none
[UWP] How to access MySQL in UWP application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

How can i access MySQL database in UWP application? What is the best way? 

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Muthukumar A

Monday, November 23, 2015 4:38 AM

Answers

• Hello Muthukumar,

>>How can i access MySQL database in UWP application? What is the best way?

Usually, for a server based database, we will have to build a middle service as a WCF service to connect the database, and make a RESTful query from the windows runtime project. Since the windows runtime does not provide the ADO.NET provider.

Update:

I did some more research and found  it seemed the MySql database is supported in windows store application from 6.7 version, from its official site:

Chapter 8 Connector/Net Support for Windows Store

You could have a check it and to check if this provider could also be used in UWP project, if not, I think the only way is to use the approach I mentioned above.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Fred Bao Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:44 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Jamles Hez Monday, November 30, 2015 1:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fred Bao Wednesday, December 2, 2015 11:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hello Muthukumar,

>>How can i access MySQL database in UWP application? What is the best way?

Usually, for a server based database, we will have to build a middle service as a WCF service to connect the database, and make a RESTful query from the windows runtime project. Since the windows runtime does not provide the ADO.NET provider.

Update:

I did some more research and found  it seemed the MySql database is supported in windows store application from 6.7 version, from its official site:

Chapter 8 Connector/Net Support for Windows Store

You could have a check it and to check if this provider could also be used in UWP project, if not, I think the only way is to use the approach I mentioned above.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Fred Bao Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:44 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Jamles Hez Monday, November 30, 2015 1:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fred Bao Wednesday, December 2, 2015 11:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:37 AM
  • Try MySQL's .Net Connector. It has a library called MySql.Data.RT.dll which lets you directly communicate with a MySQL database without having to use a web service, like you have to for Microsoft's own SQL Server.

- Prateek Jain

Saturday, January 23, 2016 6:07 PM
  • Unfortunately MySQL's .Net Connector does not support yet SSL.
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 6:21 PM