Cannot access Windows 8 dashboard - login asks for verification everytime RRS feed

• Question

• This HAS to be a bug, it's too stupid to be designed this way...

• Everytime I login to the windows 8 dashboard, it asks for a verification code send to my cell phone, even though I have the correct password and I've alrady logged in the account probably a hundred times.
      • Since I moved to another country, it's impossible for me to receive text messages sent to my previous cell phone number. However, some genius in the Windows Live team decided that the security info can only be deleted after a month.

Now that means there is no possible way to access my Windows 8 dashboard for 30 days??? We have apps that are ready to be uploaded to the store, we also like to monitor our app usage. Can somebody from Microsoft fix this?

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:54 PM

Answers

• If you add your PC as a trusted PC (you need Windows Essentials for that), you won't be asked for the verification code anymore.
    • Proposed as answer by BasRP Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by mark_1h Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:59 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:48 PM

All replies

• Kayson,

This is by design. If a login attempt is made from a PC that has never been used before the security verification kicks in. If you use that PC on a regular basis you can add it as a Trusted PC by going to login.live.com and adding it there.

The 30 day lockout is to protect your developer account from unauthorized access. Since you are using this Microsoft Account for your developer account you should keep your contact information up to date to avoid being locked out in the future.

-Eric

• Proposed as answer by BasRP Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:11 PM
  • This is one of the most ridiculous design I've seen so far. A password is already enough to verify the identify of a user. I have multiple domain names, multiple web hostings, email administration systems, all require only a single login id and password.

This is like Microsoft discouraging people to develop on their platform, and you guys never listen to what developers have complained and asked.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:29 PM
  • I've found this pretty annoying. I've had to do validation 8 times in the last 7 days - and I have only been on two computers. I don't understand why I'm asked every time even on my main machine.. And today, the text messaging nor email validation are actually coming through - I had to use the voice call option. This needs to be improved - it is going to eat through my text messages, and is overly unnecessary. 

SmartyPantsCoding.com

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:03 PM
  • If you add your PC as a trusted PC (you need Windows Essentials for that), you won't be asked for the verification code anymore.
    • Proposed as answer by BasRP Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by mark_1h Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:59 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:48 PM
  • I agree, I have a Windows Phone Develop account as well and I don't need to do this. There is no consistency with these developer "portals" at all. Microsoft is really really really not making developers want to write for their platforms. 
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:04 PM
  • That's right, there's no consistency across Microsoft's development platforms. If Microsoft wants to secure access to admin features, the same argument should goes to Windows Phone, Windows Azure, the Ad SDK etc. as well. The verification is a perfect example of a redundant security measure that adds significant inconvenience but little security in practice.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:41 PM
  • The problem is, the "Trusted PC" stuff works only in Internet Explorer. I'm using Firefox as my main browser and just have to launch IE to access the dashboard. Even worse, on my Win 7 PC I would need IE10 to make the dashboard work properly, but that doesn't even exist yet.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:34 PM
  • The problem is, the "Trusted PC" stuff works only in Internet Explorer. I'm using Firefox as my main browser and just have to launch IE to access the dashboard. Even worse, on my Win 7 PC I would need IE10 to make the dashboard work properly, but that doesn't even exist yet.

The dashboard works just fine on IE9 on my W7 pc. What exactly isn't working for you?
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:07 AM

The dashboard works just fine on IE9 on my W7 pc. What exactly isn't working for you?

You cannot upload screenshots, for example. Also you see the yellow warning at the top, that informs you that the page doesn't work well in IE9.

• Edited by dvlg Friday, October 26, 2012 3:13 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 3:12 AM