[UWP]UWP package language resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have developed a UWP App which contains text resources in English, Hindi and Marathi languages. The App allows the user to select a language from a App specifc combobox element, selecting which calls the PrimaryLanguageOverride to show the UI elements in the chosen language immediately.

While testing the App I have tested it in all languages on Local Machine, Simulator and an ARM device. The device language was effectively overwritten with the user-chosen language to display the UI text in user-chosen language.

This App has been published to the App store. But now when I install the App from the App Store on the same machine or ARM device then the language feature does not seem to work. The text resources in Hindi and Marathi languages are not getting loaded in the app store installation! Hence you do not see the UI elements in Hindi or Marathi.

However if I uninstall the App, change my device language to Hindi, access the app store and install the App. Then the UI text appears in Hindi.

There appears to be something wrong with the App package created for App store submission, but the same was created automatically via VS!

Could this be a bug OR Is my understanding of how languages work incorrect?

Regards

• Edited by Barry Wang Friday, April 8, 2016 1:51 AM title tags
    Sunday, March 27, 2016 3:38 PM

Answers

• This works as expected.

The system doesn't download whole the package, but just assets that it is going to use (based on the resolution, language, etc). Though, the system should note that the requirement has changed and download new assets, but that won't be visible until you restart the app (and of course with assumption that new resources are downloaded in the meantime). It works like that for images and Continuum, I haven't tested for languages but it should work exactly the same.

Check my apps: Share to Speech and File Cards

• Edited by ivan.icin Sunday, March 27, 2016 4:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Barry Wang Friday, April 8, 2016 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Saturday, April 9, 2016 3:35 PM
    Sunday, March 27, 2016 4:45 PM