none
Display Custom Information on Windows Lock Screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I have an XML file that updates daily and I want to display the date on the Lock screen so that users don't have to log in just to check that date. 

Any ideas on how to display this date on the lock screen?

please help i've been working on this for weeks with no suces

Friday, September 20, 2019 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If your "date" is "data", As far as I know, apart from pictures and app notifications, there is no setting on the lock screen to display the contents of the file, because your device has been locked, you have no access to the files in the device. 
    You can only implement some established text by setting the legalnoticecaption and legalnoticetext in the registry

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

If you want to set it up by app notification, here is a sample of UWP:

https://github.com/microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/LockScreenApps

Or create a background process or service to watch xml file changes(FindFirstChangeNotification/std::Filesystem), then generate an picture file of the XML file content, and finally change the Windows 10 lock screen background.

Or by dynamically modifying the above registry key legalnoticetext (after receiving notification of file modification).

If you just mean date of the file, then use GetFileTime to get the date.

Best Regards,

Drake

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2019 6:03 AM