Kinect for Windows Runtime update to address issues on Windows 10 1809 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everyone –

Thank you for your patience with the issues with Kinect on the 1809 Windows 10 release.  

We have a new K4W runtime package available via Windows Update for PCs that are on 1809 which resolves these issues.  If you are on 1809 and do not already have the update, you can get it by right clicking on  "WDF KinectSensor Interface 0" in device manager, selecting Update, and then selecting "Search automatically for updated driver software".  The updated version number should be 2.2.1811.10000. 

Please let us know if you have any issues getting this update.  Note, if you are still on an OS version that is earlier than 1809, you will not receive (and do not need) this update.

There is one known issue with this package, which is that Windows 8/8.1 store apps will not work currently with Kinect on Windows 10 1809 even with this update.  We’ll try to provide more information regarding this at a later date.

Please reply back to this thread with any problems installing or using this runtime package.

Bryan

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 10:27 PM

All replies

• When I right click on kinectsensor.inf, "Install" is not an option. The instructions say to "Right click kinectsensor.inf and click Install."

Thursday, November 15, 2018 5:41 PM
  • Hi David -

Did you extract the .zip archive first?  You won't be presented with the install option if you right click on the .inf while it is still inside the zip archive.

Bryan

Thursday, November 15, 2018 7:42 PM
  • Bryan,

Thank you so much for this update.

I am having one issue where my Kinect V2 is restarting while in use every 6 seconds.  I followed the instructions, uninstalled other runtimes, and removed all drivers.  I also tried every single USB port on my motherboard.  Rebooted.  Did every bit of troubleshooting I could.

Friday, November 16, 2018 1:48 AM
  • Hi undrgrndpwrs -

It would be helpful if you could check a few things before we try to trouble shoot this further:

Confirm that KinectService.exe isn't restarting and is the expected version:

1.  Open task manager (right click on the start menu -> Task Manager)

2.  Go to the details tab and see if KinectService.exe is restarting every time the Kinect restarts

3.  Right click on KinectService.exe in the details tab -> Properties -> Details Tab -> Check the "File Version" (should be 2.2.1811.10000)

Confirm that the Kinect driver is the correct version:

1.  Open device manager (right click on the start menu -> Device manager)

2.  Expand "Kinect sensor devices"

3.  Right click on "WDF KinectSensor Interface 0" -> Properties -> Driver Tab -> Check the "Driver Version" (should be  2.2.1811.10000)

Bryan

Friday, November 16, 2018 2:38 AM
  • Bryan,

Thank you again.  I was able to verify that KinectService.exe does not restart when the Kinect reboots.  I was also able to verify that KinectService.exe is version 2.2.1811.10000, as is WDF KinectSensor Interface 0.

Friday, November 16, 2018 3:15 AM
  • undrgrndpwrs -

Did Kinect work on this machine with a previous OS/K4W Runtime version?

What software are you running to test the Kinect, and what are you seeing actually happen when you run it (i.e. do you see the lights on the front of the Kinect come on and the application that you're using get frames for a few seconds before it restarts, or something else)? 

One thing to try would be to reset the K4W adapter by disconnecting it entirely from USB and DC power and then reconnecting.

Also, if you haven't already, make sure that all other drivers/firmware on your system are up to date.

Bryan

Friday, November 16, 2018 3:34 AM
  • Kinect worked on this machine with last version tried 1803, no issues.

I've tested only the Camera and 3D Scan apps for sanity.  When the apps run, all lights appear on the front of Kinect.  When the feed ends, all three lights turn off.  During this time, the WDF KinectSensor Interface 0 does not remove and then reappear in Device Manager.

Does Kinect record any logs that I could copy and paste?

Friday, November 16, 2018 3:57 AM
  • "There is one known issue with this package, which is that Windows 8/8.1 store apps will not work currently with Kinect on Windows 10 1809 even with this update."

Both the Camera and 3D Scan apps would be considered windows store apps. Try a Win32 app like Google Hangouts in Chrome or the desktop version of Skype.

Friday, November 16, 2018 7:02 AM
  • The issue with the 2.2.1811 runtime on Windows 10 1809 is specific to Windows 8/8.1 apps, and will result in the application not finding the Kinect rather than the behavior described by undrgrndpwrs.

Camera and 3D Scan are both UWP apps and should work fine with 2.2.1811.

Bryan

Friday, November 16, 2018 5:29 PM
  • so far so good looks like its working for me thank you
    Friday, November 16, 2018 6:02 PM
  • Here it's still not working. It was fine with windows 1803, then that was the restart kinect server error even when not using any cameras and now with this new update, driver and service version checked to be the latest one, and it just work for about 5 seconds and disconect. The server is not restarting, only the kinect is powering off and on again. One thing to note is that the drivers for my intel extensible host controller was updated with windows 1809 and I can't revert to the same driver used on version 1803. Maybe it's the problem. Those drivers are provided by microsoft and I can't get it on anywhere else.
    Sunday, November 18, 2018 10:55 AM
  • This did fix the initial issue of the Kinect continuously disconnected and reconnected every few seconds. However, Windows Hello thru the Kinect is not working for me anymore. 
    Sunday, November 18, 2018 8:20 PM
  • @brythi if you share with us what is at the root of this problem (and how the new driver is attempting to fix it) we may be able to test/troubleshoot in a more targeted fashion for you to help solve this for good. (and hope Kinect v4 whenever that comes out learns from it)

What sypmtoms are directly related?
    What hardware/driver is at the cause? USB?
    How does KinectService.exe relate to all this?

Brekel

Monday, November 19, 2018 10:59 AM
  • Erllun -

Would you mind filing feedback via the Feedback Hub from the machine that you are seeing the issue on?

A few things that will help make the feedback as useful as possible:

1.  Please check that your machine is configured to send full diagnostics:  Settings App->Privacy->Diagnostics & Feedback (from side bar) ->Diagnostic data -> Full.

2.  When filing the feedback, under "category" please select Apps -> Kinect for Windows Runtime v2.2_1811.

3.  As soon as you file feedback, on the page with your submission, click on "share" to get a URL beginning with http://aka.ms and share the URL with me.

Thanks.

Bryan

Monday, November 19, 2018 11:55 PM
  • undrgrndpwrs -

Would you mind filing feedback via the Feedback Hub from the machine that you are seeing the issue on?

A few things that will help make the feedback as useful as possible:

1.  Please check that your machine is configured to send full diagnostics:  Settings App->Privacy->Diagnostics & Feedback (from side bar) ->Diagnostic data -> Full.

2.  When filing the feedback, under "category" please select Apps -> Kinect for Windows Runtime v2.2_1811.

3.  As soon as you file feedback, on the page with your submission, click on "share" to get a URL beginning with http://aka.ms and share the URL with me.

Thanks.

Bryan

Monday, November 19, 2018 11:55 PM
  • ChGord -

Are other Kinect scenarios working for you after the update?  For example, does the Kinect work with the "Camera" or "3D Scan" apps?

Bryan

Monday, November 19, 2018 11:57 PM
  • Brekel -

The new driver addresses an issue where KinectService.exe could get stuck a restart loop on Win 10 1809 resulting the Kinect device not being usable.

Bryan

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 12:09 AM
  • Thanks Bryan,

Good to know that that is the main symptom to look out for, that will certainly help advising my clients.

Btw, did a fresh 1809 install on a Gigabyte Brix here (similar to Intel NUC).

Having just the SDK installed caused KinectService.exe restarting issue, installing the driver from the top post fixed it.

Brekel

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 12:48 PM
  • I got it to work again!! I have a laptop with the intel usb drivers from windows 10 1803 and used it to export the drivers, installed it on my desktop using the 1809 update and then used the solution on this page 
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7a9f139d-85fe-4e68-9ad2-5456f8e1f173/kinect-v2-disconnects-and-reconnects-on-recent-intel-chips-solution?forum=kinectv2sdk
    It started to work after I disable and reenable the microphone array.

• Edited by erllun Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:24 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:20 PM
  • Updated driver is working for me.

I have tried a couple of time with Camera and Skype UWP app, just once the login with Windows Hello.

Edit: nevertheless the device is working, the Control Panel reliability monitor logs the following spurious fault upon any computer boot:

Nome evento problema: CameraStartupFailureEvent
    Driver Version: unknown
    Failure Reason: InitializeMediaCaptureFailed
    HRESULT: 0xc00d36b2
    Versione SO: 10.0.17763.2.0.0.256.48
    ID impostazioni locali: 1040

• Edited by Scasc Thursday, November 22, 2018 7:56 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2018 7:52 PM
  • Edit: First it didn't work with 1803 but the update to 1809 did the job together with this kinect driver update!
    • Edited by Joooki Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:06 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 7:48 PM
  • I have the same problem as undrgrndpwrs, this is my feedback report:
    https://aka.ms/AA3flfp
    Friday, December 7, 2018 1:27 PM
  • Cześć wszystkim -

Dziękujemy za problemy z systemem Windows 10 1809.  

Mamy nowy pakiet runtime K4W dostępny przez Windows Update dla komputerów PC z 1809 roku, który rozwiązuje te problemy. Jeśli korzystasz z interfejsu, możesz skorzystać z opcji "WDF KinectSensor Interface 0" w menedżerze urządzeń, "Aktualizowanie, czyszczenie". Aktuowany numer wersji powinien wynosić 2.2.1811.10000. 

Daj nam znać, jeśli masz problemy z tą odpowiedzią. Uwaga: Jeśli tak, to nie otrzymasz (i nie pakiet) tej aktualizacji.

Jest jeden znany problem z tym pakietem, który polega na tym, że aplikacje Sklep Windows 8 / 8.1 nie można działały z Kinect na Windows 10 1809 właśnie z tą aktualizacją. Postaramy się dowiedzieć więcej na ten temat.

Odpowiedz na ten wątek, napotykając podczas instalacji lub instalacji na instalacji.

Bryan

Sunday, December 9, 2018 12:24 PM
  • Cześć wszystkim -

Dziękujemy za problemy z systemem Windows 10 1809.  

Mamy nowy pakiet runtime K4W dostępny przez Windows Update dla komputerów PC z 1809 roku, który rozwiązuje te problemy. Jeśli korzystasz z interfejsu, możesz skorzystać z opcji "WDF KinectSensor Interface 0" w menedżerze urządzeń, "Aktualizowanie, czyszczenie". Aktuowany numer wersji powinien chcieć odebić 2.2.1811.10000. 

Daj nam znać, jeśli masz problemy z tą odpowiedzią. Uwaga: na tak otrzymasz (i nie pakiet) tej aktualizacji.

Jest jeden znany problem z tym pakietem, który polega na tym, że aplikacje Sklep Windows 8 / 8.1 nie można działały z Kinect na Windows 10 1809 właśnie z tą aktualizacją. Postaramy się zachować więcej na ten temat.

Odpowiedz na ten wątek, napotykając podczas instalacji lub instalacji na instalacji.

Bryan

Sunday, December 9, 2018 12:24 PM
  • So, as an interesting data point that I'm not sure what to make of.  I checked and my device had already been updated to the new version, as had the service.  The original, obvious issue of the continual re-install/KincectService.exe crashing seemed to be resolved.

However, what I've been primarily using my Kinect for is face recognition unlock. Whenever I would restart the wizard, it would crash, and I would get camera timeout events in the app log.

I tried the disable/re-enable mic array, that had no effect.

I did not try the reg key for Intel power states.

Eventually, I noticed that the reinstall loop still seemed to be happening to me, but it had now become a longer cycle thing, instead of being every few seconds, it seemed to be more like a minute or two.

On a whim, I decided to try the camera app. The Kinect camera worked here, which I found surprising. I then decided to try setting up face recognition again, since the camera had successfully started and this time, to my surprise, it worked. And it appears to be still working for now. I have not yet rebooted, I will do that after I finish this write up, as I'm curious to see if it will work still after the reboot.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 1:22 PM
  • I've found the solution to my kinect's 6sec interval connect->disconnect -issue!
    The answer was in another similar thread in the forums. It had to do with privacy settings for the microphone (win 10). Other apps have to be allowed access to the microphone.

See this thread posted by Mark_C_M, Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:42 PM:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a2af9bf2-8d52-4406-98ef-0ae21ab25016/kinect-v2-freezing-then-restarting-repeatedly-within-a-few-seconds-even-with-samples?forum=kinectv2sdk

Saturday, December 15, 2018 10:59 PM
  • I am having the same issue
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019 10:21 PM
  • My sd kit runs all test fine until it reaches color and depth, tried it on two win10 machines same results. What could be causing this issue?
    • Edited by nonp95 Wednesday, January 2, 2019 10:24 PM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019 10:23 PM
  • nonp95 -

What exactly are the symptoms you're seeing and what OS/driver versions are installed on each of the machine's you're trying this on?

Bryan

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 11:55 PM
  • Thank you Bryan! We desparetely need Kinect to work in our Windows 8.1 store app. Any news on this issue?
    Friday, January 11, 2019 11:03 AM
  • Thank you Bryan! We desparetely need Kinect to work in our Windows 8.1 store app. Any news on this issue?
    Same issue here. We have a store app using the Kinect Preview Library for Windows Store 8.1 Platform. We have had to tell customers to downgrade or turn off windows updates to avoid the issue but can't keep that up. We are currently locked into Windows Store 8.1 due to non feature parity with newer SDK and cannot produce a UWP build.

Is there a timeline for a patch that would address this known issue for Windows Store 8.1 Platform apps?
    Monday, January 14, 2019 2:19 PM
  • The issue is still not resolved in that version. I just reported the problem through the feedback hub. The camera will continue to display nothing (no depth frames received from kinect error)
    Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:51 PM
  • Try this

https://skarredghost.com/2018/03/01/fix-kinect-v2-not-working-windows-10-creators-update/

Works for me

Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:49 AM
  • Still not working for me, I've posted on multiple threads and not a singe response from anyone with Microsoft. I've attempted all the trouble shooting steps. I finally got the latest driver installed but now it wont even turn on at all and shows a code 10 error in device manager. I've verified the kinect works on a different computer and my Xbox One. I've tried contacting Microsoft support but that's a joke. 
    Friday, March 22, 2019 8:39 AM
  • hi after the last windows update my kinect is stuck in a boot loop when i try to use it how would i go about fixing it?or finding to issue
    Friday, April 12, 2019 9:32 PM
  • i have windows home 1803 but it says my drivers are up to date i tried redownloading program and its still a issue it works fine when i hooked it to my xbox but its still a issue on my pc

also it says my driver is 2.2.1610.17001 is there a way for me to go get the new one just going to device manager says that one is up to date

• Edited by bschenck Friday, April 19, 2019 1:53 AM
    Friday, April 19, 2019 1:49 AM
  • so what happens if i just figured out how to install the new driver restart my computer then open kinect studio and the issue is still going on i know it works it all started with the windows update i just did i have windows home 1803 plz help im trying really hard to get it fixed
    Friday, April 19, 2019 2:23 AM
  • I finally got it working without periodic shutdowns! I'll list all my settings and steps so hopefully it helps other people with the same problem:

I'm running Windows 10, version 1803 (Oct 2018 update).

1. Install Runtime 2.2.1811

I downloaded "Kinect for Windows Runtime 2.2.1811" at this location: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=57578 , unzipped it, then ran KinectRuntime-x64.msi from that folder.

2. Update driver to 2.2.1811.10000

Typed "Device Manager" into Start Search, and found Kinect Sensor Devices > KinectSensor Interface. Right-click on it, select "Update driver" and "automatically search for update software". After it's done, right-click and select Properties > Driver. Make sure Driver Version is 2.2.1811.10000

3. Enable Recording Device

Went to Control Panel > Sound > Recording Tab > Xbox NUI Sensor Microphone, right-click and enable it (Doesn't have to be default, it just needs to be enabled. You can also turn levels down to 0 in its properties)

4. Allow app access to mic

Went to Settings > Microphone > Turn "Allow apps to access your microphone" on. (I subsequently disabled access to all individual apps, but just the main access needs to be on).

5. My Kinect now runs continuously without shutdowns!

This is an annoying bug that requires the attention of the folks at Microsoft. Users shouldn't have to go through all these loops and caveats to get their hardware working like it used to.

• Edited by Marquizzo Thursday, May 2, 2019 7:21 PM Bunch of JavaScript got added on for some reason.
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 7:20 PM
  • After upgrading to 1809, I also encountered constant reboots. Everything worked exactly for 5 seconds and turned off, and it continues to do this endlessly.
    I am almost sure that the problem in the microphone, but unfortunately I can’t turn it on in the settings because sound driver is not installed, and I have no idea why.

I use Kinect Studio 2.0 with updated runtime, WDF KinectSensor Interface is 2.2.1811.10000 same as KinectService.exebut I have Xbox NUI Sensor (without driver, tried to update - does not find anything) in Other devices and nothing for kinect in Sound.

Maybe someone knows if I can manually install the sound driver for kinect? And if so where can i get it?

Thanks.

Saturday, May 11, 2019 1:08 AM
  • Hi, on my side I also had to check 'Listen to this device' in the audio settings to make it work. Hope it can help someone else!
    Monday, June 10, 2019 2:09 AM
  • Unfortunately for me it doesn't work.. this issue is driving me crazy!

I tried every solution I read on internet.. I also read this forum a multiple time but nothing seems to work.

My Kinect keeps turning off and on and is really frustrating 

Friday, July 5, 2019 11:49 PM
  • The Kinect turn on and off matter still present sometime even in version 1903. (It was the KinectService.exe that was unstable, no matter if the Kinect itself was plugged in or not. One can look in Task Manager to see how it flickers.) However a simple reboot has so far fixed it.

Creating a new post on the Windows 8.1 Store apps matter. This issue still waits for a solution. Kinect won't turn on with Microsoft 8.1 Store apps.

Monday, July 15, 2019 9:39 AM
  • I have exact the same trouble. Kinect One doesn't work below Windows 10 in version 1903.

First I guess, the Kinect One is defect. Than I have tested it with an another Kinect One. In fact is the windows update to 1903 the problem. I would like to know:

Is Microsoft working on a solution? Is there a time plan?  An will the Kinect one driver crashed again, at the next window update? 

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:24 PM
  • Still Having Connection issues on Win 10 1903 with K4W.

Driver is 2.2.1811.100000.

Tried multiple solutions fron this forum already, sadly no dice

Acer VX15, 1050ti, 16Gb RAM
    Intel USB 3.0  eXtensible Host Controller
    High-performance is on CPU min state 100%, Plugged both laptop and Kinect Hub
    Using the High performance GPU (All kinect apps), no difference but it's on.
    Kinect Mic is on, and listening shows that its working.
    Plugged to the wall, no surge protectors in-between (no difference if there is tho)
    All windows updates applied (features etc.)
    Device turns on and off when trying to verify the Depth and Color Streams using the Configuration Viewer.
    Everything else is green, good to go (USB Controller Yellow warning, mic works tho)

Trying to use the Kinect as a webcam causes the device to disconnect and connect again as well.

Tried everytthing form the list and forums, Kinect still not working properly.
    Offering big fruit and flower basket for any help with the issue.

Cheers

• Edited by SHERmaan_RTB Sunday, August 4, 2019 12:46 PM Added another test result
    Sunday, August 4, 2019 12:42 PM