Newbie can't find Visual Studio to get started RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, new to win phone programming but not programming in general. Retired after 40+ years as a programmer. I want to play with this stuff and no intention of selling anything. Probably not even bother to upload to the Store.

I have downloaded and installed the SDK, but can't find how to get it started. I have found a "command line" version for Visual Studio on the Start screen, but surely there is something better than that.

I am running win8.1 that came with my i5 Acer laptop with scads of memory and big SSD and have paid my 19-bucks to msoft.

I have waited 35-minutes for it to all download and install, but...

How do I get the VS desktop, IDE or whatever it is called, started?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:46 PM

Answers

• Now that you mention it, I don't have anything named "Visual Studio 2013" on my Start screen either (I do have "Visual Studio 2012").

From the start screen, search instead for "VS Express 2013 for Windows".

• Marked as answer by StoneAgeIT Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:51 PM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

May I know the problem/error you are getting?

Try similarly(this link is for Windows but you can try for WP similarly) -

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-and-Setup-Visual-Studio-Express-2013

-Malleswar

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Now that you mention it, I don't have anything named "Visual Studio 2013" on my Start screen either (I do have "Visual Studio 2012").

From the start screen, search instead for "VS Express 2013 for Windows".

• Marked as answer by StoneAgeIT Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:51 PM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:18 PM
  • Arrrggghhhh - Thanks, that was it. Being msoft, I should have known it would not be easy or simple.

Has no one told them there is a place to put start-buttons to launch programs? It's called the Start Screen. Back in 1999, I was head hunted by msoft and they could not understand why I kept rejecting offers to join them. {sigh}

Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:51 PM