The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
[uwp] Bug with prices in your store RRS feed

• Question

• It seems you have serios bug in windows store.
    I set

- price 0.99$
    - Trial never experies

And limit my application using IsTrial property.
    But for all users IsTrial is false.
    It means that they can get my app for free!

StoreAppLicense

- IsActive always true

- IsTrial always false ??? ( Why )

Who can help me ? Because I can't contnue to develop my app and invest my time into win store development because I waste my money.

Mood Store

• Edited by SmartWhy Friday, February 3, 2017 6:11 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 6:10 AM

Answers

• Thank you for the extra information! This all makes sense now.  When an app is "free", it can't really have a trial.  Instead, you'll just get a full license.  So, at step 2, both users and both machines now have a full license.  When you changed the price, it doesn't really affect the people who already have full licenses.  As for different accounts on the same PC? This is also by design. If any user on the machine owns it, other users can still use the full version.  That is, when a user downloads the app and gets a license, the device is also granted a license, so any other user on the machine can use the app.

5. This is the only one that confuses me.  Are you saying a brand new machine that you had never tested the app on? Never downloaded? Even with other accounts? 

> If user on one computer has sign that he owner of this product, all other user (even they didn't pay anything) can use this app for free too on this machine. (And this is a bug.)

This is actually exactly by design.  Only one person on the machine must own the full version and all users of this machine get the full version.  At any rate, I do believe you are actually seeing the code work as expected, but the way the licenses can be shared is confusing.  I sent you e-mail asking for more information.  We can dig further to confirm.

• Marked as answer by SmartWhy Monday, February 13, 2017 9:44 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi SmartWhy,

I am sorry for the inconvenience that caused for you and the related team is investigating this issue.

Could you please run WSCOLLECT and provide logs in here?

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 6, 2017 6:12 AM
    Owner
  • In first submission I had:
    - price - free
    - trial - no expired
    In second submission I have:
    - price - 0.99$
    - trial - no expired
    Very probably in store database values with prices is not updated.
    I mean if in first submission developer set free your system thinks that this application always free.
    And it is absolutelty doesn't metter set you price or not.

After WSCOLLECT i have

Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer-Operational.evtx

Microsoft-Windows-Store-Operational.evtx

Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient-Operational.evtx

Microsoft-WS-Licensing-Admin.evtx

ReportingEvents.log

and alot of *.etl files.

What logs do you want to see ?

There are no ability to attach a file to post

Mood Store

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:25 AM
  • also I have:

- clean machine ( not developer machine )

- attached clean account ( not developer account )

And I see that for values

- price 0.99$
    - Trial never experies

Your store return

StoreAppLicense.IsTrial = false ( for all user without payment )

That's why my log will not help you I think. Because problem with your store but not dev machine.

Mood Store

• Edited by SmartWhy Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:51 AM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:50 AM
  • Hello SmartWhy,

I'm a developer on the Windows Store API team.  When you run WSCOLLECT, it creates a CAB file on the desktop. This log contains lots of diagnostic details that will help us see exactly what is happening during the licensing calls.  If you could mail the CAB file to me at: shanede (at) microsoft (dot) com.  Also, I don't see any reference to which application is having this problem. If possible, can you also provide the ProductID of your application and the version of your OS?  All of these details will help me find a solution quickly.

Thanks,

Shane

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:15 PM
  • I am testing with the app linked in your signature (Mood Store).  It seems to work right for me. When I launch the app, it shows ADs. When I try to close the ADs, it tells me to buy the full version.  I looked at the logs on my machine and I see the app uses both Windows.ApplicationModel.Store.CurrentApp.AppId and Windows.Services.Store.StoreContext.  You should one, but not both of these APIs.  The former works on Windows 8 to Windows 10 (build 10540 or less).  The newer APIs offer a lot more flexibility and power: "Windows.Services.Store.StoreContext"  These are available on Windows 10 Anniversary update or newer (build 14393).

If you are trying to target newer machines only, you should move over to Windows.Services.Store.StoreContext completely.

In the WSCOLLECT logs, we pull the event log: Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\Store\Operational

In this event log it has dump of the data we get regarding the license, on my box it looks like:

Decoding:
    {
      "entitlementId":"74e527a33e0f4a6195f9255995a69a0e",
      "entitlementSatisfaction":"Device",
      "isOffline":true,
      "isTrial":true,
      "leaseEnforcement":"RefreshOnStartup",
      "leaseUri...
    }

This is a snippet of the larger document, but you can clearly see the "isTrial" is set to true.  I'm needing the logs to see this value.  And if yours doesn't have "isTrial" true, then I can look at the data stored in our servers to determine WHY it gave you a full license.  Does this make sense? If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

=Shane DeSeranno

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 4:10 PM
  • Thanks. I am collecting info and will send you tomorrow.

It is very strange because I ran it on clean machine under clean account and I didn't see ads at all.

Full functionality was available.

Mood Store

• Edited by SmartWhy Thursday, February 9, 2017 9:28 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Sounds great! And I believe that once I get the logs, I'll be able to tell you exactly why you are seeing this behavior. And then we can determine if it is related to a bug, or of there is some other explanation.  Don't forget to provide details like which OS version you are using.
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 4:39 PM
  • I have sent letter with logs today at the morning.

Also I took the same sources.
    Created new app.
    Made the same settings:
    - Trial never experied
    - prices 0.99$

On both computers the same sources in new app works well. I see ADS, and limitation.

So 100% this is bug. Because
    - I didn't pay anything,
    - but the same sources
    - under different Windows Store App
    - In one app shows that I payed and own this app
    - In another app it shows that I didn't pay anything and shows me trial version.

But from point of view very probably you have second bug.

What I did:

1. First time I had
    - Trial never experiod
    - Price (free)

2. On both computer under different Microsoft Account I had installed this app.

3. Later I changed marketing strategy and changed price
    - Trial never experiod
    - Price 0.99$

4. But on both computer under different account this app was updated
    and I saw full version without ADS. ( first bug )

5. Then on one computer I added new User account with third Microsoft Account
    Which was clean - I never install this app for it.
    Under it I saw that app has trial and full version.
    But when I installed trial version I saw full version.

I have only one explanation:
    - If user on one computer has sign that he owner of this product,
    all other user (even they didn't pay anything) can use this app for free too on this machine. (And this is a bug.)

May my code has bug ? No! Because you - on your computer install the same app and see ADS. And the same code under another Windows Store App works well.

6. After that I installed the new Windows Store App with the same sources and everything works well.

Mood Store

Friday, February 10, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Thank you for the extra information! This all makes sense now.  When an app is "free", it can't really have a trial.  Instead, you'll just get a full license.  So, at step 2, both users and both machines now have a full license.  When you changed the price, it doesn't really affect the people who already have full licenses.  As for different accounts on the same PC? This is also by design. If any user on the machine owns it, other users can still use the full version.  That is, when a user downloads the app and gets a license, the device is also granted a license, so any other user on the machine can use the app.

5. This is the only one that confuses me.  Are you saying a brand new machine that you had never tested the app on? Never downloaded? Even with other accounts? 

> If user on one computer has sign that he owner of this product, all other user (even they didn't pay anything) can use this app for free too on this machine. (And this is a bug.)

This is actually exactly by design.  Only one person on the machine must own the full version and all users of this machine get the full version.  At any rate, I do believe you are actually seeing the code work as expected, but the way the licenses can be shared is confusing.  I sent you e-mail asking for more information.  We can dig further to confirm.

• Marked as answer by SmartWhy Monday, February 13, 2017 9:44 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 6:17 PM
  • >Are you saying a brand new machine that you had never tested the app on? Never downloaded? Even with other accounts?

I answered you but post answer here.

It wasn't new machine, but it was new account.

So on this machine was user who douwnloaded app when it was free.

Later on that machine I created new user and added new account to him.

So I tested this situation:

>That is, when a user downloads the app and gets a license, the device is also granted a license, so any other user on the machine can use the app.

At last I continue think then this sitation is ubnormal.

I created app. Make it free.

1000 users downloaded app. Get full license.

Later I set prices.

All this people will not pay me money for new functionality, they will have new product, with last version absolutelty free.

Imagine

you have

Visual Studio Communite - free.

1 000 000 people downloaded it.

Then you decided you will not have free version.

Remove it.

Add Visual Studio Pro. Set Price 1000$.

But all from this 1 000 000 get update to Visual Studio Pro.

They will not pay you anything, but use it free.

On the other hand. I think I get answer on my questions.

Thaks for yout job. I will try to find a way to fix it.

I will mark you post as answer!

Mood Store

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:43 AM