none
[WPSL]How send Tile Notification with ExpirationTime using MPNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed an Windows Phone 8 application. I have configured MPNS notifications. Every thinks working fine. Recently my client want to expiration time for tile notification. Real time scenario: Day 1, I have sent an tile notification saying "Offer ends today... Hurry!!!". Day1 user not picked the notification. But User still see Day1 notification until next notification arrives, expired information appears even after many days. 

I want to set notification expiry time in payload. How to achieve this? 

Thanks

Pallam Madhukar Windows Phone Developer

• Edited by Pallam Madhukar Monday, November 2, 2015 7:40 AM
    • Edited by Barry Wang Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:16 AM Edit title
    Monday, November 2, 2015 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hello Pallam Madhukar,

I changed your title based on your "Windows Phone 8 application" but I didn't find the ExpirationTime on Windows Phone Silverlight API. All I can find is the Windows Runtime API and ExpirationTime property.

For push notification, I can think that we need notify the server about the expire and stop the server to send the notification. But the problem is that I seems also haven't find a good way to do this based on the following article:

Push Notification Service response codes for Windows Phone 8

Recommended practices for using Microsoft Push Notification Service (MPNS)

So my research seems tell us it is just hard for us to use MPNS to do this. Would you mind to change to use WNS?

Choosing MPNS or WNS for a Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app

Maybe that will be much easier.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by andrewbares7 Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Monday, November 16, 2015 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:15 AM

All replies

• Hello Pallam Madhukar,

I changed your title based on your "Windows Phone 8 application" but I didn't find the ExpirationTime on Windows Phone Silverlight API. All I can find is the Windows Runtime API and ExpirationTime property.

For push notification, I can think that we need notify the server about the expire and stop the server to send the notification. But the problem is that I seems also haven't find a good way to do this based on the following article:

Push Notification Service response codes for Windows Phone 8

Recommended practices for using Microsoft Push Notification Service (MPNS)

So my research seems tell us it is just hard for us to use MPNS to do this. Would you mind to change to use WNS?

Choosing MPNS or WNS for a Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app

Maybe that will be much easier.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by andrewbares7 Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Monday, November 16, 2015 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:15 AM
  • Barry's answer is correct.

There's no way to set an expiration time using MPN (Silverlight 8.0).

If you upgrade your app to Silverlight 8.1 and switch to WNS, you can use the ExpirationTime property (and the WNS header) to specify an expiration time for your toast when pushing it from your server.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:18 PM