none
[UWP]Custom taskbar icon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm currently working on a UWP app and are wondering how I would go about adding a custom taskbar icon like Store and the mail app did. I tried setting the BackgroundColor in the appxmanifest for the uap:VisualElements to transparent but that didnt work. Thanks

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 10:21 PM

Answers

• Hi filfat,

I have confirmed with our experts and the following is the update information:

In order to implement creating a custom taskbar icon with the transparent BackgroundColor, please try to refer to the followin steps:

1.First please open your Package.appxmanifest and find the following code:
    Square150x150Logo="Assets\Logo.png" in VisualElements element and modify it with your own png file, for example in my side is:Square44x44Logo="Assets\emailtest.png"(the "emailtest.png" is my own png file).

2.Then please copy this "emailtest.png" file to two new pictures and rename them to: "emailtest.targetsize-48.png" and "emailtest.targetsize-48_altform-unplated.png" and place them in the original pictures folder.

You could adjust the number yourself to meet your scenario.

Then the result:

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:01 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi filfat,

Welcome to the Developing Universal Windows apps forum!
    Please read the sticky posts, especially the Guide to posting: subject line tags and Known Issues for Windows 10 SDK and Tools

If you want to add a custom taskbar icon, first please try to refer to the following article to modify your custom image icon:
    #Choosing your app images:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh846296.aspx.

After that please go to the Package.appxmanifest to configure your custom taskbar icon, the following is my example:

<uap:VisualElements
            DisplayName="App3"
            Square150x150Logo="Assets\MyCustomLogo.png"
            Square44x44Logo="Assets\MyCustomSmallLogo.png"
            Description="App3"
            BackgroundColor="#0FFFFF">
            <uap:SplashScreen Image="Assets\SplashScreen.png" />
          </uap:VisualElements>

The result:

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:12 AM
    Owner
  • That still creates the tile background that the store, edge and mail app doesn't have

https://pbs.twimg(.)com/media/CJUy3OiUkAAsNKE.png

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:16 AM
  • Hi filfat,

Based on this article, we can see that when we set the BackgroundColor to transparent, it will cause the system accent color to be used. Or we need to specify others colors for the BackgroundColor, after doing research in my mind it will hard to create a Custom taskbar icon with the transparent BackgroundColor by default or it will need some others configuration.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 2:09 AM
    Owner
  • How come Microsoft can do it with apps such as "Store", "Edge", "Outlook Mail", "Calendar", "Calculator" etc

(Btw apps such as "Weather" and "News" still have the tile background on the taskbar)

(Also, I cant post an image of what I mean thanks to the verification thing)

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:38 AM
  • Hi filfat,

For this issue, I am consulting with our experts, once there is any update, I will post it here.
    Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 9:26 AM
    Owner
  • Hi filfat,

I have confirmed with our experts and the following is the update information:

In order to implement creating a custom taskbar icon with the transparent BackgroundColor, please try to refer to the followin steps:

1.First please open your Package.appxmanifest and find the following code:
    Square150x150Logo="Assets\Logo.png" in VisualElements element and modify it with your own png file, for example in my side is:Square44x44Logo="Assets\emailtest.png"(the "emailtest.png" is my own png file).

2.Then please copy this "emailtest.png" file to two new pictures and rename them to: "emailtest.targetsize-48.png" and "emailtest.targetsize-48_altform-unplated.png" and place them in the original pictures folder.

You could adjust the number yourself to meet your scenario.

Then the result:

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:01 AM
    Owner