none
An application I am using requires a script to make a symbolic link...It is impossible RRS feed

• Question

• After all the steps I tried I just tried to mklink dev blah where dev is a directory. I get permission denied. Then I go to process explorer and try to find out what is blocking it. I find it is in Srp\GP\Dll and others. I disable UAC go to gpedit.msc and then make sure create symbolic links is enabled. Then I go to Software Restriction Policies Click on the Action tab and find out I can't and there are no policies defined. I try it logged in as the Administrator, still no go. I have been hacked in the past but I would like the freedom to define my own SRP's in order to allow this one program. So for now all the good stuff I have in Windows is basically useless for the next few months or so because I have to run linux in a virtual machine and do the run around of make changes upload download and test. This is not a very good way to do things.

Anyone have any suggestions or reasons if you care to speak why this is happening?

Sunday, September 8, 2019 6:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

mklink <Link> <Target>, I suppose the "dev" is the Target and "blah" is the Link.

You should try to use "mklink blah dev".

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink

Best regards,

Drake

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 9, 2019 1:59 AM
  • I don't see any problem. This system has developer mode enabled so I don't require admin rights. On my surface where I don't have developer mode enabled, I have to elevate to get symbolic link creation rights.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Friday, September 13, 2019 4:50 AM