none
Kinect v2 keeps disconnecting after every 10 seconds on windows 10 1903 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I know there are other questions about this problem on previous windows version 1809 but it is still happening in windows 1903.

I tried some solutions found around the web but they didn't work for me.

My pc is HP Pavilion Power 15cb007nl with intel core i7 7700HQ with nvidia GeForce 1050.

There are any solution on windows 1903?

Sunday, July 28, 2019 8:22 PM

All replies

• Same here, Using Kinect v2 with the Adapter to connect to the PC (Win10 1903).

Turns on and Off when trying to use it.

-Tried two different PC's, acts the same
    -Tried All possible SDK's,Visual studio, features updates and drivers
    -Audio settings for the Kinect, always on, listen to this device on and working (i can hear my voice)
    -Multiple other solutions on the internet forums.

nothing works, I also have USB 3.0 yellow warning, but the device was installed successfully and only turns off when trying to check the depth sensor for example, turns on for a couple seconds. Dies. Reconnects to PC. Repeat.

Really frustrating. I wanted to use it for some simple mocaps and play around with it, hardware is really well thought out, but the software side keeps me from using it :I

Sunday, August 4, 2019 10:43 AM
  • Hello. I'm also trying to get a Kenect v2 (Kinect One?) to work on my computer as part of an interactive project. My desktop computer is running Windows version 1903 (OS Build 18362.10013) and the kinect disconnects repeatedly, as others have reported. I did install a USB add-in card, as I read somewhere that this might be the issue, but this didn't solve the problem. Interestingly, the Kinect works flawlessly on my surface which is also running Windows 1903, but the OS build is different (18362.239). Given the nature of the project I'm working on I really was hoping to do this on my desktop - I'm not sure how to go about changing to a different OS build or if that would even solve the problem - can anyone offer advice?
    Monday, August 12, 2019 7:53 PM
  • I fixed it for myself on 1903 just now. Had to go to "Microphone privacy settings" and turn on the switch for "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone". "KinectService.exe" should actually be listed on that setting panel, if your software setup is correct. Also in Device Manager, you should have "WDF KinectSensor Interface 0" with driver 2.2.1811.10000 (provided automatically). You should also see the Kinect as an enabled audio recording device, both in Device Manager, and under the advanced "Sound" settings menu. If it's disabled, in either place, it starts doing the 8-10 second disconnect loops again.

I think the Kinect service is designed to test the microphone, and then, if it's not able to access the microphone, to repeatedly disconnect and reconnect the device until it has sound input. Which makes sense, because in Device Manager, the audio device portion of the Kinect ("Xbox NUI Sensor") is the one constantly disappearing and reappearing when the interruptions occur. At least, this was the issue in my case.

Monday, September 16, 2019 5:48 AM
  • Did ABHelper's solution worked for anyone else that had issues after updating to 1903?

Thanks.

Bryan

Thursday, September 26, 2019 6:43 AM
  • Yes. It did for me. And it's stupid. In my case I had disabled the array mic for privacy, and now just made it's levels 0.
    Monday, September 30, 2019 6:51 PM
  • FINALLY!!!!! I DO FIXED the problem after turning on the "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone" switch!!!!
    • Edited by imzhken Sunday, October 13, 2019 11:05 AM
    Sunday, October 13, 2019 11:04 AM
  • All these suggestions did not fix my reconnecting issue.

However, going into device manager and rolling back the "WDF Kinect Sensor Interface" driver and then restarting my pc fixed it for me finally.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:38 AM
  • Shioro -

What version of the driver are you now on, and does it match the version number of "Kinect for Windows Runtime" displayed in Settings->Apps?

Thanks.

Bryan

Saturday, December 7, 2019 12:01 AM
  • I'm looking into this in one of our installations and I see that the driver is newer in our case. 2.2.1905.16000.

I'll try rollback in case it does fix the issue.

UPDATE: I can't seem to do that. I installed the SDK again and it defaults to this driver. Moreover, rollback is not possible(grayed out).

UPDATE2: I forgot to mention that the permissions were set up correctly even before.

Monday, December 9, 2019 12:27 PM
  • Nikolaos -

You shouldn't need to roll back.  If you reinstall the SDK (I assume by SDK you mean this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44561 ) it will install the 2.0.1410.19000 driver, which will then need to be updated. 

Please check that the driver and runtime have the same version number and are running correctly.

Check Task Manager->Details, and make sure you see exactly one instance of Kinect Service running, that it is running as your user account, and is not periodically restarting.

Then:  Right click on "KinectService.exe"->Properties tab and check that the version number is the same you reported for your driver above.

Bryan

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 12:43 AM
  • Nikolaos -

You shouldn't need to roll back.  If you reinstall the SDK (I assume by SDK you mean this:) it will install the 2.0.1410.19000 driver, which will then need to be updated. 

Please check that the driver and runtime have the same version number and are running correctly.

Check Task Manager->Details, and make sure you see exactly one instance of Kinect Service running, that it is running as your user account, and is not periodically restarting.

Then:  Right click on "KinectService.exe"->Properties tab and check that the version number is the same you reported for your driver above.

Bryan

Both the driver and runtime have the same version number, all of the sound settings are enabled and allowed, everything is up to date, USB ports are 3.0, still restarts constantly.

When opening the SDK browser, the kinect connection is green, then switch to red as it turns off and restarts. I've reinstalled/rebooted/updated/disabled/uninstalled everything about the kinect and nothing has worked.

I have no idea what to do next, any thoughts?

Edit: I noticed the KinectMonitor.exe is ran by SYSTEM. Not sure if that means anything.

• Edited by Echo Nine Tuesday, December 10, 2019 8:47 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 8:36 AM
  • Nikolaos -

You shouldn't need to roll back.  If you reinstall the SDK (I assume by SDK you mean this:) it will install the 2.0.1410.19000 driver, which will then need to be updated. 

Bryan

Both the driver and runtime have the same version number, all of the sound settings are enabled and allowed, everything is up to date, USB ports are 3.0, still restarts constantly.

When opening the SDK browser, the kinect connection is green, then switch to red as it turns off and restarts. I've reinstalled/rebooted/updated/disabled/uninstalled everything about the kinect and nothing has worked.

I have no idea what to do next, any thoughts?

Edit: I noticed the KinectMonitor.exe is ran by SYSTEM. Not sure if that means anything.

@Bryan, this pretty much matches my case as well. I checked the versions and they did match. I also uninstalled stuff and reinstalled the SDK anew and it still happened. Unfortunately since this is an installation at a client I couldn't wait a lot and tried rolling back to a much earlier version. At some point Windows will do an Update so I guess I'll have to deal with this again. I hope we can find a solution by then.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 8:58 AM
  • @Bryan, this pretty much matches my case as well. I checked the versions and they did match. I also uninstalled stuff and reinstalled the SDK anew and it still happened. Unfortunately since this is an installation at a client I couldn't wait a lot and tried rolling back to a much earlier version. At some point Windows will do an Update so I guess I'll have to deal with this again. I hope we can find a solution by then.

What version did you roll back to? Might be worth a try installing a specific version of the driver if that's working for people.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:22 AM
  • To be honest I didn't keep the info, as I was in kind of a hurry. I'll see what I can do.
    We'll monitor it for the next 3-4 days. It's not confirmed to be working yet. And I'd rather the new one gets fixed. Windows Update will eventually update the driver so this is only a temporary measure.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:29 AM
  • Some minor testing, I plugged in my Occulus Rift as well and noticed that the rift would disconnect from the computer at given intervals while I had the Kinect plugged in.

Is this a USB hub issue, or a power issue?

Note: While my rift is connected, the occulus software says that it's connected to a stable USB 3 port. So I have no idea.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:28 AM
  • Nikolaos -

You shouldn't need to roll back.  If you reinstall the SDK (I assume by SDK you mean this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44561 ) it will install the 2.0.1410.19000 driver, which will then need to be updated. 

Bryan

The old driver did not work and it got updated eventually( so no point in rolling back if Update will do its thing and update the driver anyway down the road). I removed the SDK and the uninstalled the driver from Device Manager. Then I rebooted and installed the SDK.

The Runtime and Kinect Service matched version(2.2.1905.16000) while the driver was an old one(2.0.1410.18000 if memory serves me, I tried to write this post some hours ago but MSDN has issues and I couldn't so I'm posting from memory). Also Kinect Service existed only once in Task Manager-> Details and did not restart itself at all. It also operated under the user's account, not SYSTEM. Since then, the driver got updated by Windows Update, so I'm assuming it now has the latest which is 2.2.1905.16000 as well.

Not sure if the clean install will affect anything as the versions between driver and service/runtime matched before I installed the older SDK/driver.

And as I stated below, the sharing permissions for Audio were correct from the beginning.
    Any other ideas?

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 3:39 PM
  • The driver/service state you describe sounds correct.

Just to confirm your microphone settings - there are also two separate settings for the microphone that could be causing the kinect to restart (in addition to checking the individual permissions for any app that you want to use with kinect):

Settings->Privacy->Microphone->"Allow access to the microphone on this device"->"Microphone access to this device is on" (use the "Change" button to alter this setting if needed)

Settings->Privacy->Microphone->"Allow desktop apps to access your microphone" set to "On"

You should see "KinectService.exe" in the list under both of these toggle switches.

Bryan

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 11:05 PM
  • Both of these settings were properly set up the first time as this is a long running installation.

The only difference to what you said and the images is that just one of the toggles shows an app list. And you can see Kinect Service in there. The first one though, does not. Or does not have any apps to show perhaps. Does that give you an idea?

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:28 AM
  • Right now I'm seeing an issue with the sensor. Configuration Verifier shows red in Verify Kinect Depth and Color Streams.(No depth frames received from sensor). And Kinect Studio shows nothing. I'm starting to think either the problem changed or it was probably a hardware issue from the beginning.

In TaskManager->Details the service exists, does not continuously restart. In the Services tab, I can only see KinectMonitor(not sure if that's okay or not).

Tomorrow I'll go there personally. Any ideas what else I can look at?

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 1:09 PM
  • Are you accessing the PC in this case over Remote Desktop?  That can result this sort of issue as well.  Setting audio to play on the remote PC can partially resolve things ("store apps" such as "Camera" should then work) but you still may see issues with apps like the configuration verifier or Kinect Studio.  

The setting for playing the remote audio on the PC in Remote Desktop is (you may need to select "Show Options" first):

"Local Resources"->"Remote Audio"->"Settings..."->"Remote audio playback"->"Play on remote computer".

Bryan

Thursday, December 19, 2019 3:32 AM
  • I'm using Teamviewer, which I've been using quite some time now. I've used Teamviewer in a multitude of situations revolving Kinect, be it support or development. Has never given me grief, no matter the pc I connected to. The problem has been reported to us by the staff of the place where the installation is, which happens when I'm not connected remotely.

To save you some trouble, I've already gone through the Troubleshooting thread. This is new.

Btw Kinect Studio now refuses to play anything at my home desktop as well, after the latest updates. I use a recording and when I click on Connect, the Play button greys out. That said, in this case, I don't have a Kinect connected to the machine, but it was fine to use a recording with the service so far(at least two years I've been using this machine). The new driver(or the lastest OS builds) seem to cause issues no matter how I see it.

My home desktop is on Windows 10 1909, while the machine at the installation is probably on 1903(or whichever is right before 1909).

UPDATE: My home laptop which was also set up for Kinect dev for at least 3.5 years now, recently upgraded to 1903 Win10 has the same issue as my home desktop. Kinect Studio refuses to play a recording when I connect to the service.

Thursday, December 19, 2019 6:23 AM
  • Nikolaos -

I just tried recording and playback in Kinect Studio and everything seemed to work for me (I was able to play back without a Kinect connected to the machine).  Does the playback issue you're experiencing only apply to existing recordings, or if you take a new recording with Kinect Studio are you then not able to play it back?  If you can reproduce this with a new recording, can you give me the exact set of steps that lead to it?

I'll also try this on some additional machines shortly to see if I can find one that reproduces the issue.

Thanks.

Bryan

Thursday, December 19, 2019 8:09 PM
  • I didn't try new recordings because I did not have Kinect connected. I had an existing recording I've been using for most of my situations as it as quite convenient for them.

Funny thing is, I upgraded my personal laptop to 1909 at the office today. Right before that, I had connected Kinect and I got no frames out of it. Right after upgrading to 1909 though and reinstalling the SDK it worked. I could also playback the old recordings. Then the driver got updated and it kept working.

So I reinstalled the SDK on the home desktop(which already had 1909) and playing back an old recording as well as record and playback a new one using a Kinect sensor I got from work, works well. Since I reinstalled the SDK it worked using the old driver & service(2.0.1410.18000). As I'm writing this I forced a check for updates and Windows Update just now started downloading the new driver......Installed the new driver and it works.

It seems to me that if Windows Update installs the new driver prior to 1909, it messes things up. At the machine of the long running installation I mentioned before, our IT guy somehow cut off updates to the driver and I did a clean reinstallation(also uninstalled driver from Device Manager) and installed the old driver and service(2.0.1410.18000). Seemed to be working ok yesterday evening and in the morning today, when I checked with Teamviewer. I will probably monitor it closely tomorrow for several hours on-site so I will post an update.

So my question is, does your machine have the 1909 or the 1903 Windows build currently? If not, can you find one and do some tests there?

Thursday, December 19, 2019 9:06 PM
  • I had this same issue.

I solved it by uninstalling both the WDF kinect Sensor interface 0 (deleting the driver) and the micophone array driver from device manager. Unplugged the kinect (important so it does not auto update the kinect driver to 2.2.1905.16000. ) I uninstalled the v2 SDK. Updated Windows to 1909.  

Then installed the SDK again. Once it was installed I plugged in the kinect. It installed the kinect driver from the SDK. (2.0.1410.18000).

Currently it is now working properly again (ie not restarting every 6 seconds). So as long as the kinect driver does not auto update it should continue to work.

From what I can gather the (2.2.1905.16000 kinect driver is broken). 

Monday, December 23, 2019 12:49 PM
  • Even if you did all though @Nocturnal Media, the driver will at some point auto update to the 2.2.1905.16000 so long as the machine has internet.

So far my desktop and laptop at home work with the new driver and 1909. But the malfunctioning installation still has issues I've yet to figure out.

Monday, December 23, 2019 2:31 PM
  • Thank you, this worked for me
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 1:10 AM
  • thank you, that worked for me!
    Thursday, March 5, 2020 1:46 AM
  • I have tried everything...even the reinstall instructions provided by Nocturnal Media. 

Kinect Configuration Verifier: All green except the "USB Controller" & "Verify Kinect Depth and Color Streams"

Then open Kinect Studio: Click the connect button next to where it says "Not connected"; Then it says connected and still a gray window.

At a loss on how to fix this....

Other recommendations were to disable the mic and move the level to zero after re-enabling it. When I select the kinect as the mic, I can see the meter bouncing in a test. 

Another said to change a few power settings so the pc provided max processing power at all times. Tried it. 

When it does turn on, the xbox logo eluminates, then a small bar eliminates to the right of the camera on the far left. Should it be doing anything else? Is my kinect broken?

Thanks,

Matt

Update: The last section, "Verify Kinect Depth and Color Streams," on the Kinect Configuration Verifier has two black boxes which would show the feed if it was working. Well, I saw that the camera worked on the left box for only a few seconds. I have not been able to replicate it but that tells me that the kinect does in fact work! My issue is elsewhere...

Update 2: I first tried this on a Thinkpad but now am attempting this on my Surface. Surface specs -  16gm ram, i7-6650U CPU processor, Win 1909, OS Build 18363.778. From my first update, I was able to see that the camera worked on the Surface in that same left box/window as before. It is intermittent and it is similar to a slow timelapse; just one frame every few seconds. Tried uploading a screenshot but my account is apprarently not verified yet. Thanks for any guidance folks. 

Monday, April 20, 2020 8:15 PM