none
Publish my windows store app, but not until I'm 18? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am about finished with my first Windows Store app :-) and I went to get a developer account so I can publish the app (I am even willing to let go of $50 for initially publishing a free app), and it said "You must be 18 years old to have a Windows Store developer account." :-( It said this because I am 17, but I want to clarify here. Are you saying that everyone under 18 is completely locked out of app sharing? Since the Windows Store is the only means of distribution, it is surprisingly inaccessible. I am not even submitting a paid app yet, so I don't even need to worry about direct bank deposits for getting paid. I'm a bit lucky because my birthday is only 6 months away, but what if there are 15 or 16 year-olds that want to release their app to the world?

I think you should have a type of youth account or something. For example, (if you are under 18 only) it would be free to create, and you can only publish free apps. This seems like the only truly fair way to make up for the monopolistic distribution, not to mention help the entire Windows 8 app ecosystem.

I seriously don't know what problem there would be with people under 18 publishing their apps. I even work at my community college as a math tutor! Could the restriction be lowered to 16 years old?

Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:50 AM

Answers

• Hello Alex,

We appreciate your feedback.

18 is the age at which contracts are legally binding so this is unlikely to change unless the laws are changed to allow individuals under 18 to enter into contracts.

We congratulate you on your many accomplishments and look forward to you publishing your first app in 6 months!

-Eric

• Marked as answer by Alex Kven Monday, November 26, 2012 4:58 AM
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 2:27 AM

All replies

• Hello Alex,

We appreciate your feedback.

18 is the age at which contracts are legally binding so this is unlikely to change unless the laws are changed to allow individuals under 18 to enter into contracts.

We congratulate you on your many accomplishments and look forward to you publishing your first app in 6 months!

-Eric

• Marked as answer by Alex Kven Monday, November 26, 2012 4:58 AM
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Ok. Exactly what contracts are required to create an account?
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Hi
    Alex i support your idea, I also have the same problem spent some time making a app but after all when I goto submit it say below 18 cannot, but it is understandable.
    Pasindu
    Friday, December 7, 2012 9:22 PM
  • I know, right? I was hoping I could get in through dreamspark, but there still is the same age requirement. This is stupid, how freaking hard is it to let people under 18 create accounts that can only upload free apps or something? Why are there contracts involved? Not every developer wants to sell their apps, because - wait for it - not every developer is an adult. It is a bit of an unfair advantage, especially because the store is the monopoly here. There is literally no choice for us except to wait until we're 18.

Listen, I love Windows 8 and the new app platform, but this requirement is ridiculous, and it needs to get fixed for the good of the platform. Already, only 33% of developers are even willing to develop Windows 8 apps, whereas there are some 16 and 17 year-olds (like ME) that are shunned out of the process. This is unacceptable.

• Proposed as answer by Alex App Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alex App Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:55 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

I guess not all developers need be over the age of 18. But in order to publish an App you need to be 18 years of age. What you could do is have your parent or legal guardian publish the App for you. Have them create a developer account and use their own credit card to validate the account. This would be the fastest way for you to publish your App. If not you just have to wait 6 months.

Good Luck!

• Proposed as answer by Alex App Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alex App Friday, December 28, 2012 11:33 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Listen, I love Windows 8 and the new app platform, but this requirement is ridiculous, and it needs to get fixed for the good of the platform. Already, only 33% of developers are even willing to develop Windows 8 apps, whereas there are some 16 and 17 year-olds (like ME) that are shunned out of the process. This is unacceptable.

Alex, I understand your feelings on this, but this is absolutely the same on any other platform.  It is also the same for any legal aspect of starting a business.  When you start selling or distributing applications through the Windows store, or via the App Store, or Play... you are exposing not only yourself, but the respective operators of those systems, to all sorts of liability and in order to clearly define rights and responsibilities, contracts are required.  For example, you have to sign a contract that in part attests to the fact that you understand and agree that you won't use your apps as a means of doing or promoting anything illegal.  You also attest that you won't rampantly steal content that belongs to others, etc.

The problem is that any such contract you sign does not carry the weight of law; under the law, you cannot enter into a contract and have that contract be binding.  Any 'promise' you make under such a contract is thus automatically void and the contract provides no protection at all to the other party arising out of any action you could potentially take.  Not only that, it exposes them to potential liability arising out of allowing a minor to participate in contractually obligated proceedings knowing those proceedings are null and void.

You would not be able to open a bank account or obtain a credit card without the assistance of a parent or guardian.  This is no different.

The easy answer, as has been suggested already, is to have your parent or guardian sign up for a developer account and sign any necessary contracts, and then develop away.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Hi eric, I am in the same situation as Alex only I would have to wait 4 full years before I can publish applications to the store, My dad is a developer and is ready to take responsibility for the applications I publish. I tried using his Microsoft account (with his consent) to apply but I can't use my dreamspark account with his microsoft account.. what can I do?
    Sunday, January 25, 2015 3:20 PM
  • I agree with Alex.

First, when i have a dreamsaprk account i am allowed to publish apps for free. Wow, that well! But i am not over 18 years old. Not very well.

But why can Microsoft not connect the child-Account with the parents account like: "Before you publish an app, your parents must accepts these license-terms!". And than the parents can get a link where they can click "Yes" or "No". So easy.

And i think it is very important to allow younger people to publish there apps. For example, in gErmany i can drink [but of course i do not] drink beer or alocohol and nobody cares about it, or i can try to get a drivers-license or an own credid-card. But publishing an app - impossible.

That why open plattforms are developing much better :(

© 2015 Thomas Roskop

Germany // Deutschland

Sunday, January 25, 2015 3:33 PM