none
Issue with App manifest resources tests in online WACK: wrong images are used for resolutions check RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue with the 'App manifest resources tests' in the WACK (Windows App Certification Kit) when trying to release a UWP app.

After creating the package with Visual Studio, the local WACK runs fine and does not find any issues with my app package.
    But after uploading it to the developer portal and submitting that version to the store, the online WACK fails on the 'App manifest resources tests'.

This message is shown for multiple images:
    Image reference "Assets\{image1}.png": The image "{package}\Assets\{image2}.scale-{scale}.png" failed the size restrictions of {size}."
    It appears the wrong images are used for these checks, because as you can see the left part of the message references {image1} but the right part references another image {image2}.

All assets I am using have a scale of .scale-100 and .scale-200.
    Only the app logo and splash screen images have more scales (100, 125, 150, 200, 400).
    The app logo and splash screen images are the only images that fail the resolutions check, but not for all resolutions.
    The messages are shown for all logo and splash screen images for scales 100, 125, 150 and 400. So not for the 200 scale.

After some googling I added this line to the project file:
    <UapDefaultAssetScale>100</UapDefaultAssetScale>
    Now the messages are still shown, but only for scales 125, 150, 200 and 400. So not for the 100 scale anymore.

Then I placed the images in subfolders of the Assets folder:
    Assets\SplashScreen
    Assets\AppLogo
    Assets\AppLogo\71x71
    Assets\AppLogo\150x150
    Assets\AppLogo\310x150
    Assets\AppLogo\310x310
    Assets\AppLogo\StoreLogo
    Now the message is gone for the SplashScreen images, but still remains for the AppLogo images.

I removed some scales from the AppLogo imagefiles, now I only provide scales 100 and 200. Still error messages (for the 200 scale files).

I renamed the AppLogo image files to show you that the wrong image is used for the checks.
    These are the messages that are preventing me from submitting my app to the store at this moment:
    Image reference "Assets\AppLogo\f.png": The image "{package}_neutral_split.scale-200_pca1ckd154ckj\Assets\AppLogo\71x71\d.scale-200.png" failed the size restrictions of 88 X 88.
    Image reference "Assets\AppLogo\71x71\d.png": The image "{package}_neutral_split.scale-200_pca1ckd154ckj\Assets\AppLogo\310x310\c.scale-200.png" failed the size restrictions of 142 X 142.
    Image reference "Assets\AppLogo\310x150\b.png": The image "{package}_neutral_split.scale-200_pca1ckd154ckj\Assets\AppLogo\150x150\a.scale-200.png" failed the size restrictions of 620 X 300.
    Image reference "Assets\AppLogo\310x310\c.png": The image "{package}_neutral_split.scale-200_pca1ckd154ckj\Assets\AppLogo\310x150\b.scale-200.png" failed the size restrictions of 620 X 620.
    One more thing to point out, I had this error before but then it magically disappeared by re-uploading the package later that day.
    Opened a support ticket but then closed it because the problem disappeared.
    Now the problem still exists (been trying for a couple of days now), after re-opening the issue and chatting with customer support they suggested I posted the question on this forum.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the cause of this issue? (and how I can fix this)

Thanks!
    • Edited by ACSI apps Friday, December 16, 2016 10:19 AM Changed formatting
    Friday, December 16, 2016 10:12 AM

Answers

• Finally figured out what the issue was, with help of paid Microsoft technical support.
    The issue was in the ResourceMap, for x86 it contained 260 items and the other architectures contained 261 items.

Because of the build configurations in the solution in Visual Studio 1 file (e_sqlite3.dll) was added 2 times to x64 and AMD output.

To fix this I updated the build configurations in the Configuration Manager in Visual Studio so the shared PCL project now is Platform 'Any CPU' instead of x86, x64 or ARM.

• Marked as answer by ACSI apps Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:37 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hi ACSI apps,

I have seen a similar issue in local WACK before by testing Win10 app that was made by upgrading Win8.1 app, in which image assets with suffix "a.scale-???.png" and without suffix "a.png" co-exist.

Basically in UWP, assets have to have scale-suffix. So you may be able to solve it by appending scale-suffix(".scale-???") to each image appropriately. Although project supports assets without suffix but it would be for backward compatibility.

Sunday, December 18, 2016 9:35 AM
  • @ACSI apps,

First of all, may I ask you to use generator to test whether it can generate the required files for you:

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/02/15/uwp-tile-generator-extension-for-visual-studio/#tDWs8ELIUOsYMdXj.97

The same function has already been added to Visual Studio 2017 already.

However I have an old case which is saying that there are differences between local WACK and online WACK https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/0f756139-6ee9-42c8-b825-a4c7ffdc3014/uwp-toolkit11-different-requirement-of-the-size-of-visual-assets-on-some-scales-cause-failing?forum=wpdevelop

This may more related to your problem. However I can see that your message is saying that reference is f.png but image is d.scale-200.png, which does not sound behave in the right way. So what about give generator a try first?

Best regards,

Barry 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 7:05 AM
  • All images already have a ".scale-???" suffix.

Monday, December 19, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Hi Barry,

I tried the generator from the URL, unfortunately this has the same effect.
    Local WACK passes every test, online WACK fails on App manifest resources tests.

It seems like an issue in the online WACK, is there any way to get some extra information about why this issue might be occuring?

Monday, December 19, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Ok, I found a workaround.

I generated the app package on another PC, where I installed Visual Studio 2017 RC.
    That seems to do the trick, the package got accepted by the local WACK as well as the online WACK.

• Marked as answer by ACSI apps Monday, December 19, 2016 1:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ACSI apps Friday, January 20, 2017 3:48 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 1:27 PM
  • Ok, I found a workaround.

I generated the app package on another PC, where I installed Visual Studio 2017 RC.
    That seems to do the trick, the package got accepted by the local WACK as well as the online WACK.

Unfortunately, the workaround does not work anymore.

So this is still an issue for us, as we want to release an update to our apps.

All 3 of our UWP apps are having this issue.

Friday, January 20, 2017 3:51 PM
  • Finally figured out what the issue was, with help of paid Microsoft technical support.
    The issue was in the ResourceMap, for x86 it contained 260 items and the other architectures contained 261 items.

Because of the build configurations in the solution in Visual Studio 1 file (e_sqlite3.dll) was added 2 times to x64 and AMD output.

To fix this I updated the build configurations in the Configuration Manager in Visual Studio so the shared PCL project now is Platform 'Any CPU' instead of x86, x64 or ARM.

• Marked as answer by ACSI apps Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:37 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:37 AM
  • Ever found a solution? facing the same problem now.
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:38 PM