none
Install app on 1 device RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and thanks for looking at this question.

I'm planning to create a custom app for a family member to make contact with an existing program i made (wich will host a wcf service).

The reason i'm not putting it on the marketplace is because it's a specialized app and can (and should because of security) only by used the family member.

Is there a way to install the app on his device alone without registering his phone as a dev phone?

Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:39 PM

Answers

• Without registering as a dev phone, you can't side load apps. However, you can publish the app to Windows Phone Store and make it hidden. I think, I have never done, that an hidden app can be downloaded only through the app's deep link. You will have to check it out.

ThanQ...

Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:38 PM
  • The developer phone option is probably the best in this case since it would not have to go through testing to be published even as hidden.

If you do publish the application as a hidden application, you can also look at the DeviceUniqueID or AnonymousUserID to restrict the application to the testers and the user so if someone manages to get the deep link, the application won't be useful to them.

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:38 AM

All replies

• Without registering as a dev phone, you can't side load apps. However, you can publish the app to Windows Phone Store and make it hidden. I think, I have never done, that an hidden app can be downloaded only through the app's deep link. You will have to check it out.

ThanQ...

Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:38 PM
  • The developer phone option is probably the best in this case since it would not have to go through testing to be published even as hidden.

If you do publish the application as a hidden application, you can also look at the DeviceUniqueID or AnonymousUserID to restrict the application to the testers and the user so if someone manages to get the deep link, the application won't be useful to them.

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Yes publish as hidden and then use the deep link ;)

Tiziano Cacioppolini

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:26 AM