The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Web View issue ms-appdata vs ms-appx-web RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In our UWP app there is a web view which loads a 3D model. The content of the web part includes a html, js, css and a file of type .iv3d. When I load that html like this ms-appdata:///local/models/index.htm from the LocalState folder it loads the model fine. But if I try to put that web code inside our project and call it like this ms-appx-web:///Screens/Test/index.htm it only loads the html file but not the 3D content. The html looks like below.

<script type="text/javascript" src="iv3d.js"></script>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ivstyles.css" />
    </head>

<body onload='view3d=iv.initViewer3d("tree.iv3d",0x777777,null,1.0);view3d.menuOpen=false;view3d.cfgSelZOffset=false;view3d.clrSelection[5]=false?0.5:1;'    >

Any idea why it doesn't work in the second way?

Also if it is not going to work, I think what I'll have to do is copy those files to the LocalState folder at the start and access it from there. Can you please direct me how I can copy some files inside my UWP project to the LocalState folder.

Thank you.

Madhu

Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm sorry to say that I can't reproduce the unexpected behavior you said about the 3D model. I created an HTML file using the code you are given, but I can't see anything in browser or in WebView control in UWP apps. So I can't tell what causes the issue. But I'll answer the second question. 

>>Can you please direct me how I can copy some files inside my UWP project to the LocalState folder.

First you could access the installation folder using Windows.ApplicationModel.Package.Current.InstalledLocation. Then you could use StorageFile.CopyAsync Method to copy the file.
    Here is the code sample that I get a file from the Assets of the installation folder and copy it to the models folder in the local folder.

//get file from installation folder
                string CountriesFile = @"Assets\london.png";
                StorageFolder InstallationFolder = Windows.ApplicationModel.Package.Current.InstalledLocation;
                StorageFile file = await InstallationFolder.GetFileAsync(CountriesFile);

//copy file to local folder
                StorageFolder localFolder = ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder;
                StorageFolder modelfolder= await localFolder.GetFolderAsync("models");
                Debug.WriteLine(modelfolder.Path);
                StorageFile copiedFile = await file.CopyAsync(modelfolder, file.Name, NameCollisionOption.ReplaceExisting);

Besides, we invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!

Best regards,

Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, November 8, 2019 2:57 AM
  • Thank you very much Roy.

When you get a chance please check whether this web page works for you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pj-SazaHFOsWCikIzAd0EfKQ4EV8wApN/view?usp=sharing

Model will open for this (it will take couple of minutes to load)

ms-appdata:///local/models/1/index.htm

But for this only the html loads

ms-appx-web:///Screens/Test/1/index.htm

Thanks,

Madhu

Friday, November 8, 2019 6:25 AM
  • Hi,

I'm here to update my test result. I tried the html, the html shows 100% in its page. But no more things. I tried to open the html in the browser, after the process ring became 100%, it shows there is a 404 error in iv3d.js. 

I suspect when using ms-appx-web to open the htm, it is opened as a file not a website. So that it just shows a static page. Currently you could try to copy it to the local file and access it using ms-appdata:

By the way, We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!

Best regards,

Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, November 11, 2019 10:29 AM