none
[DAC]Unable to build app store app from my offline executable desktop application using Desktop App Convertor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created an Java Desktop Application (.jar ) and then converted the same (created .batch file to trigger the application .jar file) to Executable (.exe) using Advanced Installer 14.5.2. Therefore I have tried to build an sote APP file using DesktopAppConverter (DesktopAppConverter.exe & Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134.wim)  through powershell from my executable file and I am getting the message "Waiting for installer process to complete inside Isolated Environment" and stucked. 

I am working on following environment

Operating System: Windows 10 version 1803 (OS build 17134.523)

Development Environment: JDK1.7.79

Running Environment: JRE1.7.79 or above

Thanks in advance. 

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> DesktopAppConverter.exe -Installer "C:\DACInput\DigiBunai.exe" -InstallerArguments "/verysilent" -Destination C:\DACOutput\ -PackageName "DigiBu

nai" -Publisher "CN=DigiBunai" -Version 0.0.0.1 -MakeAppx -Verbose

VERBOSE: Log file can be found in C:\DesktopAppConverter\8e43d51f-9328-42e4-bfa5-0d5ec0fd47a9\logs\DesktopAppConverter.log

VERBOSE: Desktop App Converter 2.1.4.release_2018-08-14_00-27_7df878bb5e280d60de11b2d1936c052db590dd40

VERBOSE: --------------------------------------------------

Checking Prerequisites

VERBOSE: Checking Windows Version to ensure it meets minimum requirements

VERBOSE: Minimum Windows Version requirement is met.

VERBOSE: Checking if Microsoft Windows 10 SDK is installed

VERBOSE: Checking Windows SDK version to ensure it meets minimum requirements.

VERBOSE: The installed Windows SDK version 10.0.17763.132 is supported

VERBOSE: Checking if MAKEAPPX.exe is available in the Microsoft Windows 10 SDK tools

VERBOSE: Checking if SIGNTOOL.exe is available in the Microsoft Windows 10 SDK tools

VERBOSE: Checking if MAKEPRI.exe is available in the Microsoft Windows 10 SDK tools

VERBOSE: Ensuring the provided Installer (C:\DACInput\DigiBunai.exe) exists

VERBOSE: Testing for required feature 'Containers' enabled...

VERBOSE: Target Image Version 10.0.17134.523

VERBOSE: Required feature 'Containers' is enabled. Checking if reboot is required

VERBOSE: Target Image Version 10.0.17134.523

VERBOSE: Required feature 'Containers' is enabled.

VERBOSE: Checking network config...

VERBOSE: Checking virtual network: "Windows Desktop App Converter Network"

VERBOSE: Using virtual network: "Windows Desktop App Converter Network"

Initializing AppxManifest.xml

VERBOSE: Creating working directory structure at C:\DesktopAppConverter\8e43d51f-9328-42e4-bfa5-0d5ec0fd47a9

VERBOSE: Attempting to set appx manifest property 'Package.Identity.Name' to 'DigiBunai'.

VERBOSE: Attempting to set appx manifest property 'Package.Identity.Publisher' to 'CN=DigiBunai'.

VERBOSE: Attempting to set appx manifest property 'Package.Identity.Version' to '0.0.0.1'.

VERBOSE: No value provided for appx manifest property 'Package.Properties.PublisherDisplayName'. Attempting to set it to the default value 'DigiBunai'

VERBOSE: Attempting to set appx manifest property 'Package.Properties.PublisherDisplayName' to 'DigiBunai'.

VERBOSE: No value provided for appx manifest property 'Package.Properties.DisplayName'. Attempting to set it to the default value 'DigiBunai'

VERBOSE: Attempting to set appx manifest property 'Package.Properties.DisplayName' to 'DigiBunai'.

VERBOSE: No value provided for appx manifest property 'Package.Applications.Application.VisualElement.Description'. Attempting to set it to the default value

'DigiBunai'

VERBOSE: Attempting to set appx manifest property 'Package.Applications.Application.VisualElement.Description' to 'DigiBunai'.

VERBOSE: No value provided for appx manifest property 'Package.Applications.Application.VisualElement.DisplayName'. Attempting to set it to the default value

'DigiBunai'

VERBOSE: Attempting to set appx manifest property 'Package.Applications.Application.VisualElement.DisplayName' to 'DigiBunai'.

VERBOSE: No value provided for appx manifest property 'Package.Applications.Application.Id'. Attempting to set it to the default value 'DigiBunai'

VERBOSE: Attempting to set appx manifest property 'Package.Applications.Application.Id' to 'DigiBunai'.

Validating Input

VERBOSE: Expanded base image(s) found at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images. Attempting to choose the most recent one compatible with your version of Windows.

VERBOSE: Testing if base image at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134 is compatible with your OS

VERBOSE: Attempting to determine Windows version for expanded base image at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134

VERBOSE: Attempting to determine version from version file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134\version.json if it exists

VERBOSE: Version found in 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134\version.json' is: 10.0.17134.1

VERBOSE: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134 is of windows version 10.0.17134.1

VERBOSE: The base image version was determined to be 10.0.17134.0

VERBOSE: Your Windows version was determined to be 10.0.17134.0

VERBOSE: Ignoring revision numbers

VERBOSE: Expanded base image at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134 IS compatible with your OS

VERBOSE: Expanded base image with compatible Windows version found: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134

VERBOSE: Using expanded base image: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134

VERBOSE: Checking that the ExpandedBaseImage 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134' is valid

VERBOSE: Testing if base image at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134 is compatible with your OS

VERBOSE: Attempting to determine Windows version for expanded base image at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134

VERBOSE: Attempting to determine version from version file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134\version.json if it exists

VERBOSE: Version found in 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134\version.json' is: 10.0.17134.1

VERBOSE: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134 is of windows version 10.0.17134.1

VERBOSE: The base image version was determined to be 10.0.17134.0

VERBOSE: Your Windows version was determined to be 10.0.17134.0

VERBOSE: Ignoring revision numbers

VERBOSE: Expanded base image at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images\Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134 IS compatible with your OS

VERBOSE: Checking if Destination (C:\DACOutput\DigiBunai) is sibling of (C:\DACInput\DigiBunai.exe).

VERBOSE: Checking if Destination (C:\DACOutput\DigiBunai) exists

VERBOSE: C:\DACOutput\DigiBunai exists

VERBOSE: C:\DACOutput\DigiBunai exists and is empty

VERBOSE: Ensuring that this script has write permissions to C:\DACOutput\DigiBunai...

VERBOSE: Checking that installer is not sibling to working directory

Setting up Conversion Environment

VERBOSE: Copying contents of C:\DACInput to C:\DesktopAppConverter\8e43d51f-9328-42e4-bfa5-0d5ec0fd47a9\shared\installer to be shared with isolated environment

VERBOSE: Copying KnownFolderDump.exe and its dependencies to C:\DesktopAppConverter\8e43d51f-9328-42e4-bfa5-0d5ec0fd47a9\shared\dac\bin

Running Installer in Isolated Environment

VERBOSE: No installer valid exit codes specified. Using defaults: 0

VERBOSE: Replace any occurrence of <log_folder> in -InstallerArguments with C:\shared\logs

VERBOSE: Creating Isolated Environment

VERBOSE: Starting the Isolated Environment

VERBOSE: Logging known folder locations in Isolated Environment

VERBOSE: Command line: "C:\shared\dac\bin\KnownFolderDump.exe" "C:\shared\dac\out\KnownFolders.xml"

VERBOSE: Waiting for known folder mapping process to finish in Isolated Environment

VERBOSE: Running installer command in Isolated Environment

VERBOSE: Command line: "C:\shared\installer\DigiBunai.exe" /verysilent

VERBOSE: Waiting for installer process to complete inside Isolated Environment

Monday, February 4, 2019 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For such kind of problem, generally it is caused by that the desktop installer does not support running silently. 

Please make sure that you had followed all the suggestions in the document:Prepare to package a desktop application. It is mentioned that "Your application installer must be able to run silently, and it must install all of its prerequisites that aren't on by default on a clean OS image."

I found another thread from you here:Unable to generate result after launch of .APPX file similar to .EXE file for offline desktop application. It seems that you have already converted the app using DAC. Did you solved this problem?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:41 AM
  • Initially I have tried to run command DesktopAppConverter.exe -Installer C:\DACInput\DigiBunai.exe -Destination C:\DACOutput\ -PackageName "DigiBunai" -Publisher "CN=DigiBunai" -Version 1.0.0.0 and for that time it run without error but didn’t popup any message and just stuck. Therefore I searched web and found different option to run the command and used following command as DesktopAppConverter.exe -Installer "C:\DACInput\DigiBunai.exe" -InstallerArguments "/S" -Destination C:\DACOutput\ -PackageName "DigiBunai" -Publisher "CN=DigiBunai" -Version 0.0.0.1 -MakeAppx -Verbose but I also freezes after printing 'Waiting for installer process to complete inside Isolated Environment' messages. Since It also stuck so I took help from web (https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/15203781-desktop-app-converter-stuck-in-converting-process) and updated the InstallerArguments from “/s” to "/verysilent" in the command DesktopAppConverter.exe -Installer "C:\DACInput\DigiBunai.ex" -InstallerArguments "/verysilent" -Destination C:\DACOutput\ -PackageName "DigiBunai" -Publisher "CN=DigiBunai" -Version 0.0.0.1 -MakeAppx -Verbose. and this is the stage I have posted above.

My another thread: 'Unable to generate result after launch of .APPX file similar to .EXE file for offline desktop application' is the alternate path I have taken to create the .appx using Advance Installer 15.6 Express instead of DesktopAppConverter.exe. But this has resulted another set of issues, so I am open to had help on any of path/solution to build and publish my Java application as App store item.

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 4:23 AM
  • Hi,

It looks like that the converted UWP app haven't find the path for your executable when converting from the Advanced Installer. If you are using DAC to convert your app, you could try to add -AppExecutable to assign the executable of the app. You just need to the get the output exe path and use that for -AppExecutable. For example like this:

DeskTopAppConverter.exe -Installer C:\xxx.exe -Destination C:\Folder -PackageName "xxx" -InstallerArguments "/S /v/qn" -Publisher "xxx" -Version 1.0.0.0 -MakeAppx -AppExecutable
    "C:\Program Files(x86)\xxx\xxx\xxx.exe" -sign

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:14 AM
  • While using DAC, I am just stucked after the message "Waiting for installer process to complete inside Isolated Environment", which means it does not generate .appx output file using DAC.

Again, My application is a Java desktop application, means I am having a Java ARchive(.jar) file, which is triggered through windows batch(.bat) file. Then I have packaged my application (.bat, .jar and dependencies) along with the prerequisites (JRE .exe installer & MySQL .msi installers) into a complete installer(.exe) using Advance Installer 14.5.2.

Now from your above reply, parameter  -AppExecutable takes only .exe as its value, whereas I have .jar or .bat as starting/trigger point of application. Even If I try the commend DesktopAppConverter.exe -Installer "C:\DACInput\DigiBunai.exe" -Destination C:\DACOutput\ -PackageName "DigiBunai" -InstallerArguments "/S /v/qn" -Publisher "CN=DigiBunai" -Version 1.0.0.0 -MakeAppx -AppExecutable "C:\Digital India Corporation\DigiBunai\DigiBunai.bat" -sign . I am getting following error:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> DesktopAppConverter.exe -Installer "C:\DACInput\DigiBunai.exe" -Destination C:\DACOutput\ -PackageName "DigiBunai" -InstallerArguments "/S /v/qn" -Publisher "CN=DigiBunai" -Version 1.0.0.0 -MakeAppx -AppExecutable "C:\Digital India Corporation\DigiBunai\DigiBunai.bat" -sign
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.DesktopAppConverter_2.1.4.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\DesktopAppConverter.ps1 :
    DesktopAppConverter : error 'E_APP_EXECUTABLE_NOT_EXE': AppExecutable must be a '.exe'
    At line:1 char:1
    + &'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.DesktopAppConverter_2.1.4.0_ ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,DesktopAppConverter.ps1
    Output Paths:
    Name                           Value
    ----                           -----
    PackageFilesPath
    MSIXPackageFilesPath
    LogFilesPath                   C:\DACOutput\DigiBunai\logs
    CertPath
    AppxPackageFilesPath
    PackagePath

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

I have a question about this. Does your .exe installer support silent installation?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:42 AM
  • Hello Roy,

My .exe installer contains perquisite installers such as MySQL and JRE. which requires human intervention. 

Thanks & Regards

Amit Kumar Singh

---------------------------------------------

We have developed an open source CAD software viz. ‘DigiBunai’ to help grass root user of textile community for optimizing the process and digitize the data. As the most of the user groups are comfortable with windows environment, we are trying to use the windows app store as  a delivery method to increase the  outreach of the application. This will enhance the accessibility of the application.

Monday, February 11, 2019 11:11 AM
  • Hi,

So that is the reason for this behavior, DAC requires the installer that could run silently. This is mentioned in my first reply. Please make sure that you had followed all the suggestions from this link:Prepare to package a desktop application.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:30 AM
  • Hi,

I have tested the same operation with two of silent installers, but I did get same problem.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

According to the response I got from the team, the team suggests that you could try to use the newer Msix Packaging Tool from the Store which allows you to have a visual interactive experience, and hopefully see the popup that is causing the install to get stuck.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Monday, February 18, 2019 6:38 AM