none
How to create .exe/.msi for uwp application RRS feed

• Question

• We have developed a desktop application, it should run in both PC's and table's, that's the reason we have chosen UWP. Now I have to Packaging UWP application as .exe or .msi to provide it to my clients. I did some research on the internet but didn't found any information. Any one help me like, To create setup project like traditional windows forms with out visual studio using wizard.
    Sunday, June 9, 2019 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,

UWP app cannot be packaged as a exe or msi, you can olny use appxpackage or related format to package a UWP app, here is the reference https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/packaging/packaging-uwp-apps

So can you be specific about this "To create setup project like traditional windows forms with out visual studio using wizard.", do you want to use Visual Studio or not using Visual Studio, do you want to using wizard or avoid using wizard? 

Anyway, if you want to manually package UWP app you need to check this doc https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/packaging/manual-packaging-root UWP app can be pacakged by using MakeAppx.exe.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 10, 2019 5:44 AM
  • Hi Barry,

thanks for the reply. I am using visual studio..But I want to  avoid using wizard. 

Like we should have a project to create package for my UWP app. (I mean just by building project it should generate package "like setup project for windows forms").

Monday, June 10, 2019 7:35 AM
  • Is this the same case you posted on stackoverflow? https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56512666/how-to-create-exe-msi-for-uwp-application

If so, I would recommend you take Stefan's answer first. And for your question about shortcut, users can create shortcut for UWP themselves. Powershell can also do this. But I'm not aware of a programmatic way to do this. What about consider live tile for UWP?

Regards,

Barry 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 10, 2019 9:58 AM
  • I am not deploying my app to windows store. Do I need to create a certificate and signing. If it required what's the purpose? 
    Monday, June 10, 2019 12:22 PM
  • You can still use Visual Studio generated certificate and the limitation is that it's only available for one year. If you upload to the store then it is not required for you to sign with the test certificate because the store will use a certificate for you.  The code signing in my point of view is used for "Security considerations".

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:12 AM
  • I am trying to build package from commadline tools(MakeAppx,SignTool). I have few question..

1) While creating .appx file by using MakeAppx. What files I need to include(I mean all the files from the release folder).

2) I have created new .cer file and exported certificate to .pfx file.

3) Use SignTool to manually sign an app package with a certificate ? my question is, SignTool is going to install certificate to local machine?

I did three things but my appx is not installing my app after signin.

my ultimate goal is to shorten installation steps for my clients to install side loaded uwp app. Without manual installation of certificate and dependencies, bundle files.

Just I need a installer(.appx or .msix or .exe or anything) it should take care of all the manual steps.

• Edited by KPam1234 Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:29 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:19 AM
  • @KPam1234,

1)While creating .appx file by using MakeAppx. What files I need to include(I mean all the files from the release folder).

Just use the whole directory in case you may miss anything from that folder.

2 and 3: Use SignTool to manually sign an app package with a certificate, SignTool is going to install certificate to local machine

See this doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/packaging/sign-app-package-using-signtool

SignTool can sign encrypted or unencrypted app packages and bundles. The certificate will then be used for unencrypted app packages when you are trying to install the package. I'm not so sure the meaning of "local machine" you mentioned. 

For the installation, have you checked the powershell when you package your app? Actually you can use this powershell script for deployment and it will install everything for you.

Regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:11 AM