Controling the music playback of Xbox Music on Windows Phone 8.1/Universal App RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

I'm trying to write a simple app for Microsoft Band to control the music that I'm playing on my Windows Phone through the Xbox Music application. I basically want to get some information about the currently playing song (name, artist and album) as well as have the ability to Play/Pause and skip songs.

I know that this could be done with the Microsoft.Xna.Framework, but this is supported only for Silverlight Windows Phone apps and the Microsoft Band SDK does not run on that.

I have tried tried using the MonoGame framework, which is an open source implementation of the Xna.Framework, but that is not working for me as well.

So, does anyone know how can you get the currently playing song info and control it in Windows Phone 8.1/Universal App?

Thank you in advance.

Sunday, June 21, 2015 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm not sure if this will work but theoretically you should be able to register for various SystemMediaTransportControls events and handle them in your app. That said I'm not entirely sure if registering for these controls will move the focus of the currently playing app to your app. So, I would recommend that you give this a try but I'm not sure that it will work exactly as you would like.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Monday, June 22, 2015 8:43 PM
  • Hello,

The band development team is watching the microsoft-band tag on stackoverflow.com.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 7:19 PM