The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

windows phone 8.1 transparent tile RRS feed

• Question

• hi to all,

I want my app tile to be transparent,

where can I find any help about this?

I have make my png pic transparent but it seams that it not the only I must do

thanks in advance

Sunday, June 8, 2014 12:07 PM

Answers

• On a Windows Phone Silverlight App (8.0 or 8.1 Silverlight project template) you simply use a tile with a transparent background and that's it. The accent color (on 8.0 and 8.1) or background image (8.1 only) can be seen through the tile.

The setting only matters for universal Apps as those optionally allow you to set a fixed background color to be used (which is what the original article talked about).

Or do you have any issues when simplying setting your tile-image to be that specific PNG?

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 11:29 AM

All replies

• I have read this but I cannot find the "setting in your package.appxmanifest file"
    Sunday, June 8, 2014 12:56 PM
  • I dont think you will see that setting for a windows phone 8.1 silverlight project.  It looks like it is only for the universal app type because it says the setting in the package.appxmanifest.

update the ‘Background color’ setting in your package.appxmanifest 

I believe if you use a transparent background for the silverlight app it will automatically honor the transparent background

[Do note that if you used a transparent image asset for your tiles in Windows Phone 8.0, (which many did, since this is how you would have achieved a tile that respects the users’ accent color choice), then your tile will automatically support Start Background.]

Sunday, June 8, 2014 1:13 PM
  • and if I cannot see this setting, what I am doing wrong?

as I told before my png pic IS transparent

Sunday, June 8, 2014 1:20 PM
  • What type of app is it?  I mean did you create a universal app which has a windows store and windows phone project with shared code or just a windows phone app?

If it is just a windows phone app I dont think the setting will be there.

Sunday, June 8, 2014 1:45 PM
  • just a windows phone app
    Sunday, June 8, 2014 1:57 PM
  • You have the wmmanifest instead of the package.appxmanifest so I would not expect it to be there
    Sunday, June 8, 2014 2:53 PM
  • so?

can't I?

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:55 AM
  • On a Windows Phone Silverlight App (8.0 or 8.1 Silverlight project template) you simply use a tile with a transparent background and that's it. The accent color (on 8.0 and 8.1) or background image (8.1 only) can be seen through the tile.

The setting only matters for universal Apps as those optionally allow you to set a fixed background color to be used (which is what the original article talked about).

Or do you have any issues when simplying setting your tile-image to be that specific PNG?

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 11:29 AM