none
Downloadable Content in UWP Apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Everyone,

I've been thinking about developing a UWP app which would offer in-app purchases that add new content, e.g. an additional set of images. Ideally, eventually there'd be a lot of content available, so I'd like to offer the add-ons as downloadable content, rather than bundling all of the content in with the app package and "unlocking" it with in-app purchases.

It looks like downloadable content is a work-in-progress feature for UWP apps, I see it's briefly mentioned in the in-app purchase documentation:

And has been rumoured to be on the way here.

Does anyone know whether this feature is actually on it's way and when we might be able to make use of it? Is there a way to become a member of the "restricted set of developers" mentioned in the in-app purchase documentation that may already have access?

Any advice would be much appreciated, I don't want to start working on a different method if downloadable content is on it's way!

Many thanks,
    Dan

• Moved by Barry Wang Monday, August 29, 2016 1:46 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

As far as I known, only large game publishers for Xbox can use DLC’s at this time (for example, a large game publisher might use DLC’s to make additional game levels available for download within their game). I unfortunately do not have any visibility into if or when DLC’s might be made available more broadly to other developers. Therefore it is better for you to  follow the traditional way (define your product in the dashboard and write code in your app to determine whether the user has a license to use the feature that is represented by the IAP) and wait for the news about the DLC.

Best Regards,

Neal Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by DanLambey Wednesday, August 31, 2016 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 4:31 AM

All replies

• Hi DanlamBey,

Since your case is dev center relative, we well help you move the case to Submitting and Publishing app forum. 

Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards, Sunteen Wu

Monday, August 29, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Hi Dan,

As far as I known, only large game publishers for Xbox can use DLC’s at this time (for example, a large game publisher might use DLC’s to make additional game levels available for download within their game). I unfortunately do not have any visibility into if or when DLC’s might be made available more broadly to other developers. Therefore it is better for you to  follow the traditional way (define your product in the dashboard and write code in your app to determine whether the user has a license to use the feature that is represented by the IAP) and wait for the news about the DLC.

Best Regards,

Neal Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by DanLambey Wednesday, August 31, 2016 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 4:31 AM
  • Is there any update on this subject?  I'm looking to include DLC in the game I'm publishing, but I cannot find any documentation on how to do that.
    Tuesday, October 1, 2019 1:35 PM