none
UWP vs UAP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

It is my first post here, so I hope Im in a good thread/topic.

I'm currently writing a bachelor thesis about Windows 10 app development. I watched some videos (including MVA) and read some posts, but I'm still pretty confused about UWP and UAP. Can somebody write down the main difference between these two terms please?

I appreciate any explanation.

Thanks.

Friday, January 15, 2016 10:16 AM

Answers

• There's no need for confusion: UAP and UWP are the same thing. When the platform was announced here it was called 'UAP', and the browser was called 'Spartan'. All related Visual Studio 2015 templates had 'uap' in their name. 

The platform -and all Visual Studio templates- were later renamed to 'UWP' (maybe to make a distinction with Apple's 'Universal App' concept).

Friday, January 15, 2016 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

my definitions are:

UWP:

Universal Windows Platform. This is the Windows 10 ecosystem. You write one app and you are able to deploy it to Desktop, Tablet, Phone, XBox, IoT, etc.

UAP:

I don't know. I know UWA - Universal Windows App from the Windows 8 ecosystem. Maybe this is just another name for MetroUI or  ModernUI. It could be also related to the former WinJS.

I have no idea if this is 100% correct. Let's see. :)

Kind regards, Tobi

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Friday, January 15, 2016 11:04 AM
  • Hi and thanks for reply.
    Yes, I get what UWP is.
    I know that UAP stands for Universal App Platform and that's when I get messy. Are there 2 platforms for Windows 10 applications? (I don't think so).
    It is still unclear for me, hopefully somebody can put some light into this.

Have a great day Tobi :)

Friday, January 15, 2016 11:25 AM
  • There's no need for confusion: UAP and UWP are the same thing. When the platform was announced here it was called 'UAP', and the browser was called 'Spartan'. All related Visual Studio 2015 templates had 'uap' in their name. 

The platform -and all Visual Studio templates- were later renamed to 'UWP' (maybe to make a distinction with Apple's 'Universal App' concept).

Friday, January 15, 2016 12:08 PM
  • Hi Diederik,

Thanks for your answer, in fact I was hoping for such an answer. It makes sense now, I will mark your reply as an answer. Maybe I wouldn't get confused if I participated Windows 10 insider preview. Anyways this way it is clear to me.

Have a nice day.

Friday, January 15, 2016 12:22 PM