none
Visual Studio Installer - Setup project output file name RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a Windows Forms Project including a Setup/deployment project.

Each time, I finish a new version, I
    - rebuild and create *.msi file for install, fx pgm_7-0.msi - version 7.0
    - save a copy of the project source code

Then I increase all version numbers:
    - Assembly version to 7.1
    - file version to 7.1
    - publish version 7.1 (just in case)
    - setup project version 7.1, upgrade productcode
    - Setup project properties output file name to pgm_7-1.msi

This has worked fine for years - even through the project has lived in VS2008 -> VS2010 -> VS2013 and now VS2017

But as I went from 7.2 to 7.3 /7.4 it still produces a pgm_7-2.msi.

Looks like the output file name hangs in pgm_7-2.msi no matter what I do.

Any explanation ?

mvh  ravnø

Thursday, December 5, 2019 9:51 AM

Answers

• Looks like the configuration was set to Release - but Active was Debug with the wrong output file name.

Problem solved - thanks Dylan

ravnø

• Marked as answer by Ravnø Data Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:55 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi ravnø,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I have tested in my side by creating a simple WinForm app and do some changes both in WinForm App and Setup projects, then change version in Setup project’s properties from 1.0.0 to 7.2.0 and 7.2.0 to 7.3.0, then 7.3.0 to 7.4.0, but it seems works well without any error.

I suggest you could try below steps to troubleshoot:

(1) Update VS 2017 to the latest version from Visual Studio Installer -> find VS 2017 -> Update.

(2) Update Microsoft Visual Studio Installer Project extension to the latest version if it is not(Tools -> Extensions and Updates).

(3) Maybe you could create a new Windows Form project and then check if this time you still meet this issue. If possible, you could upload this simple sample to OneDrive or GitHub with some detailed steps and share the link with us and I will then go to download and test in my side.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 6, 2019 5:17 AM
  • Hi Ravnø,

Sorry to bother you.

According to your description, please try to remove all old files and re-generate them with new version. 

And please go to Tools/Options/Project and Solution/build and run, and set "build out verbosity" to "Diagnostic", then check if new version msi is generated in outlook window when building the project. 

And if possible, you could also share the log here, which could help us analysis this issue better.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, December 9, 2019 6:01 AM
  • Here's the last bit of output:

1>"C:\TaxaPlan_7-4\rdTaxaPlan\rdTaxaPlan.vbproj" (Rebuild;BuiltProjectOutputGroup;BuiltProjectOutputGroupDependencies;DebugSymbolsProjectOutputGroup;DebugSymbolsProjectOutputGroupDependencies;DocumentationProjectOutputGroup;DocumentationProjectOutputGroupDependencies;SatelliteDllsProjectOutputGroup;SatelliteDllsProjectOutputGroupDependencies;SGenFilesOutputGroup;SGenFilesOutputGroupDependencies target) (1) ->
    1>(_DeploymentComputeClickOnceManifestInfo target) ->
    1>  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3996,5): warning MSB3331: Unable to apply publish properties for item "adodb".
    1>
    1>    8 Warning(s)
    1>    0 Error(s)
    1>
    1>Time Elapsed 00:00:10.67
    ------ Starting pre-build validation for project 'SetupTP' ------
    WARNING: Unable to find dependency 'MICROSOFT.VISUALSTUDIO.SHELL.14.0' (Signature='B03F5F7F11D50A3A' Version='14.0.0.0') of assembly 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.Design.dll'
    WARNING: Unable to find dependency 'MICROSOFT.VSDESIGNER' (Signature='B03F5F7F11D50A3A' Version='14.0.0.0') of assembly 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.Design.dll'
    WARNING: Unable to find dependency 'MICROSOFT.VISUALSTUDIO.SHELL.DESIGN' (Signature='B03F5F7F11D50A3A' Version='14.0.0.0') of assembly 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.Design.dll'
    ------ Pre-build validation for project 'SetupTP' completed ------
    2>------ Rebuild All started: Project: SetupTP, Configuration: Debug ------
    Building file 'R:\RD TaxaPlan\MSI\TaxaPlan_7-2-0.msi'...
    WARNING: Build input parameter 'SupportUrl=www.ravno.dk' is not a web url or UNC share.
    WARNING: The target version of the .NET Framework in the project does not match the .NET Framework launch condition version '.NET Framework 4.5'. Update the version of the .NET Framework launch condition to match the target version of the.NET Framework in the Advanced Compile Options Dialog Box (VB) or the Application Page (C#, F#).
    Packaging file 'rdTaxaPlan.exe'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.dll'...
    Packaging file 'dte80a.olb'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.8.0.dll'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.dll'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.DataVisualization.dll'...
    Packaging file 'EnvDTE.dll'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.MSXML.dll'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.8.0.dll'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.Design.dll'...
    Packaging file 'rdTaxaPlan.exe.config'...
    Packaging file 'rd.ico'...
    Packaging file 'stdole.dll'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.dll'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll'...
    Packaging file 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll'...
    ========== Rebuild All: 2 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

A thing, that I wonder about in this very long output:

Several times it keeps track of all previous versions - all the way back to versions developed in VS2010 years back. ??

mvh  ravnø

Monday, December 9, 2019 11:08 AM
  • Hi Racnø,

Thank you for your sharing.

According to this log, it seems that the output file name doesn't been upgraded. Please right-click your setup project, and then you could check it in Build tag

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 8:51 AM
  • Looks like the configuration was set to Release - but Active was Debug with the wrong output file name.

Problem solved - thanks Dylan

ravnø

• Marked as answer by Ravnø Data Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:55 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:55 AM