WCF Add Service Reference Not Supported for Windows Phone 8.1 XAML Applications RRS feed

• General discussion

• Windows Phone 8.1 XAML applications does not support the System.ServiceModel namespace, and therefore you are not able to right click references in the project and choose Add Service Reference.   The recommended solution is to add a REST endpoint to your WCF endpoint, and access the WCF application through the REST endpoint using HttpClient.

Bret Bentzinger (MSFT) @awehellyeah

Monday, April 7, 2014 3:40 PM

All replies

• Remarkable decision to exclude it only for Windows Phone 8.1 XAML apps and keep it in Windows 8.1. A great start for Universal Apps and unneeded fuel for rumors concerning WCF end of life/support...

Aragon IT

Monday, April 7, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Ok, it's a deadline issue, indeed wouldn't want to block the WP8.1 release when there is a REST or Silverlight workaround. Good luck with the rollout next week!

Aragon IT

Monday, April 7, 2014 5:50 PM
  • WCF is the single best technology to be produced by MS in decades... The exclusion of System.ServiceModel from WP8.1 Universal Apps is unacceptable! Not only does it effect the ability to use WFC (rpc style tech) but it also takes with it 'SQLite for WP8' and also 'Localdatabase'. The worst part is both of these tech's still work on the 8.1 WinRT runtime.

This is either a massive oversight or an indictment of the WinRT "Universal App" system. So which is it... an error in the inclusion of ServiceModel, or a lie that W8.1 and WP8.1 runtimes are created equal??
    Monday, April 21, 2014 12:19 AM
  • Any indication as to when the WCF Service References will return to Windows Phone (and thus, also to Universal Apps)? This is currently the only thing keeping me from transforming our existing Windows Phone + Windows 8 individual apps (both consuming a WCF service) to Universal.

And no, I will not consider re-architecting everything to REST just for the fun of it :)

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:03 AM
  • I am just adding my vote to fix this, not having them in the universal app pretty much knock all my projects out of the running.

John J. Hughes II

Friday, May 9, 2014 9:36 PM
  • The fact that you can still use it on Windows 8.1 is a mind boggling that it was dropped in Windows Phone 8.1, pretty stupid imo considering all of the applications out there that probably use it.  Forces me to stay on the Silverlight track.  No universal app usage for one of the apps I have in the pipeline, due to the nature of the data that is pulled into the app based on the source provider usage of asmx, which probably won't change any time soon.

Morgan Vermef

• Edited by mvermef Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:48 PM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:46 PM
  • Another dead end for Windows developers, why I'm not surprised?

WCF could be a good advantage for Windows Phone in the Enterprise.

If Microsoft doesn't support their own technology what's the point of developing for Windows? If I have to rewrite everything again and again, It's a good opportunity to migrate to other platforms with more than 2% of market share.

• Edited by Rodolfo28 Sunday, May 25, 2014 3:37 PM
    Sunday, May 25, 2014 3:36 PM
  • As you know, in WP 8.1, WCF is removed from the API. I'd like to know if this is a temporary thing or permanent.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:42 AM
  • I already read these. There is no official answer there but speculations.
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:54 AM
  • Please don't post multiple threads on the same subject.

We cannot speculate on future features. We can comment only on what is currently publically available.

--Rob

Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:23 AM
  • Sorry Rob,

I only would like to know, if there are any existing plans to add WCF support back to WP 8.1 or not?

• Edited by onurg Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:14 PM typo
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:13 PM
  • For God's sake is there a logical reason not to add that namespace on Win 8.1 Xaml??? Now without reason , i have to learn Rest, adding Rest to Wcf and learning HttpClient. Why??? Sometimes Microsoft really pissed off me. Do not forget that WE, THE DEVELOPERS ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS TOO.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:37 PM
  • This is a way to force the use of Windows Azure as a service platform!
    Friday, June 20, 2014 1:10 PM
  • This is a way to force the use of Windows Azure as a service platform!
    Friday, June 20, 2014 1:10 PM
  • My opinion on this subject is that someone in management needs to get rid of the "Yes Man" and hire someone with a backbone.

A project (such as this one) suffered big time because of your excuse of meeting a deadline. Did nobody do feasibility studies to determine the effects of removing the ServiceModel namespace and how it would break migration? It wasn't removed from the other project types, so it wasn't a point that it wouldn't fit on the device, so it came down to testing and someone dropped the ball. This is poor management, and deadlines should be extended for critical points within a project. Think about the public relations that has already been set backwards by this move. I believe that it meets the critical criteria only because you are talking about targeting the mobile devices which consume external data sources as a key component. Lacking the ServiceModel namespace was a monumental error on the teams part.

This is a perfect case of "we can ship the car", but the wheels will have to wait...they can "Flintstone it" until we get the wheels ready.

Thomas Mullen

Thomas Mullen

Saturday, July 19, 2014 3:46 PM
  • First you didn't add ADO.NET to Windows 8 apps. Now you removed WCF from WinPhone 8.1 apps. This is ridiculous.

I have no control over WCF endpoint I was planning to use. I can't add REST to it.

How am I supposed to develop any real world app for the platform?

Monday, July 28, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Deleted
    Sunday, August 17, 2014 2:22 AM
  • This is stopping us from porting our old Windows Mobile application to Windows Phone 8.1 because our entire back-end is exposed with WCF services. Changing the back-end to REST would require weeks if not months to do. I hope this will be rectified in the near future.
    Monday, August 18, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

I am new to WCF and XAML, hence I was wondering if there is a tutorial or some steps that I may follow to use the workaround to access my WCF service in WP 8.1?

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:02 AM
  • I think that  Microsoft just wants to tell us  that WCF is old fashion  ....

And web API Rocks  :) 

Saturday, November 15, 2014 11:13 AM
  • Extreme set back for universal app (productivity and otherwise)...

Is there a nuget package to get around this?

(I have added votes to user voice)

Skipping the rant, but pointing out the obvious: this is necessary and critical for the platform.

HgSyn

Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:38 PM
  • This will cost money and time to build the security and encryption layer that is lacking in REST services.

Lately Microsoft has made some great decisions, but I think REST services are 2nd rate when compared to WCF control, security, and overall capability.  We are getting there guys, Silverlight in Windows Phone 8.1 is back but we lose WCF in Universal Phone Apps LOL!

OH BOY... I still give Microsoft credit for their effort. They just have to get that last 10th of a mile correct to blow out the competition without any doubt. 

Friday, November 21, 2014 3:00 PM
  • I just came across this limitation whilst carrying out some R&D for a future project.

So I can use WCF & OData via a service reference with my Winforms app and my Windows 8.1 app, but not with my Windows 8.1 phone app without writing an entirely new data layer!?

C'mon guys, we need this in Windows Phone 8.1! :'(

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Does windows phone 8.2 support reflection.emit? If it does, you could Ty building the open sourced service model code.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Emit is not available to Windows Phone apps.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 4:34 PM
  • There is a Github project that can help add a REST endpoint to your WCF Service:

Bret Bentzinger (MSFT) @awehellyeah

Monday, March 23, 2015 9:20 PM
  • We need WCF support now as we need to support SOAP clients which cannot be ported to REST for a variety of reasons.

Does Microsoft intend to support WCF for Windows Phone in the future? Or is this yet another excellent technology which is going in the dumpster just like Silverlight? I wish Microsoft would stand up for itself and its developer community, and provide continued support for technologies which are obviously feature rich and some of the best ever created by Microsoft.

This is extremely agitating and yet another reason why Windows Phone is having so much trouble.

Very frustrating indeed.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 12:19 AM
  • Does Microsoft intend to support WCF for Windows Phone in the future?

Add Service Reference for WCF services is already supported for UWP apps, including for Windows 10 Mobile devices.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 1:13 AM
  • But how do we configure Endpoint address? Back in old days, we could externally configure endpoint address on app.config; my understanding is that UWP apps do not use app.config. When we Add Service Reference for a WCF service, where is this endpoint address being specified?
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 2:38 PM
  • Tried to compile it for the Store to  .Net Native ...

You will NOT succeed:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn600634(v=vs.110).aspx

Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) (System.ServiceModel.*)

The types in the System.ServiceModel.* namespaces aren't supported in .NET Native. These includes the following types: 

Andi

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Please post new questions on a new thread, and please provide enough information that it is clear what you are asking.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:14 PM