The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

RoamingSettings in Windows 10 Mobile is not uploaded to the cloud, but in Windows 10 PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm currently developping an UWP app and would like to sync some settings between the phone and the PC app. Therefore, Im using RoamingSettings and for better/faster testing the "HighPriority" value, which is synced in about 10-30 seconds.

I'm running exactly the same app on both devices (PC and phone), as this is an UWP app. When I change the settings on my PC, the DataChanged event is called on my phone after about 15 seconds. Perfect!

But: When I change the settings on my phone, nothing happens on my PC. After deleting the app on both devices and reinstalling it on both devices, the value that is displayed on both devices is the value that was defined on the PC app. It looks like the Windows 10 Mobile device (build 10536) is not uploading the RoamingSettings to the cloud.

My questions:

• Do I have to perform any specific action on my phone until the roaming data is uploaded?
    • Is this a known bug of the current build 10536?
    • Any suggestions? :)

Thank you!

Sunday, September 20, 2015 12:05 PM

All replies

• You should have to perform any specific action to get your data to roam.  How big is your data?  

• Don't roam large sets of app data. There's a limit to the amount of app data an app may roam; useRoamingStorageQuota property to get this maximum. If an app hits this limit, no data can roam until the size of the app data store no longer exceeds the limit. When you design your app, consider how to put a bound on larger data so as to not exceed the limit. For example, if saving a game state requires 10KB each, the app might only allow the user store up to 10 games.

It could not hurt to make the setting high priority

• For important, time critical settings, use the HighPriority setting associated with RoamingSettings. .

Sunday, September 20, 2015 12:46 PM
  • You should have to perform any specific action to get your data to roam.  How big is your data?  

Thank you for your quick answer. So, which action do I have to perform on the phone? :) The documentation says s.th. about "locking the device", so I tried to to lock my phone a couple of times and waited some minutes, but nothing happens.

The size is definitely not a problem here. Its just a string of less 20 characters. And as I mentioned before, I'm already using the "HighPriority" setting.

Sunday, September 20, 2015 5:19 PM
  • @Benjamin,

Actually you need to read here Roaming app data

See the following:

Testing and tools

Developers can lock their device in order to trigger a synchronization of roaming app data. If it seems that the app data does not transition within a certain time frame, please check the following items and make sure that:

• Your roaming data does not exceed the maximum size (see RoamingStorageQuota for details).
    • Your files are closed and released properly.
    • There are at least two devices running the same version of the app.

I think you need to take care of the second and the third options.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Barry Wang Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Monday, October 12, 2015 8:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Barry Wang Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:02 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:59 AM
  • Yes, that's right. But it was not working properly in Build 10536. I updated my Lumia 925 to Build 10549 yesterdays. In this build the problem seems to be solved. It's finally working and much more reliable than before!
    • Proposed as answer by Barry Wang Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:02 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:00 AM
  • @Benjamin,

Thanks for sharing the result. Sounds like the problem is based on the System of your machine, not related to our code.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:03 AM