What does the "Associate App with the Store" wizard do? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there documentation on what the "Associate App with the Store" wizard does? One screen of the wizard claims to list what it will do but it clearly does more (e.g. creates a new .pfx file in your project without saying it will do so).

This becomes important when setting up an app to use LiveConnect. The Windows Store Dashboard instructions say you can use the wizard or edit your manifest manually. The manual instructions seem incomplete...or at least I could not get my app to work without using the wizard. The manual instructions are:

"Open your app’s AppManifest.xml file in a text editor and set these attributes of the <identity> element using the values shown here.
    <Identity Name="--------" Publisher="-------------------------------------------" />"

So I would like to know what steps are missing from these instructions, i.e. what else does the wizard to?

Thanks!

Friday, December 28, 2012 4:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that the problem is that .pfx file doesn't match the Identity element. You could try to do as the following reference:

Overriding a package manifest

Signing an app package

Aaron
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by MarkT Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:39 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 7:57 AM
  • Thanks Aaron! I think you are correct; i.e. the Subject in the .pfx file must match the Publisher in the manifest. The wizard replaced my test cert with one from my store account which has the right Subject setting.

It is also possible to generate an appropriate certificate manually. To test this, I created a new project and manually edited the manifest to set the Name and Publisher attributes of the Identity element to those from my store account. I did not update my certificate though so there was a mismatch between the Subject in the certificate and the Publisher in the manifest. I tried to use LiveAuthClient to connect and it failed as expected and reported the app wasn't configured correctly.

Then I used the Visual Studio Manifest editor to generate a new test cert and specified my store Publisher value as the "Publisher Common Name" during the creation process. This meant the Subject in the new .pfx file matched the Publisher in the manifest. The app then worked correctly.

Thank you again for helping me with this question. The wizard did work for me, but I really wanted to know what it was doing behind the scenes.

• Edited by MarkT Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:39 AM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:28 AM