The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
[UWP]Audio effects implemented using MFTs with background audio? It worked in 8.1. Now what? RRS feed

• Question

• I updated my 8.1 "Universal" app to Windows 10 UWP. Now, it doesn't play audio while minimized.

I took a look at the Background Audio sample and found it does NOT support ANY audio effects.

AudioGraph and the AudioEffect framework looks great! However, AudioEffects only seem to work with AudioGraph. I attempted to use AudioGraph, but I could not access the System Media Transport Controls from the background task. They seem to be available to only the BackgroundMediaPlayer within a background task. Also, I could not get AudioGraph to run inside a background task. All the classes and interfaces I need to make it work are NOT ACCESSIBLE!

I have already combed the forums for answers. The only answer I found (completely insane BTW), basically instructed developers to create a MediaStreamSource (which would entail writing decoders that already exist in Media Foundation and AudioGraph).

So, my questions are:

1. Is there something I am overlooking or did Microsoft really screw over the media app developers?
    2. Is there a way to get background task access to SystemMediaTransportControls without BackgroundMediaPlayer?
    3. Is it even possible to run AudioGraph in a background task?
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:04 AM

All replies

• I may have found a solution to the problem by utilizing an AudioFrameOutputNode to create a stream, then using the stream as the source for BackgroundMediaPlayer.

If it works (and I remember to do so), I'll post a code sample.

I still think AudioGraph should have the ability to render audio in the background. Furthermore, AudioGraph should have access to SystemMediaTransportControls.

I understand this may not be an intended use case for AudioGraph. However, limiting the functionality of background audio in Windows 10 UAP apps has left a gap in the API that must be filled with something. Based on my research, AudioGraph would fit nicely (if it contained the aforementioned functionality).

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 11:24 PM
  • I may have found a solution to the problem by utilizing an AudioFrameOutputNode to create a stream, then using the stream as the source for BackgroundMediaPlayer.

I still think AudioGraph should have the ability to render audio in the background. Furthermore, AudioGraph should have access to SystemMediaTransportControls.

I understand this may not be an intended use case for AudioGraph. However, limiting the functionality of background audio in Windows 10 UAP apps has left a gap in the API that must be filled with something. Based on my research, AudioGraph would fit nicely (if it contained the aforementioned functionality).

Try this class ExtendedExecutionSession with specific reason: ExtendedExecutionSession

Best Regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Thursday, September 24, 2015 5:15 AM
  • Hello, I am in the same problem, and I have seen the example about mediaelements and background audio and it is not really friendly to begin with that even if I do not know if it will work with Audiograph. Were you able to pass the stream to the background player?.

Thanks for apporting that clue that can help.

Juan Pablo G.C.

Monday, November 16, 2015 5:01 AM

Try this class ExtendedExecutionSession with specific reason: ExtendedExecutionSession

Best Regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

I have tested that with the examples from http://wp.qmatteoq.com/the-new-background-features-in-windows-10/ and it and it does simply not work, the audio pauses when minimized or locked.

Juan Pablo G.C.

Monday, November 16, 2015 5:15 AM