issue out on the forum and helping us with investigations. The root cause of the issue has been identified and fix has been rolled out. The framework update will take a couple of days to reach most devices as and when any new app or updated ad-enabled app gets updated on the Xbox device.

You could reach out to the users who reported problems for your app and ask them to re-install your app. The other option that you have is to push an update to your app (only version change) and push it to your users. This will get the framework updated on the end user devices and speed up the fix roll out. Those of you who had taken off the ad control, please put it back and push the update for your apps.

Please feel free to reach out to us (msft-aia-help@microsoft.com) in case of any issues or queries regarding this topic.

Thanks for the patience and sorry for the inconvenience caused during this period.

-Vivek.

• Proposed as answer by Vivek Mohan [MSFT] Friday, February 17, 2017 6:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by swayton Friday, February 17, 2017 1:38 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hi swayton,

Could you please tell us what is your OS version? Since you have already published your app in the store, could you please show your app name in here?
    Can you see any crash or stack trace information in the health report of your windows dev center account regarding this app?

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 10, 2017 4:13 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Amy,

The Xbox OS Version is 10.0.14393.2152 (rs1_xbox_rel_1610.161208-1218-fre)

The app is called Lego Dimensions Abilities Guide - https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh4tk3k

I'm only now starting to see some info in dev centre regarding the health, it shows:

STOWED_EXCEPTION_8000ffff_42871AytonComputers.LEGODimensionsAbilitiesGuide!unknown_function

but the stack trace is empty.  Sounds like there's a function there which works fine (or fails gracefully) in Dev Mode, but not in Retail Mode.

Regards,

Stu

• Edited by swayton Friday, February 10, 2017 8:12 AM typo
    Friday, February 10, 2017 7:31 AM
  • Right, this seems really stupid now. I put my own error handler in to post to my back end server whenever there's a crash and it's telling me:

Cannot create instance of type 'Microsoft.Advertising.WinRT.UI.AdControl'

Now this works fine in Dev Mode and also on every other device.  Using the latest Microsoft.Services.Store.SDK and therefore Microsoft.Advertising SDK for XAML.  I've took out the AdControl from MainPage.xaml and now we have a UI come up on screen!   However it now seems to be hanging on a GetFileAsync command.  I've had to put a textbox on screen and update this text of this box at various points to discover where it's hanging, but this means update, build, publish to the store, wait for certification and the build to be available in the store, test then repeat the whole cycle which is becoming very tedious.  I've just submitted my 10th build to the store in 24 hours, if it wasn't necessary for this app to be on Xbox I'd be canning it by now.  Why is it acting so differently in Retail Mode on the Xbox One to Dev Mode or when installed on any other device??

I've spoken to Abdulwahab using the Chat link at https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/support/uwp-coding-help who has looked through my code and can't see anything that would cause an issue with the app and as he says "Typically UWP are supposed to work on all supported platforms. That's the beauty of the UWP framework". I'm not seeing the beauty right now :(

Regards,

Stu

• Edited by swayton Saturday, February 11, 2017 11:17 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2017 6:25 PM
  • I am stuck in exactly the same situation. I have submitted almost 20 submissions in the last two days. Have to say sorry for my users but still get a load of one-star rating :((
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 4:38 AM
  • Same problem here!!! It started from about Feb 9th. But no crash info for XBOX in dev center
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 4:54 AM
  • You mean it is a bug of AdControl? Shall we remove it only for xbox?
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 5:10 AM
  • You save my life!!!!

It worked nicely after removing the ad control and all the reference libraries.

Sunday, February 12, 2017 6:26 AM
  • Great! I knew I wasn't going stupid!

Did you just remove the Advertising library or the Services.Store.SDK as well?

Now the question is what changed and when are Microsoft going to fix it?

Sunday, February 12, 2017 7:45 AM
  • This is really stupid.  We have thousands of users on the XBox One platform and they all started complaining that the app is getting stuck on our initialization page as of 3-4 days ago.  Microsoft needs to fix this issue asap as it is preventing all of our users from using all of our apps.
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 1:09 PM
  • As I understand it, the libraries used for AdControl are updated automatically on the device when Microsoft makes changes, so I'm guessing there was an update a few days ago?

From https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/uwp/monetize/microsoft-store-services-sdk

The following libraries in the Microsoft Store Services SDK are configured as framework packages:+

This means that after a user installs a version of your app that uses these libraries, these libraries are automatically updated on their device through Windows Update whenever we publish new versions of the libraries with fixes and performance improvements. This helps to ensure that your customers always have the latest available version of the libraries installed on their devices.

The question is why does it work in Dev Mode but not Retail mode?

• Marked as answer by swayton Monday, February 13, 2017 3:23 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by swayton Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:07 AM
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 1:14 PM
  • Ah, another untested push of Microsoft's advertising libraries.  The last one affected any app which did manual refreshing of their ads.

Microsoft, can you please have your team thoroughly test out their updates on all platforms before pushing out updates?  Mistakes like this kills revenue for developers.

Sunday, February 12, 2017 1:24 PM
  • Then what can we do now? Remove the AdControl (lost revenue) or just wait (get one stars) ?
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 2:41 PM
  • I've removed it until we hear something concrete about what to do, but I'm now having problems reading/writing to LocalCacheFolder which worked fine in Dev Mode, so trying to debug that as well :/
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 2:43 PM
  • Great! I knew I wasn't going stupid!

Did you just remove the Advertising library or the Services.Store.SDK as well?

Now the question is what changed and when are Microsoft going to fix it?

Advertising library only.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 12:50 AM
  • Hi All,

I am sorry for the incontinent that caused for you.

The related team is investigating this issue, once there is any update, I will post it here.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, February 13, 2017 8:49 AM
    Owner
  • Please tell us if we need to submit a new update when it is fixed. Thanks.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Microsoft, can you tell your support to stop placing blame on developers without even attempting to research the issue?   We've had users contact Microsoft Support and they always place the blame on developers in situations like this, which is ridiculous.  Microsoft Support said the same thing to our users when in app purchases would stop working, even though it was clear that Microsoft's server was telling our apps that users had not purchased a feature, when in fact they had.  It's lazy and disingenuous support by your team. 
    Monday, February 13, 2017 4:16 PM
  • Hello, So can somebody please tell me how I can use my xbox app without it crashing? Do I have to remove something for it to work or do I have to just run my computer in safe mode for now? Thank you!
    Monday, February 13, 2017 4:47 PM
  • Hello, So can somebody please tell me how I can use my xbox app without it crashing? Do I have to remove something for it to work or do I have to just run my computer in safe mode for now? Thank you!
    Monday, February 13, 2017 4:48 PM

Are you a developer or a general user?

If you're a developer you need to remove any AdControls temporarily.

If you're a general user you'll need to wait for Microsoft to update the framework library for this on the Xbox, or for the developer to do a quick fix while we wait for Microsoft to fix it!

Monday, February 13, 2017 4:56 PM
  • Is there anyway to use it until then? Like in safe mode?
    Monday, February 13, 2017 8:08 PM
  • So the question is can we only remove it for xbox?  

Do we have to remove the adcontrol library ?

it works well on other platform and it's not mainly for xobx.

• Edited by Exilerrr Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:36 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:44 AM
  • Hi Swayton,

Can you please help us in understanding this issue a little more? Having the ad control instantiated in main.xaml was present since ever on your app or you just added it in the last update when it started crashing? If you had it earlier as well, I'm assuming that it was working fine which is why you raised this issue in recent crashes.

Thanks

Vivek.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:54 PM
  • Hi Vivek,

This was my first build of the app, working fine in Dev Mode and all other devices but failing in Retail Mode after publishing to the store. After debugging it and finding out that the AdControl was crashing with Cannot create instance of type 'Microsoft.Advertising.WinRT.UI.AdControl', coupled with reports from other users in this thread saying their apps with AdControls in have started the same problem it's fairly safe to assume something has been updated in the AdControl framework and pushed to Xboxs which is causing this.

Regards

Stu

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

My app using adcontrol for months and started to crash on Feb 9th without any updates on Xbox. Windows 10 mobile and pc releases were okay. When I found this thread I removed the advertising sdk and now the app works fine.

Please let me know when you pushed the bug fix so I can put back the ads to my app.

Thanks in advance,

Henrik

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:55 PM
  • Need to get as many people as possible who are also experiencing this problem in their apps, have also posted in UserVoice here: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/18213670-adcontrol-on-xbox-in-retail-mode-crashes-app-work

Thanks,

Stu

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:21 PM
  • Ad control was present since ever on my app, not just added in last update.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks very much for reporting this issue.

I just got a update from our engineering team, we can reproduce this Ad SDK issue reported by you and we are actively investigating it. Once the fix is available, I will post it here.

Thanks all for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:13 AM
    Owner
  • It's great that you have an update but it's been six days of no revenue on the XBox One and counting...
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks again for reporting this issue and I am really sorry for the incontinent that caused for you.

I have got a update from our engineering team, this issue has been fixed. But you may need to uninstall and reinstall any of the affected apps in your XBOX, after that it should work fine.

Please let me the result after you reinstall all the affected apps in your XBOX. If it does not work for you, please post your feedback in here.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

Friday, February 17, 2017 5:32 AM
    Owner
  • Hi All,

Thanks a lot for reporting this issue out on the forum and helping us with investigations. The root cause of the issue has been identified and fix has been rolled out. The framework update will take a couple of days to reach most devices as and when any new app or updated ad-enabled app gets updated on the Xbox device.

You could reach out to the users who reported problems for your app and ask them to re-install your app. The other option that you have is to push an update to your app (only version change) and push it to your users. This will get the framework updated on the end user devices and speed up the fix roll out. Those of you who had taken off the ad control, please put it back and push the update for your apps.

Please feel free to reach out to us (msft-aia-help@microsoft.com) in case of any issues or queries regarding this topic.

Thanks for the patience and sorry for the inconvenience caused during this period.

-Vivek.

• Proposed as answer by Vivek Mohan [MSFT] Friday, February 17, 2017 6:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by swayton Friday, February 17, 2017 1:38 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 5:57 AM
  • Hi, 

Can you please confirm if your users are able to see the fix done on their XBox devices? We have received confirmation from some app developers that their users have seen the fix.

Thanks

Vivek.

Monday, February 20, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Hi, 

Can you please confirm if your users are able to see the fix done on their XBox devices? We have received confirmation from some app developers that their users have seen the fix.

Thanks

Vivek.

After updating our own app to reinclude the AdControl, all apps on our Xbox that were not functioning are now working as expected.

Thanks

Monday, February 20, 2017 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

The problem has been fixed on Xbox, but started to reproduce on x86 versions of app: x86 app from Store crashes if it has AdControl, and stops crash after control has been removed 

Anatol

Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:29 PM