A little confused about service type RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Peeps,

I'm hoping you can help me with the project type I need to create.  We are replacing our in house case management system and development is ploughing ahead with the new GUI.

I have been tasked with integration development as there are a myriad of existing systems that import and export data & documents to the system.

As part of phase 1, we need to replace an existing windows service by upgrading it to 4.0 of the framework and ideally hosting it in appfabric.

The service essentially runs a timer that checks for work to process from a database depending on business rules.

All of the talk and examples I can see on the internet focus on WCF services that have endpoints as calls are made to them.  In my scenario, this is not required as we need the service to be running constantly.  We want to be consistent with the rest of the project which is why the service will be monitored by appfabric and eventually SCOM.

What project type / output should I be using for this? There is very little help regarding our specific scenario and very little documentation.  Essentially I need to fire certain code on startup but there appears to be no functionality for that.

Your help is most appreciated.

Cheers

Scott

Scott Kirwan-Thomas

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:05 AM

All replies

• Assuming that you want to deploy this on Azure, you can choose Worker Role to achieve this.

For this, you need to choose project "Cloud -> Windows Azure Cloud Service" from the Installed Templates list and then add a "Worker Role" to this cloud service project. You can implement your logic in the "Run" method of the WorkerRole class.

HTH

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:24 PM
  • I'm afraid not.  We intend to deploy it into windows server appfabric and not to azure.

I have looked at the worker role and if we were looking to deploy to the cloud it would have been the answer.

Cheers though.

Scott Kirwan-Thomas

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:13 PM
  • If your question isn't about Windows Azure, it should really be moved out of the "Windows Azure Development" forum.

Moderators, help?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:08 PM
  • As far as I can tell, windows server appfabric comes under azure development as the two are the same technology, one deployed in the cloud, one as a stand alone on premises technology.  

Every blog or information you read regarding appfabric states that it is now part of the azure technology.  So moderators please do help if this is the wrong forum as I really need an answer to the question.

Scott Kirwan-Thomas

Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:48 AM