The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Windows Phone 8.1 vs Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am starting work on converting all my apps (Windows Store and Windows Phone) to Universal Apps. Because all my Windows Phone apps were originally written with Windows Phone 7 using Silverlight, there are a lot of changes I need to make and get used to (I never realized how different Silverlight was!). Something that I would like to have (or think should be available) is a list of some of the most common differences between Silverlight and Windows Runtime for Windows Phone. I think that this will encourage, and make it much easier, for people to update their Windows Phone 7 apps to Windows Phone 8.1 (and possibly Universal Apps). I also think that the MSDN documentation should be a little bit clearer, or more direct, on stating what classes are for use in only one or the other. I have had several scenarios already in which I became very frustrated trying to do something, only to find out in the end that I had to use a completely different technique or class. This is just a topic I wanted to mention, so if anyone knows of a good place to view the common differences, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

• Moved by Jamles Hez Monday, July 21, 2014 9:05 AM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:06 PM

All replies