Localize app name RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. My app just appear in Store. But i have problem. My app have 2 languages. In dashboard app name, i have reserved 2 names. But how can i set this name is for language 1, this name is for language 2? In my app manifest, i set Display Name as "ms-resource:appname" and in resource files i set appname. Name at tile is good showing, depends on language choose at control panel. But app name in Store is always first name on reserved list. How can i achieve that? I must set it in dashboard? Or at appmanifest?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:38 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Can you look in the resources.pri file of your appx package (explained below) to ensure that ms-resource:appname is set appropriately?

How to see resources.pri.xml file:

1) Re-name appx package to .zip extension, since appx is in zip format.

2) Open zip file

3) Open resources.pri.xml file.

In the package which I have, there is a

<DisplayName>ms-resource:/strings/Str1</DisplayName>

when I look at

<ResourceMapSubtree name="strings">
     <NamedResource name="Str1" uri="ms-resource://%%publisherdisplayname%%.%%appname%%/strings/Str1">
      <Candidate type="String" qualifiers="Language-ja-jp"> <Value>reserved appname ja-jp</Value> </Candidate>
      <Candidate type="String" qualifiers="Language-en-us" isDefault="true"> <Value>reserved appname en-us</Value> </Candidate>
     </NamedResource>

where %%publisherdisplayname%% is your publisherdisplayname

and %%appname%% is your appname.

Perhaps you're missing the /strings/ in the appx manifest, but without seeing what the resources.pri.xml file looks like, I'm only speculating.

Ben Grover

Microsoft

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:34 PM
  • Thx Ben, after 24 hours its have English name in store ;)

• Marked as answer by raximus Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:33 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:33 AM

All replies

• How are you verifying the name of the app in the store?  I'm assuming you would need to change the language to the secondary language in Windows 8 Language preferences and restart the Store, in order to see your app in the other language.

Ben

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:48 PM
  • Yes, i did it this way. All other localize apps(like MS weather, MS maps) have in English screens, description and Store name, changing second language and restart, name screens and discription are in second language. In my app, when i change language, only screens and description are changing. Store name at 2 languages are same.

I think i must set somehow in dashboard "1 reserved name is for English, 2 reserved name is for xxx language". How Store know that?

I dont know can i post here my app name;p

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Hello,

Can you look in the resources.pri file of your appx package (explained below) to ensure that ms-resource:appname is set appropriately?

How to see resources.pri.xml file:

1) Re-name appx package to .zip extension, since appx is in zip format.

2) Open zip file

3) Open resources.pri.xml file.

In the package which I have, there is a

<DisplayName>ms-resource:/strings/Str1</DisplayName>

when I look at

<ResourceMapSubtree name="strings">
     <NamedResource name="Str1" uri="ms-resource://%%publisherdisplayname%%.%%appname%%/strings/Str1">
      <Candidate type="String" qualifiers="Language-ja-jp"> <Value>reserved appname ja-jp</Value> </Candidate>
      <Candidate type="String" qualifiers="Language-en-us" isDefault="true"> <Value>reserved appname en-us</Value> </Candidate>
     </NamedResource>

where %%publisherdisplayname%% is your publisherdisplayname

and %%appname%% is your appname.

Perhaps you're missing the /strings/ in the appx manifest, but without seeing what the resources.pri.xml file looks like, I'm only speculating.

Ben Grover

Microsoft

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:34 PM
  • I made 1) and 2). How to open resources.pri? Browser cant open it, VS cant too. Notepad open it, but some strange chars only.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:03 PM
  • My apologies, resources.pri.xml.  I will update the above answer as well

Ben

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:06 PM
  • resources.pri.xml wasnt in appx, only resources.pri. I use MakePri.exe dump to make resources.pri.xml It contains:

<ResourceMapSubtree name="Resources">
      <NamedResource name="Appname" uri="ms-resource://XXX.XXX/Resources/Appname">
        <Candidate type="String" qualifiers="Language-PL">
          <Value>Polish name</Value>
        </Candidate>
        <Candidate type="String" qualifiers="Language-EN-US" isDefault="true">
          <Value>English name</Value>
        </Candidate>
      </NamedResource>

Why you are using ms-resource:/strings/Str1 instead of simply ms-resource:Str1?

Second strange, my resource is Appname, but when i put ms-resource:Appname in appmanifest, it throw error. With ms-resource:appname name on tile is fine.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:17 PM
  • This is not my area of expertise.  Can you see if you are able to use ms-resource://XXX.XXX/Resources/Appname instead of ms-resource:Appname?

Thanks,

Ben

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:51 PM
  • I made as you suggest, but results are same.

My manifest have localized Package DisplayName and Visual DisplayName. My resources files have:

en-us: Good Plan

pl-pl: Dobry Plan

After upload package to StorePortal, i have:
    Description: English (United States)

App name: Good plan

Description: Polish

App name: Dobry plan

So its succesfull read app names from localize manifest. Unfortunately, Store still show only Dobry Plan

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/pl-PL/app/dobry-plan/280d2e15-4920-4826-aed6-a785837e32ec

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-US/app/dobry-plan/280d2e15-4920-4826-aed6-a785837e32ec

Can i have more help?(delete links if its not legal)

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 11:13 AM
  • When did your app get re-published?  I have noticed that it can take up to 24 hours for store data to become updated after publish.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Thx Ben, after 24 hours its have English name in store ;)

• Marked as answer by raximus Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:33 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Can you mark my answer as the answer?  Thanks, Ben
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Hello! I've got the same problem. I registered a German and an English name for my app in the Windows Store Dashboard.
    Then
    I created two files in my solution:

Strings/de/Resources.resw with name "AppName" and value "German Title"
    Strings/en/Resources.resw with name "AppName" and value "English Title"

Afterwards I clicked on "Edit App Manifest". In the "display name" field I set "ms-resource:/AppName" but when I want to build my app I get an error which says that "NamedResource" cannot be found. 

What am I doing wrong?

Greetings

Benny

Saturday, October 6, 2012 12:48 AM