Free vs Trial vs Paid app versions RRS feed

• Question

• This has probably been discussed a lot so I apologize in advance...but I am working on my first WP7 app and trying to determine best distribution model.

Based on some posts I read here it looks like to get any traction for most relatively simple "one person dev" - app/games free with ads model is the way to go...
    With that said I believe my app will have enough quality and content to try and go with paid version too.

Does it make sense to provide free version of the app with some features (levels) disabled (+ads) and also essentially the same trial version (same features disabled + ads too)?

Are publishers in any way required to differentiate between free and trial/paid app or we can release 2 apps where free version and trial version are 100% match, while paid version has full set of features?

Thanks,
    Dzipi

Monday, December 19, 2011 11:07 PM

All replies

• Are publishers in any way required to differentiate between free and trial/paid app or we can release 2 apps where free version and trial version are 100% match, while paid version has full set of features?
    You need not to have 2 separate versions for free and paid apps. You can follow this link for how to create a trial version http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff967558(v=vs.92).aspx. Additionally you can download a sample app for trial from MS using this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff431744(v=vs.92).aspx.

Use this inbuilt functionality in WP to restrict the option for trial version of ur app.

Although there is no restriction if you want to have 2 separate version (one free and another paid). But that may not be the best practice :-)

Hope this info help!!

Thanks and Regards
    Nishant Rana
    • Proposed as answer by hfrmobile Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:36 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:59 AM
  • Hi,
     we would like to change the price of one of our apps to 0$ (free) for one week to promote it.
    In this case, what changes if we check, or not check, the "enable trial" checkbox ?

Thanks for the support.
    David
    Venetasoft
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:07 AM
  • well set the price to 0.00 and disabled trial thats all you need to do.

its easy to support paid / trial / free in single code base.
    http://invokeit.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/free-trial-and-paid-apps/
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:33 PM
  • Agreed. That's also the way I am doing it (developing). As user I also prefer that way. When I test/trial an app and later I may decide buying it I do not need to reconfigure everything since there is a way to "upgrade" the app from trial to full ;-)

As far I know that it is not allowed by the certification requirements doing a time-limited trial of an app. But there are apps on the Store doing exactly this. Is it allowed now or what?

e.g. A very good Calculator but limited for a 23 hours use.

Programming is a kind of art but not all programmers are artists.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:42 AM