The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Convert 8.1 Metro app to Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• With news about UWP, what is the best way to convert a 8.1 metro app to use on Windows 10?
    Friday, September 20, 2019 11:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Currently, there is no such official news about that. UWP is a very important part of Microsoft environment. It's still the future trend for windows apps- build once and you can run it in all windows devices. If you still have some concerns about UWP, it's welcome to contact us via the FeedBack Hub. Feel free to tell us about your thoughts there and our team will keep an eye on that.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by cosmo_naut Tuesday, September 24, 2019 5:40 PM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:36 AM

All replies

• Define best. What is best for me might not be best for you.

The best way is to learn UWP and then the conversion is easy.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, September 22, 2019 12:39 AM
  • An 8.1 program will translate very easily to UWP, UWP is the successor of the old 8.1 system. My approach would be pretty simple, I would create a UWP application - whether that be a CoreWindow or XamlWindow application. And start dragging your code across. I honestly can't remember the differences if there were any when i switched over (a few years ago now). But you should find it's straight forward. If the code doesn't just work, it will work with minor editing.
    Monday, September 23, 2019 7:02 AM
  • Isn't UWP going away? Concerned I will have to port to something else all over again. What are your thoughts?
    Monday, September 23, 2019 1:40 PM
  • Define best. What is best for me might not be best for you.

Best would be making some consideration for news about MS doing away with UWP.

Unless there really isn't an alternative or maybe I'm misunderstanding news about UWP?

Thank you. 

• Edited by cosmo_naut Monday, September 23, 2019 2:10 PM added quote
    Monday, September 23, 2019 1:42 PM
  • Where you found that news?
    Monday, September 23, 2019 1:51 PM
  • Where you found that news?

I can't use hyperlinks yet but search UWP news.

Monday, September 23, 2019 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

Currently, there is no such official news about that. UWP is a very important part of Microsoft environment. It's still the future trend for windows apps- build once and you can run it in all windows devices. If you still have some concerns about UWP, it's welcome to contact us via the FeedBack Hub. Feel free to tell us about your thoughts there and our team will keep an eye on that.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by cosmo_naut Tuesday, September 24, 2019 5:40 PM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:36 AM