[WP8.1][C#] EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444 RRS feed

• Question

• Have lots of daily crashes in my WP8.1 app that I see in the new dev center. The stack trace shows only one line as follows where XXX... is the Id and YYY... is the assembly name. Doesn't seem to crash in my code or? Anyone with the same experience? Known bug? Can I do something about it?

Here's 8 different crash reports that I get in the dev center/health/failure log:

Failure string name 1:
    EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_YYYYYYYY.exe!{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_Timeout_expired:_event_type_=_Deactivate,_timeout_modifier_type_=_None,_server_task_currentState_=_Deactivating,_targetState

Failure string name 2:
    EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_YYYYYYYY.exe!{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_Timeout_expired:_event_type_=_SystemKeyPressed,_timeout_modifier_type_=_None,_server_task_currentState_=_Active,_targetState

Failure string name 3:
    EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_YYYYYYYY.exe!{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_Timeout_expired:_event_type_=_TargetStateChanged,_timeout_modifier_type_=_None,_server_task_currentState_=_NavigatingTo,_tar

Failure string name 4:
    EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_YYYYYYYY.exe!{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_Timeout_expired:_event_type_=_SystemKeyPressed,_timeout_modifier_type_=_None,_server_task_currentState_=_Deactivating,_targe

Failure string name 5:
    EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_YYYYYYYY.exe!{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_Timeout_expired:_event_type_=_TargetStateChanged,_timeout_modifier_type_=_None,_server_task_currentState_=_Pausing,_targetSt

Failure string name 6:
    EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_YYYYYYYY.exe!{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_Task_disconnected_while_still_running:_server_task_currentState_=_NavigatingTo,_targetState_=_Active.

Failure string name 7:
    EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_YYYYYYYY.exe!{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_Timeout_expired:_event_type_=_Activate,_timeout_modifier_type_=_None,_server_task_currentState_=_Activating,_targetState_=_A

Failure string name 8:
    MISSING_DUMP_EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_YYYYYYYY.exe!{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_Timeout_expired:_event_type_=_TargetStateChanged,_timeout_modifier_type_=_None,_server_task_currentState_=_Resuming,_targetS

Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:03 AM

All replies

• When using the new dev center I see that I have around 200 daily crashes with the follwing text:
    EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_backgroundTaskHost.exe

The stack trace contains only this info where XXX... is the Id and YYY... is the assembly name:

1 backgroundtaskhost.exe {XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_YYYYYYYY.BackgroundTask

Looks like it doesn't enter any user code. Just crashes before. What could cause this?

I'm using the XamlRenderingBackgorundtask if that could be of any interest.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 10:46 AM
  • Hi Luc Codewalker,

Welcome to the Developing Universal Windows apps forum!

First please try to refer to this article: How to debug a background task to do some troubleshooting and post them here when you get more details.
    I see that you are using the C# for your project, but based on this article:XamlRenderingBackgroundTask, we can see that in order to keep the memory footprint of the background task as low as possible, this task should be implemented in a C++ Windows Runtime Component for Windows Phone. The memory footprint will be higher if written in C# and will cause out of memory exceptions on low-memory devices which will terminate the background task. For more information on memory constraints, see Additional background task resource constraints for Windows Phone.

Besides, it will be better if you can try to post a simple reproduced project in here.

Best Regard,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:22 AM
  • Hi Amy,

Yeah I know all about the things you mention. Thanks anyway. Actually this EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444 doesn't only happen in the background task, it happens in the foreground app too.
    I created a new thread. Check it out. Think they are very related. Please check with the OS-dev team if they know anything about this crash type. For me it looks like the OS hangs for some reason.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/acc039ab-0163-4e40-90f7-4dd28135fe2e/wp81c-emwatchdogtimeoutdeada444?forum=wpdevelop

Best Regards,

Luc

Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Hi Luc Codewalker,

Ok, I will check it with our dev team about this issue, but before that could you please try to post a simple reproduced project in here?

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:16 AM
  • Anyone with the same experience? 

Oh yes, most certainly. I get these crashes too all the time in the new dashboard. They did not show up for me in the old dashboard. Made a thread myself about it. And there are others who experience the same issue: link 1, link 2. No idea what's the cause or how to fix it.

Maybe it's the MS code that's causing it? Because I can't find any other cause on my side, and as far as I can see, neither can anyone else who experiences this issue. Also I've bee unable to narrow it down so I don't have/can't make a repro or anything like that.

• Edited by Aria2014 Thursday, August 20, 2015 12:11 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:30 AM
  • No sorry Amy.

If I could I would. But this doesn't happen here when I test. I only see that some of my app users having this issue. And the project is too big, have no idea how to narrow it down and present it to you here.
    Check the other thread I posted, more devs have the same problem btw. Maybe that could help you and the dev team to figure out things.

Best Regards,

Luc

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:03 PM
  • I also get some crash report like that.

And there is no crash dump files and no stack trace.

And the Device is unknown.

I have no idea for it.

Monday, August 24, 2015 2:11 AM
  • I have the same problem, it's practically impossible to debug. 
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:26 PM
  • The same strange issue (

EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_TaskHost.exe!{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-BEDA-XXXXXXXXXXXX}_TaskHost_doesn_t_exit_in_time,_expecting_process_goes_away!

My users' crashes are all about TaskHost.exe.

I can't even understand what TaskHost.exe could be on WindowsPhone device.

Friday, August 28, 2015 7:18 AM
  • Same with me: EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_XXXXXXXXXXTimeout_expired:_event_type_=_TargetStateChanged,_timeout_modifier_type_=_None,_server_task_currentState_=_NavigatingTo,_tar

Just a guess, does TargetStateChanged means context switch?

I mean, the OS swap out your app and caused the app terminated.

Friday, August 28, 2015 6:27 PM
  • Same issue here. I don't have any background threads. Only UI.

The crashes started happening/showing up only in the new portal (I've never seen these issues in the old one). After I started getting these crashes, I have integrated the Application Insights into my App hoping to see some additional information there. Unfortunately, while the dev portal keeps showing up the crashes, the App Insights does not show any crashes/exceptions or unhandled exceptions.

I do have adDuplex and AdControl integration in my app. Wondering if this could have something to do with the crashes.

Anyone got any response/ideas from Microsoft?

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Same problem here. Any news about it?
    Monday, September 7, 2015 7:00 PM
  • COME ON MICROSOFT!! GIVE US SOMETHING!

Like, the meaning of _DEADA444 or _TIMEOUT, should we ignore these messages? Are you working to fix this in some way? Is it somethig we can do?

The way you handling this by neglecting us is very UNPROFESSIONAL !!
    We are your business partners and you need to shape up, this is very bad manners.

We have a responsibility towards our customers/users and reply to them when they have issues with our apps. Most of us are working really hard maintaining a good and honest communication with them!

Lastly, I accidentally added this question under the 'Submitting and Publishing Apps' and of course I can not change it to the 'Developing Universal Windows apps'.  Will be interesting to see if someone moves it and just that...nothing more...or will someone pay more attention to this issue that looks to be widespread.

Over and Out.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:51 AM
  • Same here. Coincides with the Win10 rollout. I have so many of those errors for my apps lately that I find myself ignoring the crash reports at the moment...
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:09 PM
  • Same here, I am seeing about 100 of these crashes daily, but only on Windows Phone 8.1 and only in app version "0.0.0.0".

There was no version 0.0.0.0 of our app.

So any idea, what's the source of this error and how can we fix it? Note we have only WP8 Silverlight app with no background task.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:19 PM
  • We are also facing same problem in our app, daily lot of crashes and we don't have any clue 
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 11:32 AM
  • I have same problem. Background task, trigger on raw notification
    Sunday, September 27, 2015 6:27 AM
  • Any update or info about this?

Anyone received any response from Microsoft?

Friday, October 9, 2015 3:36 AM
  • The same problem occurs here. It's impossible to fix it, I can't find any exceptions. Please Microsoft investigate in this issue, it's ridiculous that we have to waste time when it's a problem on your side. I stopped looking into the shitty crash reports from Dev Center.

Crash overview from my app regenthet.in latest 72 hours:

Check this URL: http://i.imgur.com/aYkFwWb.jpg

• Edited by Wietse0803 Sunday, October 11, 2015 10:03 AM
    Sunday, October 11, 2015 10:00 AM
  • After migrate the application on WP 8.1 Silverlight I had the same problem in the background agent.

Link

The answer is no. MS staff only move my question from one forum to another.

On the emulator I could not repeat this error.
    I installed the application on your device.
    On the device, the background process may die after 2-3 weeks of good work. When the Windows Phone says that the work of the background agent is enabled.
    But the process is not working.
    If restart background process from application , then there is no error, but the process is not working.
    Only restart device allows a background process to work again for a while.
    It's not like the behavior of the background process when there is an error in the code.
    I think that this is a bug in OS ...

Monday, October 12, 2015 1:50 PM
  • Same Problem here! I really don't know how to fix it. Would be nice to hear a response.
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 6:18 PM
  • Same problem too.
    Here is the crash logs :

MISSING_DUMP_EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_(APP_ASSEMBLY_NAME).exe!{(APP_ID)}_Timeout_expired:_event_type_=_TargetStateChanged,_timeout_modifier_type_=_None,_server_task_currentState_=_NavigatingTo,_tar

or

EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444_(APP_ASSEMBLY_NAME).exe!{(APP_ID)}_Timeout_expired:_event_type_=_TargetStateChanged,_timeout_modifier_type_=_None,_server_task_currentState_=_NavigatingTo,_tar

Any help ?

Monday, October 26, 2015 9:00 AM
  • They ruined me as a start-up company with that error.

My app is also a Silverlight 8.1 app. The error appeared after updating my apps from Silverlight 8.0 version.

Not only that, I had also license problems with all my apps. People that had bought my apps (especially when they were on promotional period) couldn't update them. MS told me to communicate with all my users that had these problems and tell them to contact MS support for refund (some 10k to 20k users). MS obviously was joking with that solution.

Unfortunately, MS does not seem trustworthy to have a mobile platform or have business with companies. They do not take any responsibility on anything.

Friday, November 6, 2015 2:13 AM
  • We reviewed your app *** but found some problems. Please remedy the failures in our report and resubmit the updated app. If you don't update your app by Sat, 21 Nov 2015 00:00:00 GMT we'll need to unpublish it. 

You’ll need your Microsoft account info to access this report. 

Thank you, 
    The Windows Store Team 

Wow Microsoft, you can not tell me what the problem is, but now you unpublish my app because of it.

Thanks, last App I developed on this platform. 

Friday, November 6, 2015 8:50 AM
  • Mystim, contact Microsoft support! I had the exact same problem and I couldn't solve it then when I contacted MS they said that it was their mistake. All my apps got unpublished for some reason, took them 1 day to put them back in the store. They only said, don't worry it was our mistake and you don't need to do anything.

Hope you have the same issue!

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/community/windows-app-support

then click on some of the certification links. I used the email to communicate with them didn't try the chat.

Good luck my friend!

Friday, November 6, 2015 10:16 AM
  • I'm also getting a lot of these in my crash reports. But only for 1 app, and that's the only app that I published from the old dashboard and then updated from the new dashboard. The other ones that I published from the old dashboard but have not updated from the new dashboard doesn't have these crashes. Also the one that I published from the new dashboard doesn't have these crashes...  Could be coincident, I don't know, but still...

All the apps are basic xaml apps.. no background tasks or anything fancy.

• Proposed as answer by Garima Bhasin Monday, June 5, 2017 11:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Garima Bhasin Monday, June 5, 2017 11:21 AM
    Friday, November 6, 2015 10:20 AM
  • Just an update with a question: since November the 6th, my crashes have started going down and have been replaced by Hangs instead. As of November 7th, I have 0 crashes reported. Instead, everything is reported as Hangs. Can anyone else confirm this? You can see this under App Overview in the graph under the Total crashes and events heading.

It's probably of no use to us, but I thought maybe it's useful for MS if they want to track down the problem?

Monday, November 16, 2015 10:51 AM
  • Hi Aria2014,

I can confirm. Same thing here, the crashes are replaced by Hangs.

Monday, November 16, 2015 12:07 PM
  • Yep, seems like that's the case here also.
    Monday, November 16, 2015 12:55 PM
  • I also see the same kind of crashes/hangs since introduction of the new dashboard, but only for the WP version of the app (WP81 to be precise). I can also confirm that since about three weeks, the same errors occur, but are now filed as "hang" instead of "crash".

What's interesting is that since a short time, if you now scroll down to failure logs, you won't see those hangs. You first have to select "system-level crash", only then you will see them. This makes me think that these are actually hangs/crashes in the OS and not really related to the app. If that is the case, then it is very annoying that they keep flooding our bug statistics. The health report in app overview looks horrible all the time and I never know if I have "real" bugs in my app, because they are hidden beneith all those "system-level crashes". I always have to to to the detail report, scrool way down and find out if real bugs are occuring.

It would be great if someone from MS could shed some light on what this all means. If these are really OS crashes, then they should be removed also from the overview and diagrams. The statistics are hardly usable right now.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 7:56 PM
  • I completely agree with you Lukas!

Microsoft needs to shed some light on this mess.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:59 PM
  • This platform does not deserve any attention from developers. My well developed app with all sort of exception handling gets loads of these bullshit EM_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_DEADA444 and SICK_APPLICATION_DEADA444 exceptions. The report shows "Windows Desktop" as source, while I only have a SL8.1 app published. From that only imagine the quality of this platform. This platform will be dead soon, no doubt on that.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:26 PM
  • I have the same problem. Any news?
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:27 PM
  • I think the news regarding solutions to problems on WP 8.1 messages will be gone.I have such a problem was when the translation application on WP SL 8.1.After you migrate the application on Win10 UWP and the problem disappeared.

Users on WP 8.1 still observe this problem but no solution:(

Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:02 AM