none
Windows Phone 8.1 unlock for Development RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

How can I unlock my Windows Phone 8.1 (Lumia 630) device for development? Year ago I used "Windows Phone Developer Registration 8.1" app. But now It sais - "Unable to connect to Dev Centre...". I need to support WP 8.1

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 8:26 PM

All replies

• I'm having trouble trying to unlock my windows phone 8.1. After informing the user and password the following error is displayed:

"Error logging into the Windows Phone Dev Center. Check your Microsoft Account credentials and try again."

How do I solve the problem? Thank you very much in advance.

• Edited by Leandro Noceli Friday, March 2, 2018 10:27 PM
    • Merged by Barry Wang Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:26 AM same issue
    Friday, March 2, 2018 10:27 PM
  • Hi LeandroNoceli,

Are you going to unlock the Windows phone for development and register it using Windows phone developer registration tool?

Please first make sure that you have typed the correct account and password. You could try to log in the dev center through browser of the phone.

Make sure the internet is connected and both the computer and phone are in the same network.

Have you tried to restart your phone and register it again?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 5, 2018 8:22 AM
  • First of all, thanks for the feedback.
    Regarding the question, "Have you tried to restart your phone and register it again" has already been done, including the Hard Reset of the handsets.
    I developed an application for Windows Phone 8.1 for use of my employees in my company three years ago, more or less, since then I frequently update it. She is not on the WIndows Store. I install it directly.
    On Friday 23/02/2018, everything was working perfectly, but on Friday 03/03/2018 it is no longer possible to unlock the Windows Phone 8.1 phones and, consequently, it is not possible to perform the installation application.
    In short, it is not possible to register the devices. The account data is correct and has already been tested procedures on two different network connections.
    I do not know what else to do ...

Thank you very much in advance.

Leandro Noceli

Monday, March 5, 2018 12:47 PM
  • I am experienceing the same issue. I assume it's a problem Microsoft. I have tried registering two different windows phone 8 devices on three different machines and I get the same error each time. I was able to successfully register a device on 01/03/2018 but have been unable to since 02/03/2018.
    Monday, March 5, 2018 2:06 PM
  • We want to test our mobile app with a windows 8.1 phone, we already signup for developer's license, status is still pending, can we register a windows phone developer using PhoneReg.exe without waiting for finally decision of our license, we are just going to test it on a single device. Having issues running the PhoneReg.exe on win10, I'm getting " Error logging to windows Phone Dev Centre, please check your Microsoft Account and password and try again".                 
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 6:29 AM
  • Experiencing the same issue. They need to fix their service. Have had this issue in the past, took internal Microsoft action to fix the issue. 
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 3:53 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We are currently investigating. I'll update this thread when I know more.

Thanks,

James 

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 11:57 PM
  • I have the same issue on my Lumia 640
    Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:33 PM
  • James,

Any news on the case?

Thanks,

Leandro Noceli

Friday, March 9, 2018 6:40 PM
  • Looks like MS forgot WP8.1 like a nightmare :((((
    Friday, March 9, 2018 9:18 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We are currently investigating. I'll update this thread when I know more.

Thanks,

James 

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Hi James,

Still no updates?

Yours sincerely,

Monday, March 12, 2018 8:19 PM
  • Hi Alexander,

We continue to investigate. If you feel that you need more frequent updates than what I can post in this forum please feel free to open a support ticket with the Dev Center team. You can do this by going to: http://aka.ms/storesupport. In the drop down on the lower right side of the page select "account setup and management". Then click on the "submit an incident" button. 

That said, as soon as I know more I will continue to post here. 

Thanks,

James

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:45 AM
  • I have exactly same issue with my Lumia 520.
    "Error logging into the Windows Phone Dev Center. Check your Microsoft Account credentials and try again"

I have already tried it with 2 phones on 2 computers. Still same problem. Please fix it asap. Thanks

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:41 PM
  • Same here for a couple of weeks. Wasted time with multiple phones and computers.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 7:00 PM
  • Hi James,

Let me explain. Currently there is no option to register Windows Phone 8.1 devices at Microsoft Dev. It is something like one day people will not been able to login their gmail account and Google will say "we continue to investigate, please hold on for.. week or two". Really such kind of problem is super-urgent and should be fixed in hours even not days. I understand that your company buried Windows Mobile, but keep in mind that a lot of people bought your Windows Phone 8.1 devices, which your company promissed update to Windows 10 Mobile and after says "Sorry but 512 Megs is not enought". And these memories will remain in their heads for a loooong time.

P.S. How I got to this forum.

Step 1. Wait for "USA working hours"

Step 2. Support don't know much about windows 8.1 and forwards you to ->

Step 3. https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/643bdb80-44e2-40d0-801e-979735c60735/windows-phone-81-unlock-for-development?forum=Offtopic No help, but advice ->

Step 4. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdaccount-mdlumia600/windows-phone-81-unlock-for-development/a1d81240-f933-4f4d-9874-c60511850064?tm=1520404664582 ->

Step 5. This forum. But you advice ask some extra support. In Russian-spoken countries we call this "dynamo"

Yours sincerely,

Alexander

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:52 PM
  • ..... It is something like one day people will not been able to login their gmail account and Google will say "we continue to investigate, please hold on for.. week or two". Really such kind of problem is super-urgent and should be fixed in hours even not days. ....

+1

James Dailey, how long you will be fixing this bug? I debugged whats happening during Developer Phone Registration by Fidler and it looks like it fail with contacting server: deviceunlockservice.windowsphone.com

Can you fix it now??

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:42 AM
  • Alex, I have the same issue with my Lumias 1020 and 635.

The apps I already have been using on my phone, suddently since a few days ago, are "dead", uninstall or register your phone says the message.

I think MSFT finally killed these devices, silently disabling any further developer unlocks.

It's a shame and I'm very dissapointed.

Nicolas

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:55 AM
  • Still can't unlock right now, revert all code please ( cwl ).
    • Edited by h7starlight Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:06 AM
    • Proposed as answer by h7starlight Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:46 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:06 AM
  • Still can't unlock right now, revert all code please ( cwl ).
    It is still not working for me too. What a lames are working for a Microsoft? They cannot even fix it after 1 week.....
    Friday, March 16, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Same for me as well.  I logged onto the chat feature in the Microsoft Dev Center and they told me they are working on it and trying to fix it ASAP.  Hopefully it's sooner than later.
    Monday, March 19, 2018 6:59 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

I understand that this situation is very frustrating. Please rest assured that the team is indeed working on the problem. I will continue to monitor the status and offer updates as they become available. 

Thanks,

James

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:38 PM
  • I can understand this situation if someone suddenly deleted VM with activation server and now your team implements it out of scratch.

OK, thank you for update we will wait for result.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:46 PM
  • Forget about it, Windows Phone is dead and Microsoft will not support it anymore....
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:41 PM
  • Hi All,

This issue should be resolved. You should now be able to register your Windows Phone 8.1 devices for development use. Can you please give it a test and post here if you are still having problems?

Thanks much,

James

Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:15 PM
  • James,

Confirmed! The problem was solved.

Thank you,

Leandro Noceli

Friday, March 23, 2018 12:31 AM
  • YES!!!  All fixed.

Thank you.

Friday, March 23, 2018 2:03 PM
  • James,

I am try to re-register a Lumia 1520 which I reset to WinPhone 8.1 this morning because I was having issues debugging a 8.1 app using VS2015 with Win10 installed. I am getting the same error message that appears to have been resolved last Thursday, e.g. "Error logging into the Windows Phone Dev Center. Check your Microsoft Account credentials and try again". Can you check the status of the registration server?

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 5:04 PM
  • The problems does indeed seem to be back for the Developer Phone Registration app as I cannot Register a Windows Embedded 8.1 Handheld device (Honeywell 75e).

I have tried different devices and cannot unregister devices either.

Also tried another Microsoft account too and that had the same "Error logging into the Windows Phone Dev Center. Check your Microsoft Account credentials and try again".

Please could you check if the previous issue has returned as I really need to register the device asap for testing.

Thanks. Mark.

Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:17 AM
  • I just finished filing an incident report with support for us.

Marc

Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:15 AM
  • The initial response from support pointed me to the following links:

Register your Windows Phone at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/apps/dn614128(v=win.10)

Enable your device for development at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/get-started/enable-your-device-for-development

The one thing that I hadn't done was to unregister my phone at Win Dev, as explained in the first link, as we are limited to three registered dev devices. Didn't help me though.

Thursday, March 29, 2018 9:20 PM
  • It looks like the registration server is downed again. 
    Friday, March 30, 2018 4:57 AM
  • Has anyone gotten any updates of when this will be fixed? 

A repair should not be this cumbersome to institute.

I think the response is very unprofessional and I will consider developing for other products lines.

Friday, March 30, 2018 3:19 PM

• PeaceMan

Friday, March 30, 2018 3:47 PM
  • Microsoft aren't trying very hard are they ? It takes them weeks to fix a rather urgent issue, it breaks again within a week and...nothing !
    Friday, March 30, 2018 9:27 PM
  • Although it has been over 24 hours since I filed the incident, the only response I have seen is the one I posted earlier which did indicated that they had looked at the server. At 10 PM last night I attempted to register my dev phone again without success.
    Saturday, March 31, 2018 10:35 AM
  • Hi,

This forum is discussing visual studio IDE, I will move your thread to Windows and Windows phone apps Developing Universal Windows apps forum, thank you for the understanding.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 2, 2018 6:12 AM
  • Hi GolfMan,

What do you mean by unlock not working?

It failed to unlock the phone?Is there any other error message?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Monday, April 2, 2018 6:31 AM
  • FYI, the assigned support technician to my incident is back at work and is investigating.  
    Monday, April 2, 2018 2:06 PM
  • Hi

Three years ago I used PhoneReg.exe that is part of Windows 8.1 SDK to developer unlock the phone 8.1 Lumia 635. This allowed me to deploy ARM packages to phone using Visual studio 2015 Community.

Week ago I cannot use any of my old apps because phone is saying developer locked. I factory reset the phone and use the tool to unlock and the registration tool is saying that it cannot connect to Dev Center.

Please help to unlock

• Merged by Breeze Liu Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:14 AM similar issue
    Monday, April 2, 2018 7:04 PM
  • One shift and no update, even to the simple question if the registration server was operating. Have any of you been able to register your device yet?
    Monday, April 2, 2018 10:54 PM
  • Hi GolfMan,

I asking other engineers to confirm this issue.

There will be some time delay.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 6:18 AM
  • Hi

Three years ago I used PhoneReg.exe that is part of Windows 8.1 SDK to developer unlock the phone 8.1 Lumia 635. This allowed me to deploy ARM packages to phone using Visual studio 2015 Community.

Week ago I cannot use any of my old apps because phone is saying developer locked. I factory reset the phone and use the tool to unlock and the registration tool is saying that it cannot connect to Dev Center.

Please help to unlock

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 7:29 AM
  • No I still can't register my device either.

In fact I am not even getting as far as before as I receive: "Error logging into the Windows Phone Dev Center.  Check your Microsoft Account credentials and try again".

Have tried two accounts and they both result in the same message.  Can log in to Microsoft on website using these accounts but extremely slow so this is probably a separate issue.

Will try again later!

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 7:50 AM
  • We too, we are unable to unlock Windows Phone 8.1.

Same error: "Error logging into the Windows Phone Dev Center.  Check your Microsoft Account credentials and try again"

Fix please!!!

• Proposed as answer by Leevan Dias Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:42 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Leevan Dias Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:42 AM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 7:54 AM
  • Hi all.

I have the same problem, unabvle to register my WP8.1 Lumia 925:

Same error: "Error logging into the Windows Phone Dev Center.  Check your Microsoft Account credentials and try again"

What is very sad: yesterday I have registered myself as Developer and paid the registration fee (14€+TAX).

Of course, I have taken account of all the things mentioned in

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/apps/dn614128(v=win.10)

Fix please!!!

Regards

Jörg

• Edited by Entloper Wednesday, April 4, 2018 1:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 9:30 AM
  • It has been at least a week now, can we have some idea of how long this is likely to take please Microsoft?

I have a number of Windows Embedded Handheld 8.1 devices and as far as I am aware support for Handheld 8.1 doesn't end until June 2019.  Surely there should be some urgency on this issue as it holds up development work and wastes a lot of time for people who keep having to try the registration server in vain wondering if this will in fact ever get fixed (not to break again a week later!).

At least a simple update on the status of this issue would be welcome and surely not too much to expect?

Regards, Mark.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 9:19 AM
  • Hi all.

I will try to demand my registration fee back, now.
    Obviously, it is of no priority for microsoft. Very, very sad.

Regards

Jörg

Thursday, April 5, 2018 11:08 PM
  • Great, have just been able to Developer Unlock a device so looks like the problem was fixed by Microsoft.

Hopefully others will now be able to unlock too and the issue will not return again.

Friday, April 6, 2018 9:26 AM
  • YEEEEEEEEES :-)

I have got success, too.

Thank your very much. I hope this has been fixed for ever.

Regards

Jörg

Friday, April 6, 2018 5:42 PM
  • Yes!! Finally unlocked my phone!!!

It appears that filing an incident eventually worked as MS Support finally did something.

• Edited by AlaskanRogue Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by AlaskanRogue Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 9:49 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying to Get Developer License in our Windows 8.1. Already got developer license and is about to expire in 2 days. So i am in need to renew the developer license.

But when i try to renew, i get a error "We could not get your Developer license for Windows 8.1. Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

What does this error mean? and how to solve this to get developer license?

Can anyone please give solution?

Thank you.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 1:25 PM
  • Hi PM16,

Please first make sure the internet connection of your device.

Have you tried to log out your account and then login again and renew the license?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Friday, May 11, 2018 3:23 AM
  • Recently started getting an error while trying to renew my developer license on a few of my machines.

I can't put images on messages yet but error is the : "Unexcepted call to method or property" and then there's a lengthy url to login.live.com

i think this error is known. Seems like the problem is with the live.com server?

Any clue how to fix this?

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 11:29 AM
  • So, i've fixed this ... and it's the most inane thing.

For some reason, the account i was using to login in LIVE started being considered a "child" of a family (account i refered , i guess?) and because of that it kept giving access denied. Which the error wasn't showing obviously.

Now that i made that account an adult, it works again >.>

--

Wonder what changed in the last 2 weeks (last time i had renewed a developer license with said account) for this to happen now ...

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that you have find out the problem.

You could mark your reply as answer so that might help others who are facing the same problem.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 1:50 AM
  • I think the support team of windows should just do us a favor. Just unlock all our devices. I understand you dropped the windows phone project but many people use the phones. Just unlock all our phones and forget about it. Please we are suffering
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 6:00 PM
  • In case this helps anyone, I had the same problem today. 

Here are some tips that helped:

1. Phone and computer must be on the same network/wifi

2. Make sure the dateTime is correct

3. Screen is unlocked and doesn't go into sleep mode

4. If the handheld doesn't have a unique name (assuming the default is already registered) it will fail. Once I changed that it registered itself without me even clicking on 'Register'.

5. Make sure your limit for register devices is not maxed.

Monday, January 14, 2019 8:39 PM
  • This is so helpful! I'm here to thank! 
    Monday, December 9, 2019 12:09 PM