none
Notifications About Removal Due to Game Rating Certificates RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure that just like me, everyone else received the email about Taiwan and Russia having new requirements for game apps. I think I updated all of my apps that were in the Games category, but I don't want to end up having any of my apps removed from the store because I missed something. I would even be happy if I knew Taiwan & Russia were removed from my apps' target regions. When Microsoft removes any apps that were not updated with the necessary game rating certificates, will the apps be completely removed, or just removed from the Taiwan and/or Russian markets? Will I need to completely reupload any of my apps that I didn't update? I think we should be told specifically which of our apps do not meet the game rating certificates' requirements so that we know which ones we need to fix.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think that your app will be COMPLETELY removed from the Windows Phone Store. Even during the certification process, if your app fails the criteria for ONE country, it is not published in ANY country at all so this would be consistent with that reasoning.

In fact, in the e-mail MS states that the apps will be removed "from the Windows Phone Store" implying that it will be removed from all countries.

However, the certificates seem to be easy to get (and they are free). MS included some links in the e-mail that should help you get them.

I have already obtained mine.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:50 PM
  • OK, I guess that answers the question about completely removed, but is there a way to check to make sure I really fixed everything? I think I am just nervous because I don't want to suddenly need to resubmit all my apps, because that would throw off all the numbers on the reports, as well as just being a pain in the neck to do the resubmitting. Also, in the future, will the dev center validate that all required game rating certificates are included before allowing you to submit your app?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:19 PM
  • As far as game certificates, I think that all you can do is to check the list of countries where you published your game and make sure that you include game ratings for countries where you published that didn't initially require any ratings but now do (Russia and Taiwan). The other two countries that require game ratings are Brazil and South Korea.

You also have to make sure that you have the right kind of certificate for each country.

At the moment, if you submit a game to a country that requires a game rating but you fail to include one, your game will fail certification. The reason will be something along the lines that it misses a game rating and will not be published in any country.

I don't know if this will be changed in the future (i.e., to get an error when actually attempting to submit to a country w/o including a game certificate). Currently, as stated before, this scenario is only detected during the certification process.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Hello,

Yes there were recently new requirements to which Microsoft and Store Publishers must comply with for games in those markets.  All games must have an applicable Games Rating certificate.  More specific information is outlined here, http://www.gamerating.org.tw/GameSoftwareRatingManagementRegulations_201212.pdf.

With regard to the removals, we would have only removed the games from those markets that are not rated with a Certificate.

Thank you

Jo

Jo T Smith

Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:40 PM
  • So even if I did make a mistake or forget something while updating my apps, they will still be available in the markets that do not require game rating certificates, is that correct?

Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:01 PM
  • I'm interested in confirming this too as the e-mail that I have received clearly states:

"Due to a new legal requirement, all games published inTaiwan or Russia must have a valid game parental and content rating (CSSR rating in Taiwan and PEGI rating in Russia).To prevent your application from being removed from the Windows Phone Store, please update your games in Dev Center byDecember 18, 2012. "

Note, that it says "from being removed from the Windows Phone Store", that implies that it will be removed from all markets.

Thanks.

• Edited by MariusVE Friday, December 7, 2012 10:22 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:57 PM
  • I think I'm just going to have to hope that I didn't forget anything and see if everything is still there afterwards. I guess if they don't have something to check for it or want to let it completely remove apps from all markets, they're probably going to end up hurting themselves more than us by forcing so many developers to reupload their apps and having a period where all their customers can't install them on their new Windows Phone 8s that they get for Christmas.

Friday, December 7, 2012 3:28 AM