none
Store Upload Failure: Visual Studio fails to configure Package Family Name for Microsoft Store RRS feed

• Question

• I recently failed to update our UWP App "Teron Offroad".
    I took the following steps:
    1.) Link our app to the Microsoft Store via Visual Studio 2019 16.2.2.
    2.) Build our APPXUPLOAD packages for the App Release, using the previously linked store configuration.
    3.) Try to upload those APPXUPLOAD packages to the Microsoft Store, which failed due to: "Invalid package family name" and "
    Invalid package publisher name".

This bug is extremely annoying since the upload checks fails at the very end of the lengthy build-upload-procedure.at illustrate the bug.
    Friday, September 6, 2019 11:34 PM

All replies

• Please find those screenshots that illustrate the bug:

https://ibb.co/mS9d6tr
    https://ibb.co/0CsLbyY
    https://ibb.co/k5jp0pz

I cannot directly upload images due to forum policies.

• Edited by fkirc Friday, September 6, 2019 11:40 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2019 11:40 PM
  • Hi fkirc,

Your screenshots include the packageName and Publisher ID, you'd better to hide these info for personal inforamtion protection.

>Invalid package family name" and "Invalid package publisher name".
    Please clean and rebuild your project, then re-associate your project with Store. After the association , you could open your appxmanifest.xml file to check the configuration with the follow picture. If your configuration is identical to the Identity details page , you could to package your app and upload the package in the dashboard.

Best regards
    Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 9, 2019 3:16 AM
  • The problem is that I already checked the Package.appxmanifest.

The Package.appxmanifest contains the values that are identical to our product identity page in the Microsoft Store.

• Edited by fkirc Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:16 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:08 PM
  • Hi fkirc,

Sorry for this delay reply. You issue is strange, could you make a sample app, associate it with Store, package it and then upload it in the Dashboard to see if it can be recognized? 

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:25 AM
  • I was now able to solve the issue, but I still believe that this is a serious problem with Visual Studio:

Visual Studio used a wrong bogus certificate to sign my APPXUPLOAD package.
    To solve the issue, I deleted this bogus cert and generated a new cert that matched the Microsoft store app identity (Package.appxmanifest -> Package -> Select certificate -> generate and select a new cert).

More specifically, the bogus cert was issued by "CN=My Company Name".
    In contrast, the Microsoft store requires a cert issuer like "CN=2A92A614-DD5D-5482-95DD-AC3F037A7AB0", which matches the Microsoft store app identity.

In other words, Visual Studio used a wrong cert although I linked the app with the Microsoft Store beforehand!
    The build printed the following serious log message:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v16.0\AppxPackage\Microsoft.AppXPackage.Targets(2591,5): warning : The publisher name (CN="2A92A614-DD5D-5482-95DD-AC3F037A7AB0") does not match with the signature issuer: CN="My Company Name". The publisher name is updated.

This log message is insane. Visual Studio performed a silent update of the publisher name! I believe that Visual Studio should abort the build process if the cert issuer does not match the publisher name. Unfortunately, silently continuing the build means to spit out broken APPXUPLOAD packages, which causes much more waste of time afterwards.

• Edited by fkirc Sunday, September 29, 2019 9:18 PM
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 8:52 PM