The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
[UWP] How to find UWP target platform version in windows 8? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

1. I am in a process of developing windows phone 8.1 chat app.
    The operating system currently using is Windows 8 with emulator8.1 and visual studio
    2013 updated 4 version(.NET 4.5.1). I want use the application in both windows phone 8.1 and windows 8 tablet. When I am changing the current app to Universal Windows project(UWP)it is asking targetplatformversion in XAML file. But I cant find that in X86 folder of program file.How can I find this in Windows8 OS?

2. If I am developing a new project in UWP (in Windows8 OS),will it work on Window phone8.1, Windows8 and Windows10.?

3. How can I upgrade my current UWP app in Windows8 to Windows10?

Thanks in Advance,
    • Edited by Smith_79 Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:46 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:45 AM

Answers

• >>How can I find this in Windows8 OS?

A Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app runs on Windows 10 devices only so you won't be able to run this kind of application on Windows Phone 8.1.

>>2. If I am developing a new project in UWP (in Windows8 OS),will it work on Window phone8.1, Windows8 and Windows10.?

No. UWPs run on Windows 10 only. A Windows 8.1 app will run on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 though.

>>3. How can I upgrade my current UWP app in Windows8 to Windows10?

Again, UWPs are Windows 10 only so there is no way to "upgrade" it.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

• Marked as answer by Smith_79 Friday, November 20, 2015 3:46 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:35 PM
  • You are probably a bit confused by the reuse of the word "Universal"

In VS 2013, there was a project type known as "Universal Apps" which was a project that generated Windows 8.1 Store binaries, Windows phone 8.1 binaries, and had shared code that built for either platform. This is not a Universal Windows app that runs on the Windows 10 UWP. It creates Windows 8.1 Store apps and/or Windows phone 8.1 apps.

With Windows 10 and VS 2015, you build "Universal Windows apps" which are a single set of binaries (x86, ARM, x64) that run on all Windows 10 devices. You can rebuild your existing Windows 8.1 Store or Windows phone 8.1 codebase to run as a UWP pretty easily, but they are not the same thing. UWAs do not run on Windows 8.1 or Windows phone 8.1.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:35 PM

All replies

• >>How can I find this in Windows8 OS?

A Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app runs on Windows 10 devices only so you won't be able to run this kind of application on Windows Phone 8.1.

>>2. If I am developing a new project in UWP (in Windows8 OS),will it work on Window phone8.1, Windows8 and Windows10.?

No. UWPs run on Windows 10 only. A Windows 8.1 app will run on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 though.

>>3. How can I upgrade my current UWP app in Windows8 to Windows10?

Again, UWPs are Windows 10 only so there is no way to "upgrade" it.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

• Marked as answer by Smith_79 Friday, November 20, 2015 3:46 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:35 PM
  • You are probably a bit confused by the reuse of the word "Universal"

In VS 2013, there was a project type known as "Universal Apps" which was a project that generated Windows 8.1 Store binaries, Windows phone 8.1 binaries, and had shared code that built for either platform. This is not a Universal Windows app that runs on the Windows 10 UWP. It creates Windows 8.1 Store apps and/or Windows phone 8.1 apps.

With Windows 10 and VS 2015, you build "Universal Windows apps" which are a single set of binaries (x86, ARM, x64) that run on all Windows 10 devices. You can rebuild your existing Windows 8.1 Store or Windows phone 8.1 codebase to run as a UWP pretty easily, but they are not the same thing. UWAs do not run on Windows 8.1 or Windows phone 8.1.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:35 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

First of thank you very much for your quick response.

So as per your suggestion , I should develop my windows phone chat project in windows phone 8.1 emulator itself.

and not in universal apps shown in visual studio 2013 , right ? but in that case will it work in windows 8 tablets?

Kindly respond...

• Marked as answer by Smith_79 Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Smith_79 Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:24 AM
    • Edited by Smith_79 Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:24 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 4:03 AM