none
Error "An unexpected network error has occured. The app list cannot be refreshed. Please retry by pressing the Refresh button." when creating package to publish app RRS feed

• Question

• I am facing this problem from 4 days. I have tried to package app with 3 different internet connection(2 different ISP). I am still facing this problem. Does anyone have any suggestion ??

An unexpected error has occurred when creating app package for windows 8.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:29 PM

Answers

• This is what worked for me on Saturday. Since then I have not been able to download any data, from this link, or even get into the dashboard.

1. ensure fiddler autoresponder is off

2  in your browser  goto https://appdev.microsoft.com/storeupload/services/uploadservice/ReservedInfo?productGuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

3 save the file it serves (if it serves a file)

4 set up fiddler autoresponder FROM link above TO the file you saved

5 create app in vs

• Proposed as answer by kesyn Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Prateek Jaiswal Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:18 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:58 AM

All replies

• How many apps do you currently have in the market?  It appears to be linked to the size of the list download.

We hit this issue last Wednesday and have reported it to Microsoft and they are working to fix it.

Please  open a support ticket with the store office, this will at least let them know that others are affected. 

Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:11 AM
  • Currently we have around 220 apps :). i have already reported this issue to microsoft support but didn't get any response :(
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:29 PM
  • Thought so - Just about the magic number.  Did you try the chat function on the support page / help with developer account.
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:54 PM
  • I have forwarded on this link to my support ticket link - so they know that this issue is impacting other people.
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Thanks... i will look for chat option... and if find any solution i will update you.
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Today i talked with microsoft support guy via phone.... they are not able to figure out exact problem.... but they are saying that loading long app list could be a problem(same could be problem with digi-media-apps) they are investigating, hope till monday they will find any solution
    Friday, March 8, 2013 7:07 PM
  • I have around 50 apps and have the same issue...

Review Horizon

Friday, March 8, 2013 9:22 PM
  • Received a call from the support guy yesterday - all he could report was that this issue is still being looked at. Still no solution in sight yet.

Anyone anything to add?

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:38 PM
  • I had this issue as well, it starts to happen recently, but I only have about 20 apps but I reserved about 100 names for future use.

I even try to delete some reserved names try to get back the number when it works, but no luck, still get this error.

AllanChan

Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:50 AM
  • I also have this error, about 35 published apps, and about 100 reserved names

Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:44 AM
  • I think the long app list is causing problem....

i am publishing app from india so it could be that it took time to communicate with sever in US. Does any one from US is also facing same problem...

may i know from where you all are publishing??

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:26 PM
  • This is happening to me in the US, East Coast so I don't think geography is the problem.

My timeframe matches yours, never saw this before the past 4-5 days. We all seem to have a lot of apps, but they should be able to handle this.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:49 PM
  • I am having intermittant success with this today. loaded twice, failed twice.
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Giant veggie

That's exactly what happened to me - initially had the failure - then managed to get 5 more apps up over 2 days when the dsl was at its quietest - along with many failures. Since then I have had no success. This suggests that the program is timing out before all of the data is retrieved and depends on number of apps in the list and connection speed (I still can't work out just WHY the entire list has to be downloaded for each app upload).

Could all of you who have been affected by this PLEASE open a support ticket with the appstore team. The priority will (being optimistic here - maybe that should read should) increase with the number of tickets open. Please do not assume that as this has already been reported there is no need to follow up with  the support channels.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Nothing to report - just want to bump this up.
    Friday, March 15, 2013 9:05 PM
  • Even at speed of 10Mbps it is not able to retrieve the list of app. I think this is problem with microsoft system. they should fix it ASAP. or they will start loosing developer base. who will want to work with such a system. I have wasted 15 days struggling with this problem.
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Want to bump this up as well, it is really annoying...

Review Horizon

Monday, March 18, 2013 5:37 PM
  • OK, I just went off the phone with a Microsoft Tech Support that was significantly more knowledgeable than every other rep I talked to :) While this is a quick and dirty fix (they'll look into it some more, I provided a Fiddler capture), it fixed this issue for me, and if you don't have other problems like a proxy, etc, it might fix it for you as well.

Thanks Jesse!!!

1. Close Visual Studio

2. Manually edit the Visual Studio configuration by changing the devenv.exe.config file in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE.

And add the line:
    <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" enabled="true" />

to the <system.net>…</system.net> section

3. Restart VS, it should work

Review Horizon

Monday, March 18, 2013 6:19 PM
  • We've had the same issue for about 3 weeks now.

Trying this solution did not work for us.  When we add the "defaultProxy" attribute inside <settings> Visual Studio would not even authenticate. Moving it out of <settings> but still within <system.net> had no impact and we still get the error of not being able to refresh the app list.  BTW, editing the config file proved a bit convoluted as I had to save a copy elsewhere and them move it to the IDE folder.

Monday, March 18, 2013 8:22 PM
  • They have had fiddler capture files since 1st march, when I spent the best part of a weekend going through a shedload of diagnostics and building virtual machines to prove/disprove theories with Microsoft support.

Monday, March 18, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Hi SorinM

This fix did not work for me, I applied your change to VSWinExpress.exe.config as I didn't have a devenv.exe.config

"Visual Studio was unable to verify your developer account. Either the store is unavailable or an unexpected network error has occured. "

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Reviewed a bit further here today. I got through once today, but no more. It looks like it is trying to access this URL and retrieve an XML representation of my apps.

https://appdev.microsoft.com/storeupload/services/uploadservice/ReservedInfo?productGuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

Visual Studio times out at 30 seconds, the response to the requested URL comes back in about 115 seconds.

Please fix the speed of these services so we can submit more apps and make updates to existing apps, if this is not fixed we are basically dead in the water.  

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Reviewed a little further here.

I got in once today, but not since.

Visual Studio times out in about 30 seconds when requesting this URL, but the response takes anywhere from 60-115 seconds for me.

https://appdev.microsoft.com/storeupload/services/uploadservice/ReservedInfo?productGuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

Please fix this and speed up this webservice or remove the timeout so we can submit new apps and updates again. Dead in the water now.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Would there be a way to change or set the timeout somewhere in Visual Studio's config??
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:28 PM
  • It's a bit of a hack, but if you really need to get past this then you can get the PFN by using Fiddler to sniff the network request and pick it out of the XML. You can then take the manifest from an app that's already in the store and change the PFN to the correct value. Not totally simple, but it works!
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Would have been a nice solution, except the request eventually fails for me even in Fiddler with code 504. Never mind 30 second timeout in the Visual Studio. This is indeed a royal pain... :(

Have 27 active apps and a few dozen reserved names.

Friday, March 22, 2013 6:03 AM
  • Yay!!! Figured it out! After killing off some unneeded names I got the request to succeed at least in Fiddler. I then saved the response to disk file and set up Fiddler auto-responder rule to serve that file when asked for https://appdev.microsoft.com/storeupload/services/uploadservice/ReservedInfo?productGuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 - this way Visual Studio gets the response immediately on the next try and I can associate the app with the store and build a package!

Friday, March 22, 2013 6:44 AM
  • I have a problem with the same error I am Japanese. Application has published more than 120. In recognition of this problem, what are you me it is Microsoft. Why is not there a solution for this error. I'm in trouble app is unable to apply for.
    • Proposed as answer by RayAtSenstic Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:48 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by RayAtSenstic Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:48 AM
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Thanks for this workaround, I was thinking of setting up some sort of reverse proxy like Varnish and standing it up in front of the services URL, but the auto-responder rule sounds more straightforward, didn't know it existed!

Hopefully Microsoft will come up with a real fix, but in the meantime this workaround will help.

This is a bad situation, most times I cannot create App packages to submit to the store. Occasionally I get it to work.

I'm starting to have a backlog of apps and updates to submit because of this problem and it is a big waste of time to have your developers sitting there wasting half a minute at a time just waiting for this thing to load.

Sunday, March 24, 2013 5:16 PM
  • I have reported visual studio bug to microsoft. please vote for it so that it come up in stack. following is the link :

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/782015/visual-studio-express-for-windows-8-could-not-able-to-create-app-packages

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:53 AM
  • Recently I am finding that the above dialog is getting harder and harder to work through and has become a bottleneck when attempting to issue a new version of an existing App (or a new App).  When I first started developing apps for Windows 8 it would fail occasionally, but a refresh would solve the problem.  I am now finding that sometimes even a dozen refreshes are required before I get my list of Apps.

(See http://websurfaces.co.uk/2013/03/25/create-app-package-dialog-failing/ for screen shots)

Anyone else in the same boat or able to suggest a solution?

Thx

Ian Walker, http://rd3d2.wordpress.com

• Merged by Jesse_F Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:59 PM same topic
    Monday, March 25, 2013 7:20 PM
  • refer to this post. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsstore/thread/cf578dab-79f2-46ab-a2aa-50a46041ea20

Please be sure to open a support ticket - although they are looking for a solution, the more tickets the higher the priority!

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Same as mine, and my 3 friends have the same problem.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:13 AM
  • Same problem I have about 40 apps...

so annoying

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:19 AM
  • having same problem

ED

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:27 AM
  • Yay!!! Figured it out! After killing off some unneeded names I got the request to succeed at least in Fiddler. I then saved the response to disk file and set up Fiddler auto-responder rule to serve that file when asked for https://appdev.microsoft.com/storeupload/services/uploadservice/ReservedInfo?productGuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 - this way Visual Studio gets the response immediately on the next try and I can associate the app with the store and build a package!

Could you share the response file (with cleaning your information if any) so that we could modify it for our needs?

ED

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:29 AM
  • This is what worked for me on Saturday. Since then I have not been able to download any data, from this link, or even get into the dashboard.

2  in your browser  goto https://appdev.microsoft.com/storeupload/services/uploadservice/ReservedInfo?productGuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

5 create app in vs

• Proposed as answer by kesyn Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Prateek Jaiswal Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:18 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:58 AM
  • What is fiddler and how do you turn it off? Can you "dumb" it down a bit? lol
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:58 AM
  • nm i got it...

Doesn't work though. If i use my browser it does go to the file but not if I try to associate my app

• Edited by Simpuhl Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:21 AM add not working
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:02 AM
  • How did you setup fiddler?

I have if reuqest matches

EXACT:https://appdev.microsoft.com/storeupload/services/uploadservice/ReservedInfo?productGuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

then respond with

path\to\file\blah.xml

which it loads fine in ie and chrome but the associate wont load it

• Edited by Simpuhl Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:51 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:49 AM
  • Reviewed a bit further here today. I got through once today, but no more. It looks like it is trying to access this URL and retrieve an XML representation of my apps.

Visual Studio times out at 30 seconds, the response to the requested URL comes back in about 115 seconds.

Please fix the speed of these services so we can submit more apps and make updates to existing apps, if this is not fixed we are basically dead in the water.  

THIS^
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:57 AM
  • This page cannot display in my browser, should I remove some names from dashboard?

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:09 AM

5 create app in vs

not work for me, If i use my browser it does go to the file but not if I try to associate my app

=(

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:14 AM
  • same for me
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:27 AM
  • not work for me, If i use my browser it does go to the file but not if I try to associate my app

=(

Try, First sign in to windows 8 store account then browse in new tab https://appdev.microsoft.com/storeupload/services/uploadservice/ReservedInfo?productGuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

It will took some time. it took 5 min to me to load xml.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:48 AM
  • i try to create an new app package  to upload an app, but when i come in the dialog to select the package that i have in the store it says an network error occurred. when i look with fiddler i see this request: https://appdev.microsoft.com/storeupload/services/uploadservice/ReservedInfo?productGuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 never returns data.

help?

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

• Merged by Jesse_F Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:18 PM same issue
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:36 AM
  • Hello Ian,

Are you behind a proxy of any sort, firewall or web filtering? What sort of ISP service do you have, is it DSL or high speed? This is an issue that we are working on with the developers that have reported it to us. However, we are still gathering variables to determine what the commonality is between those experiencing the issue. If you would like, open a service request with us by clicking on the support tab and let us know how we can help.

Thanks,

Jesse

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:46 PM
  • This has not been answered and is still an outstanding issue with Microsoft.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Hi Jesse,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am on a DSL which generally has a download speed of around 6MB/S and am not behind a firewall. However, this doesn't appear to be the issue.  The issue appears to be the number of Apps you have in the store (or reserved names in the store) once it gets around the 50 mark the service starts to fail.  

Here is a test I ran which you might find useful:

Using my own account (50 or so apps) I ran the dialog around 20 times (without success).

I then immediately switched to my nephews' account (who only has a couple of apps) and was able to see their apps almost immediately (using the same machine and connection)

So just to summarise, this issue appears to be dependent on the number of apps (ie payload size) rather than download Speed/ ISP/Internet type.

I have a large backlog of apps waiting to be uploaded and appreciate your assistance.

Best Regards,

Ian

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:30 PM
  • finally this issue seems to be fixed, seems they changed the get list service single call to multiple call. Now it starts to work for me tonight, the world has gone back to normal. :)

AllanChan

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Still not working for me and the fix I posted stopped before working as well :(

Review Horizon

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Working for me now (based in UK)

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:11 PM
  • For those of you have this working, are you still seeing the same URL request in Fiddler: https://appdev.microsoft.com/storeupload/services/uploadservice/ReservedInfo?productGuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 or does the productGuid value change?

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:11 PM
  • I too have this issue in UK so not yet resolved and a rather big downfall of the system.
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Yes - I am still having the same problem - also in the Uk - but can still load using the workaround.

nevets2001uk - could you please make sure you raise this as an issue with support.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Seems to be working for me now "for the most part". Only sometimes I get the error but not as much.

Friday, March 29, 2013 2:12 AM
  • Just a bump up as this is still outstanding
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:28 PM
  • Another bump...
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Earlier this morning we were able to get the list of app names from Visual Studio.  We didn't have to do anything on our end more than provide as much information as we could to MS. Clearly the issue was on the Store and not on our end or on Visual Studio.

After a longer wait (about 2.5 minutes), Visual Studio was able to get our long list of apps.  It does take a long while to populate the list, but at least it now does. It seems that the store sends every app name as a separate thread rather than the whole list at once. That explains the > 2 minute wait without a timeout.

As a reference the machine we used has Visual Studio Professional 2012 version 11.0.51106.01 Update 1 with Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4.5.50709.
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Two server-side fixes were pushed out today for this problem - I am not sure if they were VS fixes or back-end fixes, but they resolve a timeout issue with querying the number of published apps.  If everything is working now, please just let me know.  If not, make sure your VS is completely up to date and try again.  Please post your results here.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, April 5, 2013 5:41 PM
  • Here is my feedback.

The initial fetch of file reservedinfo.xml is now almost instantaneous therefore the time out issue has stopped.

However, the second part of the process which individually fetches
    information about every GUID in the reservedinfo.xml file, although it
    works and does produce a list eventually, is taking far too long. It is
    currently taking 4 minutes to query approx 350 apps. This happens each time an app is created.

This is unworkable for me, especially as no other process can be used
    during the retrieval, as on returning to the download screen the
    download process starts over again!
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:06 AM
  • With stopwatch in hand twice I clocked 5 minutes 20 seconds to build a list of 300 or so apps.

We agree that this is unacceptable if you're building more than one app.  And yes, if Visual Studio looses focus, the whole process starts over once it regains it, even if the list has populated!

Monday, April 8, 2013 11:04 PM
  • With stopwatch in hand twice I clocked 5 minutes 20 seconds to build a list of 300 or so apps.

We agree that this is unacceptable if you're building more than one app.  And yes, if Visual Studio looses focus, the whole process starts over once it regains it, even if the list has populated!

I shouldn't worry about this too much - I suspect that the dashboard is going to be the next to collapse under the weight of apps as each refresh brings in the full apps list. We are already experiencing time outs at various times of day - generally between 11:00 and 16:00 (UK) - and this can only get worse with the current design of the dashboard.

Seriously though, you can get round this by using the workaround to get the initial file and edit that file to just include the apps you are working on. Works a treat.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 10:34 AM
  • I'll bring this issue up with our Store team.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:32 PM